Author Topic: 23 Dec 2010: it's the Annual 10@10 Foghead Xmas Card  (Read 13219 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 23 Dec 2010: it's the Annual 10@10 Foghead Xmas Card
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »

The David Bowie/Bing Crosby thing is always welcome, but I would have liked that setup intro dialog they do, too.

in that case you really got to check out the YouTube link I just posted.  John C. Reilly is Bing & Will Ferrell is Bowie, and they totally nail it...and you gotta stay with it to the very end.

hilarious!  thanks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiOwX5G7OpY
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »
And I must say this is my first Xmas in a number of years without KPIG, which is usually a lot of fun at the holidays -- they are missed.
I'm with you on the PIG-lessness of it all.  It was nice to luxuriate in the PIG on our annual trip to Pacific Grove earlier this month, but kind of sad knowing I'd have to leave, and I use to be able to listen all the time!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Happy holidays to all of you. You mean a lot to me! I listened to the set but just got to the computer. I hope we have the chance to get together next week. Maybe SF on Thursday?

I am jetting up to SF momentarily. Hopefully lunch at Public House and shopping at Dugout store.  :D
My daughter has heavily hinted I should go to the dugout store and get some bobbleheads.  Supposedly Wilson, Posey, and Timmy holding the trophy

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
 12/23/10- Thursday! The Annual Tradition: KFOG's Season's Greetings Radio Card !
    Starring Phenomenal Fogheads from near and far!
 1.  Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
 2.  Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas
 3.  Aimee Mann - I'll Be Home For Christmas
 4.  Tim Hockenberry - Christmas By The Bay
 5.  Chrissie Hynde - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
 6.  Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby
 7.  Burl Ives - Holly Jolly Christmas
 8.  David Bowie & Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy
 9.  Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas
10. John Lennon Yoko Ono - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Here's Tim Hockenberry's "Christmas By The Bay"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AD_WkwCAHs
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:30:46 PM by Wayback »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
was driving around doing some shopping this afternoon, listening to Karel on Green960 (sometimes I can't take too much of him) and he was going off on the history of many Christmas carols.  I had remarked earlier here about the melancholy of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" but didn't reallly know the history of the song.  Turns out, the song is deeply steeped in hard times, and looked up the history of the song when I got home.
Quote from: Wikipedia
The song was written while Martin was vacationing in a house in Birmingham, Alabama, that his father Hugh Martin[3] designed for his mother as a honeymoon cottage. The house was located in the Southside section of the city, across the street from Hugh's mother and right beside her aunt. The song first appeared in a scene in Meet Me in St. Louis, in which a family is distraught by the father's plans to move to New York City for a job promotion, leaving behind their beloved home in St. Louis, Missouri just before the long-anticipated Louisiana Purchase Exposition begins. In a scene set on Christmas Eve, Judy Garland's character, Esther, sings the song to cheer up her despondent five-year-old sister, Tootie, played by Margaret O'Brien.

The sentimental setting of the tune in the finished scene owes much to the understated orchestration by Conrad Salinger and musical direction of Georgie Stoll.
However, when presented with the original draft, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, it may be your last,
Next year we may all be living in the past
Have yourself a merry little Christmas, pop that champagne cork,
Next year we will all be living in New York.
No good times like the olden days, happy golden days of yore,
Faithful friends who were dear to us, will be near to us no more.
But at least we all will be together, if the Fates allow,
From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

Though he initially resisted, songwriter Hugh Martin made several changes to make the song more upbeat. For example, the lines "It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became "Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight".[5] Garland's version of the song, which was also released as a single by Decca Records, became popular among United States troops serving in World War II; her performance at the Hollywood Canteen brought many soldiers to tears.

In 1957, Frank Sinatra asked Martin to revise the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow". He told Martin, "The name of my album is A Jolly Christmas. Do you think you could jolly up that line for me?"  Martin's new line, "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough," has since become more widely recognized and sung than the original phrase. Martin made several other alterations, changing the song's focus to a celebration of present happiness, rather than anticipation of a better future.

Although the 1957 rewrite is the most familiar to listeners today, the Judy Garland lyrics have been recorded by a number of artists, for example Ella Fitzgerald (in Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas), and James Taylor.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:37:40 PM by ggould »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »
Here's Tim Hockenberry's "Christmas By The Bay"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AD_WkwCAHs

Hearing it again last nite I've decided it's quite a lovely song.  There's also a song called "Christmas in San Francisco" by Barry DeVorzon (yes, the guy who did "Nadia's Theme") that KFRC used to play but I've never been able to find it anywhere.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
BTW, any reason why this thread has been "stickied" to stay at the top?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
I didn't do it, at least not on purpose!  I'll poke around.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
I didn't do it, at least not on purpose!  I'll poke around.
I may have accidentally made this topic sticky.  For the moment, the only fix I could find is to remove all sticky settings.  When I tried to go back and re-invoke stickiness, the old topics returned to their sticky state.  I can't yet figure out how to turn just one off!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
Happy holidays to all of you. You mean a lot to me! I listened to the set but just got to the computer. I hope we have the chance to get together next week. Maybe SF on Thursday?

I am jetting up to SF momentarily. Hopefully lunch at Public House and shopping at Dugout store.  :D
My daughter has heavily hinted I should go to the dugout store and get some bobbleheads.  Supposedly Wilson, Posey, and Timmy holding the trophy
The bobbles abound and are quite nice. Beautiful orange and gold bows on huge tree at front of store. To my dismay, the Public House is no more. Turned into Mijita mexican which just wasn't right for yesterday. Momos was not open so I ended up at Paragon. OK, not what I hoped for.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
There's also a song called "Christmas in San Francisco" by Barry DeVorzon (yes, the guy who did "Nadia's Theme") that KFRC used to play but I've never been able to find it anywhere.

OMFG -- while looking for something else, I stumbled across it! It's quite sweet:

http://www.mp3-codes.com/play/1176035/It's_Christmas_Once_Again_In_San_Francisco_-_Barry_Devorzon