Author Topic: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's  (Read 21599 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to Dave's era of 10@10's
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »
My guess is that the cheapies at Cumulus are not gonna get another "name" announcer --they'll use "KFOG Announcer-Voice Guy" that they use on their promos.  (Tho' if they wanna splurge they might grab John O'Hurley while he's in town; remember he was the voice of the late unlamented "95.7 Max".)  They may still have the Monty Hall clips on file from back in the day, but he might be considered too "old-school" for 10@10: The Next Generation.  I hope they continue to use "Time Warp"; I'm sure most of the movie/TV/news clips are in their library ready to be played and replayed. I'd love for them to resurrect "Beulah the Buzzer" from the old Firesign Theater bit, but that's probably too un-PC these days.

We caught the Saturday matinee of Spamalot last weekend.  Fun show.  Hung out at the stage door and got our commemorative can of Spam (from the original Broadway run -- a friend in NYC picked it up for us) signed by O'Hurley and the kid who played Lancelot.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
My guess is that the cheapies at Cumulus are not gonna get another "name" announcer --they'll use "KFOG Announcer-Voice Guy" that they use on their promos.  (Tho' if they wanna splurge they might grab John O'Hurley while he's in town; remember he was the voice of the late unlamented "95.7 Max".)  They may still have the Monty Hall clips on file from back in the day, but he might be considered too "old-school" for 10@10: The Next Generation.  I hope they continue to use "Time Warp"; I'm sure most of the movie/TV/news clips are in their library ready to be played and replayed. I'd love for them to resurrect "Beulah the Buzzer" from the old Firesign Theater bit, but that's probably too un-PC these days.

Even cheaper than KFOG Announcer-Voice Guy: get a listener to do it for free!

posted today on http://www.kfog.com/PROGRAMMING/1010.aspx

Well, phenomenal Fogheads, it's time for...........
10 @ 10: The Next generation. (as Webster so aptly put it)
I am so excited to get in and play radio on this and I love your
responses and great suggestions, too! Thank you so much.

Expect all the usual fun of unfolding classic eras on 10 @ 10 and some new unusual twists as we "grow as we go" on the new 10 @ 10.
As our beloved Dave Morey and Don Pardo have BOTH retired, we'll need a new Don now. Here's where you come in. Announcing the open casting call for Don's spot. Send us your stuff...show us what you got...all for the glory of being on the radio daily at everybody's favorite hometown San Francisco & San Jose radio station, KFOG!
MP3's welcome fogheadvoices@kfog.com

We can't wait to hear from you! Thanks for listening- I'll be talking to you on KFOG Middays starting with 10 @ 10!

Enjoy and Be Well,

Annalisa

note her phrase:  "I am so excited to get in and play radio on this"  -- that's either very creative writing or just kinda bad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:20:47 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
That's awesome Geoff -- kudos. My heart's at half-mast too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:10:25 PM by ggould »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 12:38:39 AM »
That's awesome Geoff -- kudos. My heart's at half-mast too.

Very nice indeed. (applause)

Just checked. Dave's pics, blog, and the streaming files of his last Morning Show are still up on the KFOG site, but I'd assume they'll be gone by Monday morning. If anyone wants to save any of them just for old time's sake, do it now.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
I wonder if Dave should/could have trademarked "10@10" ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
I wonder if Dave should/could have trademarked "10@10" ...

Could've and should've.  He'd own the lake *and* the house.  He had offers to syndicate it back in the day, but didn't want the extra work (or having to deal with more, less-friendly "suits").

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
Ben Fong-Torres mentions the finality of it all in a Radio Waves item from today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/31/PKHT17NGAE.DTL
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
OH OH OH... more listener mail this morning re: the end of the Dave Morey era of 10@10s.  They read a listener mail saying that they thought Dave was in reruns and didn't realize he was back to doing the shows again, best wishes on a real retirement, etc.

I COULD NOT BELIEVE that nobody deigned to correct that error.

WORSE STILL, Peter Finch sighed and said, yes, if only we could come up with a ton of money to pay Dave, maybe he could still do 10@10, but as the email to Fogheads said, in these difficult economic times.

