Author Topic: 1978 on Fri 8/19/05  (Read 5825 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Cars
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 09:41:55 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
"In music the cars got lumped into that New Wave category, but their music was really a commercialized rip-off of Talking Heads."
I can't agree at all.  I think the Cars are totally different than Talking Heads.  Their sound is more of a techno/post-modern/guitar&synth/jaded outlook sort of thing.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the list
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »
TEN @ 10 LOG FOR 08.19.05

Tom Petty  -  Listen to Her Heart
Jefferson Starhip  -  Count on Me
Bob Seger  -  Hollywood Nights
Warren Zevon  -  Excitable Boy
The Cars  -  Best Friend's Girl
Billy Joel  -  Stiletto
Rolling Stones  -  Miss You
Heart  -  Straight On
The Who  -  New Song
Bruce Springsteen  -  Darkness on the Edge of Town

Monday on 97.1 FM The Drive, Ten @ 10 rolls ahead a decade to 1980.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Cars
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 09:54:28 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
"In music the cars got lumped into that New Wave category, but their music was really a commercialized rip-off of Talking Heads."
I can't agree at all.  I think the Cars are totally different than Talking Heads.  Their sound is more of a techno/post-modern/guitar&synth/jaded outlook sort of thing.

I won't disagree, but when the first album came on the radio in 1978, the superficial similarities (especially Ocasek's vocal delivery) made THeads the immediate reference point. My statement (in quotes) was parodying something the 10@10 guy said about the Cars not being New Wave so much as being "timeless rock."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »

I won't disagree, but when the first album came on the radio in 1978, the superficial similarities (especially Ocasek's vocal delivery) made THeads the immediate reference point. My statement (in quotes) was parodying something the 10@10 guy said about the Cars not being New Wave so much as being "timeless rock."

I got the reference Mike!  The guy standing in for Bob is a bit uneven ain't he?  A little too snarky sometimes & a little too gushing at others.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 11:02:01 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I got the reference Mike!  The guy standing in for Bob is a bit uneven ain't he?  A little too snarky sometimes & a little too gushing at others.

Was that the same guy who was super-snarky last week?  I couldn't tell if it was a different dude.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round