Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65813 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't know that!
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
I'd always heard that a number of actresses had turned down the part of Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but per Wiki it was turned down by (hold onto your hat, princess!) Anne Bancroft, Colleen Dewhurst, Geraldine Page, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, and Angela Lansbury!

TANC:  I just bought that DVD on my lunch hour excursion to Costco, where it was only $8.99 for the 2-disc 30th anniversary ed.

fwiw, I can see most of them in that role, but not Fonda or Dewhurst.  Lansbury would have been great!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
I'd always heard that a number of actresses had turned down the part of Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but per Wiki it was turned down by (hold onto your hat, princess!) Anne Bancroft, Colleen Dewhurst, Geraldine Page, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, and Angela Lansbury!

TANC:  I just bought that DVD on my lunch hour excursion to Costco, where it was only $8.99 for the 2-disc 30th anniversary ed.

fwiw, I can see most of them in that role, but not Fonda or Dewhurst.  Lansbury would have been great!

Indeed, Fonda would've been totally wrong in '75 -- too young, certainly (tho' Fletcher was made up to look older than she was). I'm not sure what Dewhurst looked like in '75 -- picturing her in her late-'80s role as Murphy Brown's mom, tho'...

BTW Fonda is doing a B'way play next month (her first in 30 or 40 years).  At 71, she'd be terrific as the venom-spewing, pill-popping matriarch in the film of August: Osage County, which I saw on stage last year. But odds are Streep'll get the part.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 02:01:47 PM »
News to me: Gwen Dickey of Rose Royce, on the CG retro-chart show, says that RR's hit "Wishing on a Star" was written for Barbra Streisand, who passed for whatever reason, and then it ended up in Norman Whitfield's hands and he had Gwen and RR record it.  I can totally imagine the Babs version.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
Bob Shannon on 'LNG just played the Assembled Multitude's "Overture from Tommy" and I never knew that they were session guys from Philly! I always assumed they were Brits.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
wow, 2 "I Didn't Know That"s in one day:  The O'Kaysions, whose "Girl Watcher" is a classic OHW, were WHITE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raJWuz7qQVc

I've totally assumed they were black for 40 years. You KNOW this will be my "Wednesday One Hit Wonder" on FB tomorrow.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
wow, 2 "I Didn't Know That"s in one day:  The O'Kaysions, whose "Girl Watcher" is a classic OHW, were WHITE!!

I've totally assumed they were black for 40 years. You KNOW this will be my "Wednesday One Hit Wonder" on FB tomorrow.
are they in that "Beach Music" genre from the East Coast?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »

are they in that "Beach Music" genre from the East Coast?

yes, absolutely.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
Dunno if you've ever seen the 1963 movie Take Her She's Mine -- Jimmy Stewart as an overprotective dad who follows his college-age daughter (Sandra Dee) to Paris. Hilarity ensues! It used to show up on TV quite often back in the day.

What i didn't know is: the screenplay (orig a hit B'way play) was written by Henry & Phoebe Ephron, a husband-and-wife team who based the Sandra Dee character on their teenage daughter... Nora Ephron, who grew up to be the writer of When Harry Met Sally and Heartburn and director of Sleepless and Seattle and most recently Julie & Julia!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »
A FB friend posted a link to a vid of the Music Machine's Talk Talk, and something led me to check their Wikipedia bio, where I learned that the bass player in MM was one Keith Olsen, who went on to be a highly successful producer in the 70s (Fleetwood Mac's self-titled breakthrough album, the Dead's Terrapin Station, to name just two). Had no idea. From such humble beginnings...

From Wikipedia:
Over the years that followed, he worked with such top talent as the Grateful Dead, Bob Weir, Eddie Money, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Rick Springfield, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Heart, Joe Walsh, Starship, Santana, Kim Carnes, Jethro Tull, The Babys, Ozzy Osbourne, the Scorpions, .38 Special, Bad Company, Sammy Hagar, Russ Ballard, Whitesnake, Foreigner, Sheena Easton, Journey, Loverboy, and Lou Gramm, He also moved into film work during the 1980s, working on the soundtracks to the megahits Footloose and Flashdance, the Disney sci-f/adventure Tron, and the box office smash Top Gun.

Not exactly critical faves, but more than a few huge sellers in that list.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »
I never thought about what the Rush instrumental song title "YYZ" meant.  Just learned it's the airport identification code for the Toronto airport.  Interesting.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
Listening to a recent (10/31) Vin Scelsa show on the 'FUV website. Yo La Tengo are live in studio, and one of the members of YLT is named Georgia Hubley -- turns out her parents were John & Faith Hubley, the famous animators. John Hubley, after working for Disney for many years created "Mr Magoo"! And was forced to leave UPA (the studio that made the Magoo cartoons) when he refused to name names to Joe McCarthy and HUAC.  I did not know that!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
Listening to a recent (10/31) Vin Scelsa show on the 'FUV website. Yo La Tengo are live in studio, and one of the members of YLT is named Georgia Hubley -- turns out her parents were John & Faith Hubley, the famous animators. John Hubley, after working for Disney for many years created "Mr Magoo"! And was forced to leave UPA (the studio that made the Magoo cartoons) when he refused to name names to Joe McCarthy and HUAC.  I did not know that!

I did. 

(Except for the part about McCarthy and having to leave his job at UPA.)

Georgia's sister Emily is also an animator/filmmaker. She did the animated portions of the film version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

http://www.emilyhubley.com/index.html

Also, did you get to the second half of Vin's program? He played the Paul Williams version of You and Me Against The World, which I'm sure I hadn't heard in 30+ years. He said he is going on a Paul Williams kick, so would likely be playing more of his music in the coming weeks.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »
How did I miss the fact that Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr are now in-laws? Joe married Ringo's sister-in-law Marjorie Bach last December.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2009, 01:28:27 PM »
maybe I did know this and just forgot it long ago, but during his salute to Jackie DeShannon, Li'l Steven played a bit of Zep's "Tangerine" and said Jimmy Page wrote it about Ms DeS.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
How did I miss the fact that Joe Walsh and Ringo Starr are now in-laws? Joe married Ringo's sister-in-law Marjorie Bach last December.

Didn't Joe play in one or more editions of Ringo's All-Starr Band during the Eagles hiatus?
Let's get right to it.