Author Topic: Son of We're All Going to Rock to the Rules That I Make: Campaign 2010  (Read 11213 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
And so it begins. The following are both real campaign ads. The first is for the office of coroner in Orleans parish, Louisiana, and just has me shaking my head in disbelief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgCOXaiDjQ&feature=player_embedded

The second is a slam on repugnican gubernatorial candidate Tom Campbell from none other than fellow repugnican Carly Fiorina, but it appears to have been directed by Terry Gilliam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/03/carly-fiorina-campaign-at_n_448408.html
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Son of We're All Going to Rock to the Rules That I Make: Campaign 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »
That didn't take very long. Someone's done a mashup of the Fiorina ad with Pink Floyd's "Sheep."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2wgHwYC-ZE&feature=player_embedded
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Well, it could be a campaign issue: Stevens announces he's retiring; Obama gets to appoint another SC Justice.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36317045/ns/politics/

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Well, it could be a campaign issue: Stevens announces he's retiring; Obama gets to appoint another SC Justice.

Let the lies and smears begin!  When is one of the right-wing justices going to retire or die?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile

Let the lies and smears begin!  When is one of the right-wing justices going to retire or die?

Better hope for the latter; I doubt any of the conservative bloc of justices is going to resign any time soon. Kennedy and Scalia are about the same age (both born in '36) but I suspect they'll hang on for the same reason Stevens did for the last 8 years--the man who will appoint their replacement is of an opposing viewpoint. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Ruth Bader Ginsburg signed off soon, as well.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
This somehow escaped my notice until this week: WWE honcho Vince McMahon's wife Linda is running for US Senate in CT as a Repug. Guess she won't be going back into that coma for a while.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/government/x1173970496/McMahon-stumps-for-Senate-in-Republican-rivals-backyard

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Election 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Hope there isn't already something posted about this. What's a little politics between amigos? I am already tired of the BS being strewn about the TV and radio airwaves. I am also CONFUSED and want input from you intelligent people. The Brown v Whitman and Whitman v Brown race is all muddled in my mind. I was anti-Whitman but I do like some of her rhetoric. Have the unions bought Brown? Please share some of your thoughts on this race.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Son of We're All Going to Rock to the Rules That I Make: Campaign 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Alicat, I took the liberty of merging your topic with one that was begun earlier this year. Hope you're cool w/ that. 

I'm following the CA gubernatorial election almost as closely as the one we've got up here. (I'm in Oregon, if you were wondering.) Former Gov. John Kitzhaber (Dem) is trying to retake his old office (he preceded the current governor, Ted Kulongoski), and is up against Chris Dudley (Repug), whose only claim to fame is as an ex-Portland Trailblazer, which seems to carry a lot more weight hereabouts than you'd think it deserves. Well, if California can elect bad actors to the statehouse, why not a former basketballer? (Don't get me started.)

That and we have a couple of seats in the House of Reps that may be switching parties, from blue to red, if the polls are to be believed. Dislike.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Election 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
Hope there isn't already something posted about this. What's a little politics between amigos? I am already tired of the BS being strewn about the TV and radio airwaves. I am also CONFUSED and want input from you intelligent people. The Brown v Whitman and Whitman v Brown race is all muddled in my mind. I was anti-Whitman but I do like some of her rhetoric. Have the unions bought Brown? Please share some of your thoughts on this race.

Well, unions support Democrats 99% of the time, so I don't think Jerry is any more or less "bought" than any other Dem candidate. Meg has spent 119 MILLION of her own bucks trying to get elected. Doesn't seem like she's doing it because she wants to help the poor.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »

Well, unions support Democrats 99% of the time, so I don't think Jerry is any more or less "bought" than any other Dem candidate. Meg has spent 119 MILLION of her own bucks trying to get elected. Doesn't seem like she's doing it because she wants to help the poor.
What's her motivation? I'm just not getting it. Does Jerry have support to make California work better? Where can I look to get better informed? I don't want to sit this dance out.
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »

What's her motivation? 
Rich corporate elitist helping out rich corporate elitists is my guess.  I'm sure if she wins -which doesn't seem likely - she'd recoup all that election money and then some.  Besides which, (according to her FB page) she listens to Celine Dion and Toby Keith.  Now, Jerry Brown didn't post what kind of music he listens to, but I'm guessing he has some Linda Ronstadt in his record collection... ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:17 AM »

What's her motivation? 
Rich corporate elitist helping out rich corporate elitists is my guess.  I'm sure if she wins -which doesn't seem likely - she'd recoup all that election money and then some.  Besides which, (according to her FB page) she listens to Celine Dion and Toby Keith.  Now, Jerry Brown didn't post what kind of music he listens to, but I'm guessing he has some Linda Ronstadt in his record collection... ;)

http://www.facebook.com/QueenMeg2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »
Rich corporate elitist helping out rich corporate elitists is my guess.

That's a likely scenario, but when I am willing to give old Meg the benifit of the doubt, I go with ego, pure and simple.  That and a belief in conservative fiscal ideology. 

She thinks California is broken and she can fix it.  As CEO she grew a small company into a very big one, and she believes that she can transfer that experience in leadership to lead the state into recovery.  She believes her own hype.  She believes in trickle down, she believes that letting the rich keep their money is good for the not-so-rich, that it creates jobs and growth in the economy (which is what really creates jobs).  She believes she is the answer.

I believe she is mistaken.  I am sure she did a fine job with EBay, but it's not like she took, say, the SF Chronicle and turned it into a growing enterprise.  Her problems at EBay were to manage the growth of a company that had nothing but growth potential.  Califorinias problems are complex, and it isn't going to be so simple to find a way to grow the economy.  Basically, I believe she will be in over her head, and her ego will keep her from seeking help.

Not that Jerry is going to fix the economy, either...

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
Rich corporate elitist helping out rich corporate elitists is my guess.

That's a likely scenario, but when I am willing to give old Meg the benifit of the doubt, I go with ego, pure and simple.  That and a belief in conservative fiscal ideology. 

She thinks California is broken and she can fix it.  As CEO she grew a small company into a very big one, and she believes that she can transfer that experience in leadership to lead the state into recovery.  She believes her own hype.  She believes in trickle down, she believes that letting the rich keep their money is good for the not-so-rich, that it creates jobs and growth in the economy (which is what really creates jobs).  She believes she is the answer.

I believe she is mistaken.  I am sure she did a fine job with EBay, but it's not like she took, say, the SF Chronicle and turned it into a growing enterprise.  Her problems at EBay were to manage the growth of a company that had nothing but growth potential.  Califorinias problems are complex, and it isn't going to be so simple to find a way to grow the economy.  Basically, I believe she will be in over her head, and her ego will keep her from seeking help.

Not that Jerry is going to fix the economy, either...

I like that reasoning.  Ebay was such an amazing idea back in the early days of internetting -- it wasn't her idea, per se, but she did well not to blow it, growing it.  Still, she spoke in too many talking points in the debate I heard (before the housekeeper news broke).  Jerry at least knows how to smooth out his style so his talking points sound a little more sincere.

About public employee unions, Meg will certainly play tough and say "no" to them more than Brown would, and that seems like a good stance to have, but I'm not sure she can just waltz in and solve it all by herself.  the legislature would have to buy-in from what I understand.

(Did you know that in SF until recently, you needed only 5 years of service before you were vested for life in their city employee health care plan?  that has been changed, but holy jeez, that's a little much.. unless of course you are covered by it...  yes, I know that's a SF thing, not California, but state unions need some reigning in, too.)

despite her tough gal posturing on unions, I won't be voting for her.  She's smug and out of touch.
~CPL593H~