Author Topic: Dave's blog  (Read 32356 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's blog
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
Well, Dave has lifted the veil of silence. He's been quitting smoking for the last three weeks, so maybe he's been, umm, distracted. Sounds like he is having a tough time of it--reading between the lines, he still seems to have the urge. But he's a longtime smoker, so it's understandable I guess. Hard for me to know what he's going thru, since I have never smoked more than a puff or two (tobacco) my entire life. But I understand that it's hard.

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=2252&id=35

Dave's friend Larry is a damned fool.  Other reasons to quit smoking: (1) so you can capably walk 5 miles again, have the energy to maybe walk to work once in a while; (2) to reduce the odds that your family will have to watch you wither into a cancer-ridden husk; (3) to save, in a modest estimate of three packs a week, over $100 a month.

I smoked from roughly summer '93 to Sept. '96.  I was fortunate enough to have never gotten physically hooked on the nicotine, so when I quit upon moving to SF (that is, upon realizing I'd double my chances of finding a roommate if I were a non-smoker), I didn't have much difficulty.  So I can't empathize with the difficulty in quitting.  I can, however, reiterate the value in trying.

I agree with you in principle, Gaz, but will point out that I CAN still walk 5 miles, or more, and do on a pretty regular basis (walking a golf course, which I do at least once a week, turns into about a 5 mile hike, and my course is very hilly).  A couple years ago some friends and I were camping up in the Sierra's and hiked 4 miles up to a lake at about 9 thousand feet.  After I beat them all up the hill, one of them mentioned that he was amazed I did so well going up the hill, considering I smoked.  The anti-smoking lobby has done a great job in portraying smokers as weak and dying, which, though partially true, is blown out of proportion.  It's not quite "Reefer Madness", but it is scare tactics.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
Most recent entry, he's off the Chantix and back to the Kools or so it seems. Tough habit to break. Glad to say cigs have never been part of my life.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »
Most recent entry, he's off the Chantix and back to the Kools or so it seems. Tough habit to break. Glad to say cigs have never been part of my life.

Sorry to hear he wasn't able to kick the nicotine, but from what I hear those drugs they keep coming up with for suppressing the cravings for tobacco are no fun either--all kinds of weird side effects. Can't entirely blame Dave for quitting quitting--he took the devil he knows over the one he doesn't.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »

Sorry to hear he wasn't able to kick the nicotine, but from what I hear those drugs they keep coming up with for suppressing the cravings for tobacco are no fun either--all kinds of weird side effects. Can't entirely blame Dave for quitting quitting--he took the devil he knows over the one he doesn't.

My doctor suggested Chantix too, but I did some research and decided against.  I'll go with nicotine substitutes (again) the next time I make the attempt, which will be soon.  Too bad they can't just put me in an induced coma for 8 months or so, get me past the intitial cravings.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
Dave''s latest entry is about tomorrow's Pride Set, and also about his being gay. Re the former, he promises to mix it up a bit. Does that mean no "I Kissed A Girl" or "Glad to be Gay"? Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Re the latter, once again Dave's sharing more about his personal life than about any other DJ I can think of (except maybe Vin Scelsa). One more reason he is an anomaly in today's media (and I mean that in an entirely positive way).

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=2330&id=35
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Dave''s latest entry is about tomorrow's Pride Set, and also about his being gay. Re the former, he promises to mix it up a bit. Does that mean no "I Kissed A Girl" or "Glad to be Gay"? Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Re the latter, once again Dave's sharing more about his personal life than about any other DJ I can think of (except maybe Vin Scelsa). One more reason he is an anomaly in today's media (and I mean that in an entirely positive way).

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=2330&id=35

That's great stuff.  Looking forward to the replay tomorrow nite.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
So this is kinda weird. Dave's most recent blog post, in which he recommends a few films, has disappeared entirely.

And I also found that the link to the KFOG Blog page in the left nav is no longer there, either. You can get to it if you just go to the Community page, but there's no direct link in the popout window from the Community tab.

Wonder if KFOG has had enough of the blogging thing? (Dave has by far been the most frequent blogger.)

Generally, blog posts have not elicited a large amount of replies, even when asked for specifically. (Compare KFOG's blogs to, say, sfgate's). So it may be a "why bother anymore?" attitude.

Looks like they've returned the Blog link back to where it was on the "Community" pop-up menu.

Just went to look at KFOG blogs -- only Dave's has an entry (about a friend selling an old car) and there's no history of old posts. 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »
So this is kinda weird. Dave's most recent blog post, in which he recommends a few films, has disappeared entirely.

And I also found that the link to the KFOG Blog page in the left nav is no longer there, either. You can get to it if you just go to the Community page, but there's no direct link in the popout window from the Community tab.

Wonder if KFOG has had enough of the blogging thing? (Dave has by far been the most frequent blogger.)

Generally, blog posts have not elicited a large amount of replies, even when asked for specifically. (Compare KFOG's blogs to, say, sfgate's). So it may be a "why bother anymore?" attitude.

Looks like they've returned the Blog link back to where it was on the "Community" pop-up menu.

Just went to look at KFOG blogs -- only Dave's has an entry (about a friend selling an old car) and there's no history of old posts. 

Was just catching up on my web surfing after a week AFK (away from the keyboard), and made the same discovery. The KFOG blog link now points to the Airstaff page, and only Dave has any kind of journal entry. Very weird. But I guess blogging is s-o-o-o-o 2007....
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »

Was just catching up on my web surfing after a week AFK (away from the keyboard), and made the same discovery. The KFOG blog link now points to the Airstaff page, and only Dave has any kind of journal entry. Very weird. But I guess blogging is s-o-o-o-o 2007....

Just read DM's latest entry, and he mentions that KFOG is having problems with its blog interface, that they can't upload any of their entries, but they're working on it. So it sounds like they're making special effort to get Dave's blog posted via the airstaff page, but no one else is getting that treatment.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
Adding a link here to Dave's last pre-move blog:
http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#hallmark

Have to keep reminding myself, he's really leaving. His last show is next Friday. It's coming far too fast.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
Not really a blog entry, but was looking at the KFOG airstaff pages, just to see what's up there these days, and noted that there are three pretty good pics of Dave (and Gavin Newsom) on his page, shot by Jim Marshall, who I believe guested on Dave's penultimate day on the air.

http://www.kfog.com/PROGRAMMING/AirstaffBlogs/DaveMorey/tabid/124/Default.aspx
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
Not really a blog entry, but was looking at the KFOG airstaff pages, just to see what's up there these days, and noted that there are three pretty good pics of Dave (and Gavin Newsom) on his page, shot by Jim Marshall, who I believe guested on Dave's penultimate day on the air.

nice pics; wish they were linked to larger versions.  And I wish for a speedy return of "new" Dave.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

nice pics; wish they were linked to larger versions.  And I wish for a speedy return of "new" Dave.

I had just clicked on that after grabbing today's setlist.  I never new Gavin was that tall.  I'm 6'1", and I don't tower over Dave like that in the couple of pics of me with him.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010