Author Topic: Happy SuperBowl Weekend!  (Read 3676 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Happy SuperBowl Weekend!
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
In honor of the Big Game , this classic clip -- Joe Namath meets Geraldine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-355kMZxUN4&feature=PlayList&p=7347F9E8F09BA94E&playnext=1&index=18
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Happy SuperBowl Weekend!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
Love your shot of Big Ben, btw.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:07 AM »
Love your shot of Big Ben, btw.

I figure there's hope for a guy who's dated a woman golfer *and* a woman basketball player.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:04:40 AM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
Springsteen gets points for not mincing words:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/30/SPRT15JQG5.DTL

Well, I suppose, but something's happened to him that's bothering me. The Wal-Mart thing obviously pisses me off (and the fact that the mainstream press has totally given him a pass about it angers me more  -- where are Olbermann and Maddow on that? If it were Toby Keith they'd tear him a new one). Doing the SB halftime show isn't a bad thing by itself; he could, say, donate his performance fee to a food bank and still make money hawking his 2 new CDs. But that press conference -- are we supposed to see those comments as "meta" or something?  Sorry, I expect better.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
BTW, the pre-game entertainment includes John Legend (good) and Journey (less than good). Faith Hill will sing "America the Beautiful" (presumably because of her NBC connection) and Jennifer Hudson will do the Anthem.  Someone at Outsports quipped that with Bruce at halftime, there'll be no nipples this year, but I say if Clarence takes his shirt off it'll make Janet's boobs look tiny in comparison.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:55:20 AM »
Springsteen gets points for not mincing words:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/30/SPRT15JQG5.DTL

These are the moments where I would give damn nigh anything to register on his radar.  Just sayin'.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »

Well, I suppose, but something's happened to him that's bothering me. The Wal-Mart thing obviously pisses me off (and the fact that the mainstream press has totally given him a pass about it angers me more  -- where are Olbermann and Maddow on that? If it were Toby Keith they'd tear him a new one)....Sorry, I expect better.

I guess Bruce was lurking.  He now says he regrets the whole Wal-Mart deal.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »

Well, I suppose, but something's happened to him that's bothering me. The Wal-Mart thing obviously pisses me off (and the fact that the mainstream press has totally given him a pass about it angers me more  -- where are Olbermann and Maddow on that? If it were Toby Keith they'd tear him a new one)....Sorry, I expect better.

I guess Bruce was lurking.  He now says he regrets the whole Wal-Mart deal.

Well, it's about time. I think the "we didn't vet this as well as we should have" excuse is rather lame, given his closeness to folks like (yes) Marsh and Ballinger, who've made a cottage industry of exposing WalMart's shortcomings in regard to musicians and their CDs. M & B hang out backstage with the band on tour; it's hard to believe the issue never came up prior to the deal.  But at least the NYT comments made WalMart squirm to the point where they had to issue a statement.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
So what did we think?  Here's the Broooce setlist:

10th Ave FreezeOut
Born to Run
Workin' on a Dream
Glory Days

Considering it had to be packaged for mass consumption, not bad. (Not-so-)Little Steven needs to lay off the cannoli, tho'.

ETA: Oh, and the game's pretty exciting too -- quite a first-half finish!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:29:26 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
Several people texted me to say they thought Broooce gave the best HT perf ever.  "10th Ave" and "Glory Days" were inspired choices.  But it was glaringly obvious how inferior "Working on a Dream" is to the rest of his catalogue.

And FUCK did he look good.  Especially when he slid right into a camera, 3-D styley.  He could say jump and I'd say how high any day.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
Several people texted me to say they thought Broooce gave the best HT perf ever.  "10th Ave" and "Glory Days" were inspired choices.  But it was glaringly obvious how inferior "Working on a Dream" is to the rest of his catalogue.

And FUCK did he look good.  Especially when he slid right into a camera, 3-D styley.  He could say jump and I'd say how high any day.

uh... you're scaring me. He's nearly 60 -- even I wouldn't do him. But I thought it was good for what it was: E-Streetiness condensed into 12 minutes. "WOAD" may not be in the same league as the others, but the gospel chorus helped. As to "best HT evah" -- Prince is still in contention.

So... who's next? Bruce was asked and he suggested Coldplay, which wouldn't surprise me.  They're The Biggest Band In the WorldTM and U2's already done it. The NFL is running out of mega-dinosaur Classic Rockers; who else is in that category? Eagles? Genesis? Van Halen?