Author Topic: The Prop 8 thread  (Read 54796 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Prop 8 thread
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
Jerry Brown reverses himself, asks CA Supreme Court to invalidate Prop 8
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
This is going on right now today, for those of you in SF who feel urged to action on the same-gender-marriage movement.

http://equalitycamp.com/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »
For anyone interested in Kenneth Starr's defense of Prop 8, a little background.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »
...Yet, on December 19, 2008, Ken Starr and the Prop 8 Legal Defense Fund filed legal briefs defending the constitutionality of Prop 8 and seeking to nullify the 18,000 same-sex marriages conducted between May and November of 2008.

The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in this case on March 5, 2009, with a decision expected within the next 90 days. We, the undersigned, ask that the Court invalidate Prop 8 and recognize the marriage rights of these 18,000 couples -- and all loving, committed couples in California -- under our state's constitution.

http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/divorce
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Iowa -- FREAKIN' I-O-WAH! -- rules gay marriage should be legal!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/02/national/a101923D96.DTL&tsp=1

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/02/national/a101923D96.DTL&tsp=1

I'm gobsmacked. That's amazing. Althought I'd bet that the Prop 8 gang is wasting no time in mounting an initiative there to do what Prop 8 did in CA.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »

I'm gobsmacked. That's amazing. Althought I'd bet that the Prop 8 gang is wasting no time in mounting an initiative there to do what Prop 8 did in CA.

Not that many Mormons in Iowa (or Catholics, or Baptists for that matter, at least as a % of the population).  Not gonna have the same indigenous support.  And because of the attention they get with they're presidential caucases, Iowans are generally quite suspicious of outsiders telling them what sort of politics they should support.  For them it's usually the other way around. 

Imagine it's 2012, and all the Repugnican candidates have to pander to this issue they way they all do to ethanol.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:42:21 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

Not that many Mormons in Iowa (or Catholics, or Baptists for that matter, at least as a % of the population).  Not gonna have the same indigenous support.  And becasue of the attention they get with they're presidential caucases, Iowans are generally quite suspicious of outsiders telling them what sort of politics they should support.  For them it's usually the other way around. 

Imagine it's 2012, and all the Repugnican candidates have to pander to this issue they way they all do to ethanol.

But there *are* lots of Fundies, and as thrilled as I am that this has happened it is a court ruling on a law that *did* get passed, presumably because of those very same Fundies. So not to be a pessimist, but it ain't over in Iowa.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »

Not that many Mormons in Iowa (or Catholics, or Baptists for that matter, at least as a % of the population).  Not gonna have the same indigenous support.  And becasue of the attention they get with they're presidential caucases, Iowans are generally quite suspicious of outsiders telling them what sort of politics they should support.  For them it's usually the other way around. 

But there *are* lots of Fundies, and as thrilled as I am that this has happened it is a court ruling on a law that *did* get passed, presumably because of those very same Fundies. So not to be a pessimist, but it ain't over in Iowa.

On the other hand, per the NYTimes:

"Iowa has a history of being in the forefront on social issues. It was among the first states to legalize interracial marriage and to allow married women to own property. It was also the first state to admit a woman to the bar to practice law and was a leader in school desegregation."

The state legislature would have to amend the state's constitution in order to make gay marriage illegal again.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 05:17:14 PM »

On the other hand, per the NYTimes:

"Iowa has a history of being in the forefront on social issues. It was among the first states to legalize interracial marriage and to allow married women to own property. It was also the first state to admit a woman to the bar to practice law and was a leader in school desegregation."

The state legislature would have to amend the state's constitution in order to make gay marriage illegal again.

Wow, let's hear it for Iowa, the Berkeley of the Great Plains. Who knew?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
And now Vermont has legalized gay marriage -- overriding the (GOP) governor's veto:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040701663.html

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
And now Vermont has legalized gay marriage -- overriding the (GOP) governor's veto:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040701663.html

the most important sentence in that article:

"Vermont has no mechanism for a citizen referendum to override the law."

--Carlos Santana, 2010