Author Topic: 16 June 2006 -- 1968!!  (Read 11070 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
list
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
6/16/2006 - FRIDAY!!!!! Back, back, back to...1968!!

1.   Beach Boys - Do it Again      
2.   Aretha Franklin - Think      
3.   Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind   
4.   Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair      
5.   Johnny Nash - Hold Me Tight      
6.   Quicksilver Messenger Service - Pride of Man (BEST OF SET!!)
7.   Fever Tree - San Francisco Girls      
8.   Elvis - U.S. Male      
9.   Beatles - Hey Jude      
10.   Spanky & Our Gang - Give a Damn      

BONUS TRACK:  Steve Miller Band - Quicksilver Girl
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 10:03:38 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The Shray man's gonna be bummed, unless he gets to hear this in the car.

Dave begins with one of his fave '68 Katrinas, "Do It Again".

Which I can't get enough of.  Though changing it up with "I Can Hear Music" (or, dare I dream, "Never Learn Not to Love") [ETA: Or "Darlin'."] once in a while would be welcome.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 10:06:19 PM »
The Shray man's gonna be bummed, unless he gets to hear this in the car.

Dave begins with one of his fave '68 Katrinas, "Do It Again".

The Shray was groovin' his way down to Santa Cruz, but missed songs 5-6-7 while picking up some food for the picnic lunch.  So I'm catching up on the replay.  Woo Hoo!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 10:09:52 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "Davefish"
OMGWTFLOL! Elvis, "US Male" -- a breakout, it seems to me. BOS4!

Dated, maybe?  "that makes her the property of this US Male".  Oy.

Not dated if you're a Southern Baptist or a Promise Keeper.  But yeah, Oy indeed.

Or a Mormon...

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »
I'm surprised no one pointed out the neat segue from Cronkite's Tet Offensive summation, into the "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost the American people" quote, into "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" with the lines:

Generals order their soldiers to kill
And to fight for a cause
They've long ago forgotten

Although SF/C was tied for the biggest '68 Katrina coming in, so maybe that's why y'all didn't comment.  Song still gives me chills & its relevance is, unfortunately, undiminished.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 10:39:32 PM »
"Do It Again".

Which I can't get enough of.  

Worth noting, then, that at the time the song was considered both a  throwaway and a throwback, and a somewhat embarrassing one, particularly by those who had embraced the BBs post-"Good Vibrations" output.  "A step backward creatively" was the cry from many. And it was a rather jarring and incongruous thing to hear on the radio in the midst of 2 assassinatons and a Chicago convention riot.  Of course hindsight being 20/20, we can appreciate it now for the delightful instant-nostalgia piece that it was/is.

Interesting coda to this set: the Balboa theater is in the midst of a Boris Karloff fest, and tonite I saw Targets (1968), Peter Bogdanovich's first film. An amazing relic of the time, if you've never seen it.

God, "Give a Damn" is a great song!  I had one of those "Give a Damn" buttons and wore it everywhere (which made me real popular in my Archie Bunker-esque Queens nabe).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Song still gives me chills & its relevance is, unfortunately, undiminished.

As is true of "Pride of Man" and "Give a Damn."  Would that some of today's artists attempt some kind of social relevance (as opposed to social reflection, which doesn't do as much good).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »

God, "Give a Damn" is a great song!  

Yep, sounding even better the second time around.  Sure hope Dave replays this in either the 2 or 3 slot tomorrow, 'cause I'll definitely catch it a 3rd time in that case.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »
"Do It Again".

Which I can't get enough of.  

Worth noting, then, that at the time the song was considered both a  throwaway and a throwback, and a somewhat embarrassing one, particularly by those who had embraced the BBs post-"Good Vibrations" output.  "A step backward creatively" was the cry from many. And it was a rather jarring and incongruous thing to hear on the radio in the midst of 2 assassinatons and a Chicago convention riot.  Of course hindsight being 20/20, we can appreciate it now for the delightful instant-nostalgia piece that it was/is.

Interesting coda to this set: the Balboa theater is in the midst of a Boris Karloff fest, and tonite I saw Targets (1968), Peter Bogdanovich's first film. An amazing relic of the time, if you've never seen it.

God, "Give a Damn" is a great song!  I had one of those "Give a Damn" buttons and wore it everywhere (which made me real popular in my Archie Bunker-esque Queens nabe).

Funny how I never really thought about the distance in perspective between someone who's lived through the year in question and someone who hasn't.  You've apprehended my approach to the song precisely.

Think more logo-ing and slogan-ing would do any good for today's peace movement?  Or are the kids too jaded for that?  I'm dying to know how to get a young machine into motion.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
Song still gives me chills & its relevance is, unfortunately, undiminished.

As is true of "Pride of Man" and "Give a Damn."  Would that some of today's artists attempt some kind of social relevance (as opposed to social reflection, which doesn't do as much good).

It happens, it just doesn't get on the radio in as widespread a manner as it did back then. I wish you had access to KPIG, they play a LOT of current, VERY political stuff.  I still say that Pink song, "Mr President", is quite amazing.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
I wish you had access to KPIG, they play a LOT of current, VERY political stuff.  I still say that Pink song, "Mr President", is quite amazing.

Where do I find KPIG on my dial?  I keep meaning to look it up.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
16 June 2006 -- 1968!!
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »
I wish you had access to KPIG, they play a LOT of current, VERY political stuff.  I still say that Pink song, "Mr President", is quite amazing.

Where do I find KPIG on my dial?  I keep meaning to look it up.

1510 AM -- but good luck getting them in the East Bay, the signal's low-power and pretty crappy. The FM version, based in Freedom/Watsonville is at 107.5 (you coulda listened today in Santa Cruz) but doesn't carry north of SJ. They're also on another frequency in SLO.