Author Topic: 1 June 2009: the Annalisa era begins in... 1995  (Read 20508 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: 1 June 2009: the Annalisa era begins in... 1995
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »
Did you guys catch the KFOG "button" or whatever the fuck they call it when they annoyingly drop a KFOG sounder on top of the intro to a song?  They slapped it onto the opening jangliness of "Breakfast at Tiffanys".  It annoys the crap out of me when they do it during regular hours, but 10@10 *used* to be free of them.  Guess they really want to brand the crap out of this sucker now that Dave isn't around to veto that shit.  Annoying.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »
Also weird -- background music (I think it's called a "bed") behind Annalisa as she did the rundown.  Ugh.  I know it's her trademark, as she uses similar music during the bonus track, or my 3 songs.  (I guess she apparently doesn't feel as comfortable with just her voice alone, or comes from the school of radio-must-have-lots-of-crap-going-on-in-the-background-for-it-to-be-good.)  I was definitely missing Dave during that part.  When a 10@10 was over, it was like sitting down with a really good friend and having a great chat.  *SIIIIGH*.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
The song directly following the set was that Dave Matthews song that's getting heavy play right now, but following that was Lennon's Starting Over. Perhaps a little subtext there for the fogheads?
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
BTW, I actually like Katy Perry, and not just she's the new young hawt thang.  Supposedly before she turned into a pop-sensation (and same-sex kissing controversy starter, but uh, seriously, 1995 anyone?) she was doing the singer-songwriter thing quite credibly:
http://laist.com/2009/01/15/holly_conlan_meiko_katy_perry.php

Anywho, some interesting backstory about her Christian upbringing and whatnot, which is well, interesting to me as a lapsed Evangelical:
http://blog.beliefnet.com/gospelsoundcheck/2008/06/katy-perry-christian-recording.html

Oh, speaking of 1995 girl-kissing -- has anybody checked out the new Jill Sobule CD?  The buzz on NPR and elsewhere is about how amazing it is that she fan-financed the whole thing, offering anything from t-shirts or some tchotckes to actually a getting to sing backing vocals in exchange for donations/investments.  (Well, it's not an investment because they don't get anything on the back-end.)

Anywho, that's all fine and well, along with Trent Reznor, Wilco and other already established bands just giving away their music.  But they had the help of the now *evil* labels to get established, so it's never really rung true.

On the other hand, Jonathan Coulton is the man.  Again, Google and discuss.

No wait, I love the man so much I'll give you some links to some videos I shot two years back.  He's geek rock, through and through, and because of that, he's been able to make a living without any label.  Totally DIY, totally Internet, and to top it off, he writes songs about geeky stuff (a giant squid?) that actually speak to everyone (well, some of us):

Big Internet Hit, "Code Monkey":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icj2O_isQv0

"Tom Cruise Crazy" (self-explanatory):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y651XvX6VkM

Aforementioned Giant Squid song, "I Crush Everything":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc07lpuc3p0

Obligatory white-boy cover of rap song "Baby Got Back" (which really put him on the map):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg_37QYL-94

Lastly two of my favorites, a heartfelt song about George Plimpton (no really) "A Talk With George":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_x-80gJ6Q

And a love song about lost love, in the future.  "The Future Soon":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SGACSLdRY

Ahhhh.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:07:10 AM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
Also weird -- background music (I think it's called a "bed") behind Annalisa as she did the rundown.  Ugh.  I know it's her trademark, as she uses similar music during the bonus track, or my 3 songs.  (I guess she apparently doesn't feel as comfortable with just her voice alone, or comes from the school of radio-must-have-lots-of-crap-going-on-in-the-background-for-it-to-be-good.)  I was definitely missing Dave during that part.  When a 10@10 was over, it was like sitting down with a really good friend and having a great chat.  *SIIIIGH*.

I heard Rosalie using a background-music-bed over the weekend too. It's very much a consultant-mandated idea. It supposedly tricks the typical station-flipping listener (in cars especially) into stopping to listen because they hear music rather than just talking.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
Hey, anyone heard from the Princess recently? Don't think she's checked in here in a couple weeks--she may be surprised to learn the latest developments.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »

I heard Rosalie using a background-music-bed over the weekend too. It's very much a consultant-mandated idea. It supposedly tricks the typical station-flipping listener (in cars especially) into stopping to listen because they hear music rather than just talking.

Was this during morning sunrise/sunset?  Seems like she's got a little more autonomy then.

Again, I love those shows because 1) I'm a sucker for acoustic folk/pop, especially covers of typically non-acoustic songs, and 2) because again, listening to Rosalie between songs is like listening to a good friend.  To boot, she's done some wonderful shout-outs to my son's on the occasions of their births and first birthdays.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:18:35 AM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »

Was this during morning sunrise/sunset? 

actually it was Saturday morning around 11:30; she was doing a regular shift.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

That was just weird, and not clever.  What did she say about "Katy not making it up" in the backsell for "I Kissed a Girl"?

Pop chanteuse of the moment Katy Perry had a hit recently called I Kissed A Girl--but I've never heard it so not sure if it's the same song. (Guessing not.)

Not the same song.

http://babyivebeenthinking.blogspot.com/2008/06/katy-perry-i-kissed-girl.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

That was just weird, and not clever.  What did she say about "Katy not making it up" in the backsell for "I Kissed a Girl"?

Pop chanteuse of the moment Katy Perry had a hit recently called I Kissed A Girl--but I've never heard it so not sure if it's the same song. (Guessing not.)

Not the same song.

http://babyivebeenthinking.blogspot.com/2008/06/katy-perry-i-kissed-girl.html

good post!  Seattle's alt-weekly The Stranger had a similar take a couple months after you:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=675052

Katy's not "lesbian until graduation," she's "lesbian until the cameras are off."
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
Btw, I assume you all caught Annalisa say tomorrow we'd be going "way way back."  It will be telling to find out what constitutes "way way back" in the new world order.

Hoping for 1965. Afraid she meant 1978.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »
No set-list posted as of 12:30, but TANC, Austin "Bob" did '95 today too...

http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=5923.0

at least Annalisa spared us Alanis.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »
No set-list posted as of 12:30, but TANC, Austin "Bob" did '95 today too...

http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=5923.0

at least Annalisa spared us Alanis.

Not to mention Bryan and Mariah. I'd take Annalisa's set over that one in a heartbeat.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »

I didn't notice the bed today, but I've heard it used well in some cases (for instance, the use of Kraftwerk's Autobahn during traffic reports on the Morning show.  And Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired,)  Then again, if it's part of the corporate cookie cutter radio mandate thing, I'd like to see it dumped, just because!  *gives power fist salute*
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired

of course, Dave thought that up originally, when M3S was a daily (9am) Morning Show feature.  I'm surprised it's still used, actually, since no probably one in KFOG's target demo has actually *seen* an episode of My Three Sons