Author Topic: 8 Oct 2008: 1992  (Read 11324 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Oct 2008: 1992
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
Speaking of which, the other day I was trying to remember how many guest artists appeared on Beatles songs? B. Preston and Slowhand...anyone else?
I believe that's about it, except for hired session musicians/orchestras like on "A Day In the Life", "All You Need Is Love", "Eleanor Rigby", etc...
I think there might have been some instances on their early records where they used a substitute drummer 'cause Ringo was unavailable for some reason. Not exactly a 'guest artist' but still...
Yes, Andy White was the session musician who drummed on "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You".  He now lives in NJ.  A year or so ago musician friend of mine in NJ sent me a photo of him with Andy White.

which reminds... has anyone heard Pete Best's new CD? he was on Little Steven's show Sun nite, Steven played several tracks from it, it's rather McCartneyesque.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »
10/08/08 – Midweek Wednesday!  Good times in…1992!!!

1.  Gin Blossoms – Mrs. Rita
2.  Elvis Costello (With the Brodsky Quartet) – Jacksons, Monk & Rowe
3.  kd lang – Constant Craving
4.  Sundays – Love
5.  U2 – One
6.  Right Said Fred – I’m Too Sexy (BEST OF SET!!)
7.  Eric Clapton – Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and  Out
8.  Cure – High
9.  Thomas Dolby – I Love You Goodbye
10. Chrissy Hynde & Moodswings – Spiritual High (State of Independence)

BONUS TRACK:   The Wailing Souls – Shark Attack

sorry I didn't stick around for the bonus; KFOG played that one to death in late '92 and I haven't heard it much in the intervening years. You'd think it'd be a fave at Sharks games, but I've never heard them play it!

I'd guess the Costello, Sundays, and Cure tunes were bustouts and Chrissie a rarity, if someone whose version of the shraytabase is working could confirm.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:34:21 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »
WOS RSF. It was cute once, but not any more. Guaranteed it wins BOS from the Fogheads.

It was never cute always irritating.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
BOS5 Chrissie & MoodSwings!!!  Wow, I'm much impressed today, and I don't often say that about '90s sets.
woulda definitely been my BOS!

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
(1) I like Eleanor Rigby a lot.  I don't like "most" classical.

(2) George Martin played the piano on "In My Life" that was sped up to sound like a harpsichord.

(3) This ends Thomas Dolby's perfect run of BOSes for "I Love You Goodbye."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
10/08/08 – Midweek Wednesday!  Good times in…1992!!!

1.  Gin Blossoms – Mrs. Rita
2.  Elvis Costello (With the Brodsky Quartet) – Jacksons, Monk & Rowe
3.  kd lang – Constant Craving
4.  Sundays – Love
5.  U2 – One
6.  Right Said Fred – I’m Too Sexy (BEST OF SET!!)
7.  Eric Clapton – Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and  Out
8.  Cure – High
9.  Thomas Dolby – I Love You Goodbye
10. Chrissy Hynde & Moodswings – Spiritual High (State of Independence)

BONUS TRACK:   The Wailing Souls – Shark Attack

sorry I didn't stick around for the bonus; KFOG played that one to death in late '92 and I haven't heard it much in the intervening years. You'd think it'd be a fave at Sharks games, but I've never heard them play it!

I'd guess the Costello, Sundays, and Cure tunes were bustouts and Chrissie a rarity, if someone whose version of the shraytabase is working could confirm.

You're mostly right--just in the wrong categories. The Costello and Sundays are indeed DB bustouts, and so is the Chrissie tune (surprise to me--I'd have sworn we'd heard it before). However, the Cure song is the rarity--it's been played twice before, both times in '05 and the last time was three years ago almost to the day (Oct 4).
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »

You're mostly right--just in the wrong categories. The Costello and Sundays are indeed DB bustouts, and so is the Chrissie tune (surprise to me--I'd have sworn we'd heard it before). However, the Cure song is the rarity--it's been played twice before, both times in '05 and the last time was three years ago almost to the day (Oct 4).

Thanks, urth!  I suspect either Ginger or Rob has played the Chrissie at one time or another. Still, 3 bustouts (and good ones) in a '92 set is quite a coup. Maybe Dave's waking up to the fact that, if he's gotta play '90s more often, he'd better make it interesting (if just for himself).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
Thanks, urth!  I suspect either Ginger or Rob has played the Chrissie at one time or another. Still, 3 bustouts (and good ones) in a '92 set is quite a coup. Maybe Dave's waking up to the fact that, if he's gotta play '90s more often, he'd better make it interesting (if just for himself).
I just can't believe State of Independence is a bustout, but then again, I don't keep track!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »

It occurred to me listening to the replay that KFOG played the HELL out of the Costello back in the day (as did Live 105). When Dave began doing '92 sets, I'd've bet money that "Jacksons Monk etc" was the odds-on fave to become the first major '92 Katrina (even more so than the Dolby). Yet it took Dave 6+ years to finally make it a bustout.