Author Topic: RIP Clarice Ripperton (Minnie's sister)  (Read 7115 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Clarice Ripperton (Minnie's sister)
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:33:08 AM »
On Friday we heard Minnie Ripperton's big hit.  I rec'd an email today from a former co-worker who's 15 years older than me. He retired a few years ago and moved back to his hometown of Chicago.  Apparently he dated one of Minnie Ripperton's older sisters when in high school circa 1960; took her to the prom.  Sadly, Clarice died June 10, breast cancer. Her viewing is today, funeral tomorrow. Here's his email:
----- Original Message ----- 
Please indulge me as I pay tribute to the relationship I had with a very special lady. One day a long time ago, I went to the second floor of Phillips High for track practice.  I saw two girls standing at a locker.  The taller of the two wore a black skirt and green blouse, had coal-black hair and skin that was golden brown.  In other words, she was beautiful.  Speaking to her was out of character for me, but I felt compelled to, and I was thrilled when Clarice Ripperton agreed to let me see her again. Our first date was to a movie ("Six Bridges to Cross"), and there were many more after that.  I became acquainted with the Ripperton family and learned how much musical talent was in it.  Clarice had a lovely voice, her oldest brother played piano for a jazz group, and her youngest sister -- who spied on us when we kissed goodnight in the apartment building lobby -- grew up to become a world-renowned vocalist.  Unfortunately, Minnie Ripperton died of breast cancer at an early age in 1979. Minnie often referred to Clarice as her inspiration for wanting to become a singer. Clarice had an extraordinary singing voice and an equally beautiful personality as well.  Back to my story, I became a senior a year after I met Clarice, and she was my prom date.  The prom was in the evening of the day the city track championship meet was being held, so I took my rented tux to the stadium.  I dressed in the locker room after the meet (Phillips triumphed again, of course); and since it was my first time wearing a tux, a medical student named Walter Dieke had to show me what buttons went where (Walt drowned in Southern California some years later; he was a kind man, a gentleman, and an enthusiastic distance runner).  I panicked when the ride that was supposed to take me to pick up Clarice hadn't arrived.  To make matters worse, it began to rain.  Finally, Barry Chapman and his prom date Elaine Ripperton (Clarice's older sister) drove up, and I dashed to the car to keep my sparkling white tux jacket from getting soaked. After picking up Clarice, we drove to the Morrison Hotel in the Loop.  Between dances (the "bunny-hop" was the crowd favorite), each couple had its picture taken.  Clarice and I had a slight problem because she towered over me in heels.  The problem was solved by having her stand slightly behind me as we held hands. After the prom, our party drove to the Chez Paree, which was Chicago's most popular nightclub, and a special section was set aside for teens.  The featured performer that night was none other than Nat King Cole (a former Phillipsite, naturally), and he sang nearly all his love ballads and we were sure that he was singing them just for us.  Ah, what a night that was! Years passed, and so did romantic feelings.  Clarice and I lost touch completely after I moved from Chicago. When I returned to Chicago in 2004, Clarice and I had lunch together.  That was when I learned that she had been battling breast cancer.  My heart broke when I learned that she passed away last Tuesday, because she remained special to me long after we parted.
Remembering Mrs. Mary Clarice Riperton-Jackson Viewal - Monday, June 16, 2008 4:00 p.m. A.A. Rayner and Sons Funeral Home 318 E. 71st St. Chicago IL.   Services Tuesday, June 17, 2008 Visitation- 11:00 a.m. Funeral  -  12:00 p.m. Sixth Grace Presbyterian Church 600 E. 35th St. Chicago IL.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:57:46 AM by Wayback »