Author Topic: 29 January 2009--it's 1972!!!  (Read 15654 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 29 January 2009--it's 1972!!!
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Ha!  TANSTAAFL!  I love it!  (though I doubt anyone else besides maybe Rod knows enough Sci Fi to get the reference)

I had to look it up. I need to read more Heinlein; Stranger in a Strange Land and I Will Fear No Evil were faves of mine back in the day and both would make great movies.
I had no idea it was used in Heinlein.  It's the core teaching for me in science.  The wiki explanation was pretty interesting.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:13 PM »
Ha!  TANSTAAFL!  I love it!  (though I doubt anyone else besides maybe Rod knows enough Sci Fi to get the reference)

Don't be so sure about that.

Oh, and besides the two that Mike recommended, I'd suggest The Moon is A Harsh Mistress and Time Enough For Love to anyone looking for a good Heinlein read.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:46:53 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »

Oh, and besides the two that Mike recommended, I'd suggest The Moon is A Harsh Mistress and Time Enough For Love to anyone looking for a good Heinlein read.
I don't think I've ever read any Heinlein.  Maybe I've seen movies or TV shows based on his writing?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »

I don't think I've ever read any Heinlein.  Maybe I've seen movies or TV shows based on his writing?

There haven't been very many:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0374423/

And none of his bigger titles (i.e. most of the ones we've mentioned) have been produced. Starship Troopers is about the only one I recognized there. Don't know The Puppet Masters.

It's odd that there haven't been more movie adaptations of his work--maybe his estate isn't interested in selling the rights?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
So did you notice that the stream quality has gone downhill, from 66kHz to 49kHz?  It sounds noticeably worse.  Or is it just me?

The difference is noticeable even on my cheap speakers (the ones that came with my old computer in 1999).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »

And none of his bigger titles (i.e. most of the ones we've mentioned) have been produced. Starship Troopers is about the only one I recognized there. Don't know The Puppet Masters.

It's odd that there haven't been more movie adaptations of his work--maybe his estate isn't interested in selling the rights?
The Puppet Masters.

Metallica, Master of Puppets
one of their early albums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sXk5tHbqA
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:09:26 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »

Puppet Masters was done in the early '90s with Donald Sutherland, iirc.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: the stream
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »
There's a site that will do it for you:
http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/

sadly, you have to have Flash Player 10 to do anything there -- I don't even have that at work,and we're pretty up-to-date here.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

Add Glory Road to that list, a personal fave (Hienlen, extra pulp variety).

And I'll re-recommend Stranger...  If you only read one, this is it.  Warning:  I reread it a couple years ago, and Heinlen's 50's sensiblility and the chauvanism that was the norm is somewhat off-putting.  Also, it's not as mind-blowing at nearly 50 as it was when I was 17 -- go figure.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 09:17:19 AM »

And I'll re-recommend Stranger...  If you only read one, this is it.  Warning:  I reread it a couple years ago, and Heinlen's 50's sensiblility and the chauvanism that was the norm is somewhat off-putting.  Also, it's not as mind-blowing at nearly 50 as it was when I was 17 -- go figure.

Tom Hanks was attached to a film version some years back; I think that fell by the wayside.

But I think I Will Fear No Evil would be great -- I suggest Clint Eastwood as the aging millionaire and Scarlet Jo as the hot babe he transplants his brain into.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »

Tom Hanks was attached to a film version some years back; I think that fell by the wayside.

But I think I Will Fear No Evil would be great -- I suggest Clint Eastwood as the aging millionaire and Scarlet Jo as the hot babe he transplants his brain into.

I was thinking Scarlet Jo for the hot babe in Glory Road.  ;D

There's no shortage of hot babe roles if you're adapting Heinlen for the screen.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »
the Saturday Marathon is going in M-F order this morning, so this great 1972 set is starting right now.  Looking forward to hearing it without the distractions of work.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010