MAKING IT SOUND like it was Dave that was making a money play.  I never got that sense, and as previously posted in these parts, I bet Dave made KFOG a very reasonable offer and they just dismissed him without even giving it a second thought.  10@10 always seemed as much a labor of love for Dave as it was a job, and I can't believe that he'd be trying to squeeze them, especially in "these difficult economic times".  God damn I call bullshit.  I'm going to mail them right now, in fact.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »
WORSE STILL, Peter Finch sighed and said, yes, if only we could come up with a ton of money to pay Dave, maybe he could still do 10@10, but as the email to Fogheads said, in these difficult economic times.

MAKING IT SOUND like it was Dave that was making a money play.  I never got that sense, and as previously posted in these parts, I bet Dave made KFOG a very reasonable offer and they just dismissed him without even giving it a second thought.  10@10 always seemed as much a labor of love for Dave as it was a job, and I can't believe that he'd be trying to squeeze them, especially in "these difficult economic times".  God damn I call bullshit.  I'm going to mail them right now, in fact.

oy!  I bet Dave walked away from a nice paycheck when he retired, but that was a poor spin of the issue by Peter.  You can't trust the media, I tell ya.
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
To: mornings@kfog.com
Cc: Rosalie (because I think she'd care)
Subject: 10@10 bits and pieces

Thing First:  You read an e-mail from a listener who said she hadn't realized 10@10 was out of reruns and that Dave was doing the show live again.

I can't believe you guys didn't feel like you needed to correct her. All of the real fans know we've been listening to reruns, and it's incredibly disingenuous to not admit it now that you're "letting Dave retire, again".

Thing Second:  Peter made an off-hand comment along the lines of: "...if KFOG had a ton of money we could pay Dave to keep doing 10@10, but like the e-mail said, 'in these difficult economic times...'"

This is horrible.  You're making it sound like Dave was squeezing the station for some exorbitant amount of money which doesn't sound like the Dave we know and love.  For whom 10@10 seemed more a labor of love than of a paycheck (and was attested to by many an article and interview that detailed the excessive extracurricular hours that went into every show.)

Further, you're making Annalisa sound like a scab who'll work for cheap.

I know it was an off-hand comment, Peter, but for those of us who love Dave, and miss him, it's not right for you to be so careless with your words.

And you guys should really not try to cover-up that the show was in reruns.  And I'm sorry if management was in the room holding a shotgun at your heads when that e-mail was read, but still.

--Darryl

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
I'm not holding my breath for them to read that one on-air.  :-}

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »

LOL! It's a terrific email, Darryl. Right on!  Cumulus truly sucks.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »

LOL! It's a terrific email, Darryl. Right on!  Cumulus truly sucks.

yeah, it's great.  I will give them major props if they read any of it. 

But they won't, b/c everything you mention points to the morning show crew spewing the corporate spin over the truth.    Either that or Peter is just dumb and didn't realize what he was reading.  Either case is bad.

Yes, prime radio jobs are hard to get and keep, but isn't Peter supposed to be the news guy?   news on KFOG is pretty light.  I get the same depth of detail and nuance if I call into the kitchen and ask the SO to read the headlines and first few words from the Chron front page.  (His Fog Files can be interesting, though..  "I'm Peter Finch with another edition of .. (pause).. The Fog Files.") 

Funny, Del Vigil, reporter at the Chron, was very outspoken about the recent downsizing at the paper.  He took out an huge ad (PDF) in the Examiner lambasting Hearst's dealings in this whole thing as layoffs, buyouts and union restructuring were going on.  Del was then laid off himself.

Del wrote on the Newspaper Guild site an article which asked, in essence, "Why is it that journalists are allowed (and even encouraged) to publicly challenge, question and criticize everyone else’s boss -- except for their own?"  (http://www.mediaworkers.org/index.php?ID=6503)

Sometimes digging up and airing the truth could get you fired.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:17:58 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
Let us know if you receive a reply!
Sharks bleed teal.