Author Topic: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's  (Read 21639 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »
"Dave's Not Here" by Cheech and Chong?

;)

ROTFL!! Annalisa should TOTALLY open Monday's show with that bit!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
whoa!  looks like someone used that mysterious "Split Topic" function! 

nice job

Yeah, this morning I realized this is Re: KFOG, but very much about 10@10.

So did you non-regular-KFOG listeners miss Annalisa's appearance prior to today's 10@10 (which I'm now missing thanks to a stupid all-hands meeting at work.  "What?  We're launching a Palm Pre next week?  Oh, yay us.")

She was talking with The Morning Show about the handoff, being excited, etc.  Webster quoted last night's email, and since they had already gotten a bunch of responses they read some of those as well.  They filtered it for mainly positive stuff about Annalisa, praise for Dave (and seeming cluelessness that they were re-runs), and hopefulness about the future.

I can't remember if it was Webster or Peter who asked if she'd play vinyl (sure), Greg asked about "Hits from Hell" (yeah), Disco (heck yeah) and something else, and they gave her the "Ok, she'll play bad music, good."  Then she threw in that one thing she wanted to *add* was guest DJs.  Now the baby was crying as I was changing his diaper, but I believe she was saying that listeners could somehow win a chance to pick songs.  Heard Webster/Renee say, "Wow, that'd be a really cool prize/experience!"  Not sure if it also included a studio visit or airtime like that one couple that won the auction years back, but cool nonetheless.

Webster joked that now she'll lie awake at night worrying about what she'll be playing the next day.  She said that she did have a crisis picking the year of the first show, and that her husband (?) suggested she just pull a quarter out of a jar and use that year.  Luckily it wasn't 2006, nor was it 1945.  Laughter all around, and I think Greg or Peter mentioned a reader e-mail requesting that they play more music from the 50s, ha ha.  She actually said that a 50s set would be cool, or words to that effect.  She said she listened to a lot of the music of her dad and her grandfather, which seemed to indicate some depth of knowledge to me.

Ok, well I'm going to peek at the setlist now.  Is somebody else going to tape the rerun tonight?  Think you could put it up somewhere as an MP3?

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
I guess I'll listen a little bit now to see what she says.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:55:49 AM by Davefish »
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
I guess I'll listen a little big now to see what she says.

They played Dave's 10@10 promo right after the set, which includes mention of the HD Radio 10@10 channel. Wonder if they're going to continue playing his sets with the intro and backsell edited out (gee, that'd be confusing for some listeners--"what's this song with all the moaning and the sex noises?" whenever Jungle Fever appears), or start playing Annalisa's classics? (So on Monday, listeners hear nothing but one set, over and over and over....)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »

They played Dave's 10@10 promo right after the set, which includes mention of the HD Radio 10@10 channel. Wonder if they're going to continue playing his sets with the intro and backsell edited out (gee, that'd be confusing for some listeners--"what's this song with all the moaning and the sex noises?" whenever Jungle Fever appears), or start playing Annalisa's classics? (So on Monday, listeners hear nothing but one set, over and over and over....)

as I indicated earlier, whatever deal KFOG has struck with Dave is confusing to me. The email indicated they'd occasionally play Morey "classics", but either they can use his old shows or they can't, so WTF?  Maybe Dave's allowing them to use X-number of shows per year for a fee, in return for not suing them?  HD radio is dead-in-the-water at this point; it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued the all- 10@10 HD Channel altogether.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »

as I indicated earlier, whatever deal KFOG has struck with Dave is confusing to me. The email indicated they'd occasionally play Morey "classics", but either they can use his old shows or they can't, so WTF?  Maybe Dave's allowing them to use X-number of shows per year in return for not suing them?  HD radio is dead-in-the-water at this point; it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued the all- 10@10 HD Channel altogether.

Not sure how air talent contracts work at all, but I wonder if the contract he had stipulated that they own all the stuff he aired, his 10@10s, his bumpers, everything.  they prob could air his old morning shows if they want to.

~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »

as I indicated earlier, whatever deal KFOG has struck with Dave is confusing to me. The email indicated they'd occasionally play Morey "classics", but either they can use his old shows or they can't, so WTF?  Maybe Dave's allowing them to use X-number of shows per year in return for not suing them?  HD radio is dead-in-the-water at this point; it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued the all- 10@10 HD Channel altogether.

Not sure how air talent contracts work at all, but I wonder if the contract he had stipulated that they own all the stuff he aired, his 10@10s, his bumpers, everything.  they prob could air his old morning shows if they want to.

I wondered about that. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was the way you describe--for most folks, anything you create while on the company's dime belongs to the company. However, it would depend on how his contract was structured. From what Dave said via a message I got a couple weeks ago that echoed Davefish's IM exchange with him, they could play the music and clips of the sets, but not use his voice or image without paying him for it. Which we know they are not willing to do. So I'd think that would have to be edited out somehow. Maybe the KFOG jocks are recording replacement intros and backsells?

Although Mike's right--HD radio is a drug on the market, and if they're looking for a place to cut costs, that might be a good place to start.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
Although Mike's right--HD radio is a drug on the market

I assume you meant "drag on the market". Unless you're the one who's puffin' stuff.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »

I assume you meant "drag on the market". Unless you're the one who's puffin' stuff.
I actually think it is 'drug'
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »

Indeed:
http://www.answers.com/topic/drug-on-the-market
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »

Indeed:
http://www.answers.com/topic/drug-on-the-market

live'n'learn! a new one on me. HD radio is certainly that -- they can't friggin' GIVE those receivers away!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »

;)

That'd be a scream, and would start the show off on a good note.

So I wonder what features of 10@10 as we know it will remain? Sounds as if Don Pardo is leaving along with Dave. Whose voice would you all suggest they get to replace Don's? (I'd love to hear Harry Shearer, but I'd bet that's pricey, and as we know, pricey don't play with Cumulus.) Will The Time Warp still be the theme music? The buzzer? Will she use the same stash of audio clips? Guess we better tune in Monday to find out.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

;)

That'd be a scream, and would start the show off on a good note.

So I wonder what features of 10@10 as we know it will remain? Sounds as if Don Pardo is leaving along with Dave. Whose voice would you all suggest they get to replace Don's? (I'd love to hear Harry Shearer, but I'd bet that's pricey, and as we know, pricey don't play with Cumulus.) Will The Time Warp still be the theme music? The buzzer? Will she use the same stash of audio clips? Guess we better tune in Monday to find out.

My guess is that the cheapies at Cumulus are not gonna get another "name" announcer --they'll use "KFOG Announcer-Voice Guy" that they use on their promos.  (Tho' if they wanna splurge they might grab John O'Hurley while he's in town; remember he was the voice of the late unlamented "95.7 Max".)  They may still have the Monty Hall clips on file from back in the day, but he might be considered too "old-school" for 10@10: The Next Generation.  I hope they continue to use "Time Warp"; I'm sure most of the movie/TV/news clips are in their library ready to be played and replayed. I'd love for them to resurrect "Beulah the Buzzer" from the old Firesign Theater bit, but that's probably too un-PC these days.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
it may be a really futile and stupid gesture, but I vote for bringing back Larry 'Bud' Melman.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
it may be a really futile and stupid gesture...

And you're just the guy to do it!

I'm sure they still have those clips on file too (remember how he replaced the "Big Wheel" with the "Digital Switcher"?) You do know he's dead, right?