Author Topic: Wed = 1976  (Read 19223 times)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2005, 10:46:41 AM »
Do it like this:

[ quote ]The stuff that you'r quoting[ / quote]

But, leave out the spaces....
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »
Quote from: "Rastermon"
Quote from: "yessongs"
Quote from: "Davefish"
BOS for Here at the Western World.

Pretty confident after only one song!   8)

I'm gonna have to go with Davefish.  Steely Dan BOS.

Hmm....  I'm thinking Heart now..   I loved that album...

why is it that when i "quote", I'm not displaying the white boxes, but quote tags?

Rastermon: Go to your profile and make sure you don't have "Disable HTML" checked.  I'm guessing that none of your tags are enabled.

Glad I didn't miss anything essential (by my definition) in this '76 set.  I just got back from Streaming Media East: I'm writing a piece for the Voice website on internet radio, so I got to interview Kurt Hanson (of AccuRadio and the R.A.I.N. newsletter) there.  I asked him about the VH1 "Cover to Cover" station: He said AccuRadio actually had nothing to do with that, but he's really curious to see/hear what they uncovered.  So there it is from the pipeline.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2005, 10:54:12 AM »
Btw, did anyone catch that version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" that Dave played around 9:40 or so? I always knew it as a Humble Pie song, but this was John Scofield doing a really nice, funky, groove-based version of it. He's got a new record out of Ray Charles tunes (the first of many I'm guessing) and I learned that Ray did it too (probably before Humble Pie ever got to it).

Just learned via AMG that I Don't Need No Doctor is an Ashford/Simpson composition. So there's two things I've learned about this song today. DaaaAAAAYY-AAMMMMM!!!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2005, 10:54:59 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Glad I didn't miss anything essential (by my definition) in this '76 set.

we had your back, bub -- proxy WOS votes for the McDoobies in TWO '76 sets (of which Bob's was the superior collection, IMHO).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Btw, did anyone catch that version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" that Dave played around 9:40 or so? I always knew it as a Humble Pie song, but this was John Scofield doing a really nice, funky, groove-based version of it. He's got a new record out of Ray Charles tunes (the first of many I'm guessing) and I learned that Ray did it too (probably before Humble Pie ever got to it).

Just learned via AMG that I Don't Need No Doctor is an Ashford/Simpson composition. So there's two things I've learned about this song today. DaaaAAAAYY-AAMMMMM!!!

Yeah, I believe Uncle Ray's was the first recorded.  But my favorite version is by -- shockingly -- metal-freaks W.A.S.P., who also did a magnif version of Uriah Heep's "Easy Livin'."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
janitor fixed it!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2005, 11:02:05 AM »
Quote from: "Rastermon"
why is it that when i "quote", I'm not displaying the white boxes, but quote tags?
you had your 'disable BBCode in this post' box checked.  Check your preferences to make sure it doesn't  come up that way automatically!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
NRPS
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2005, 11:03:51 AM »

New Riders of the Purple Sage version was hot, with that burnin' steel guitar sound!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2005, 11:20:14 AM »

my limited Googling shows it was written for Ray around '66, which would make Ms Simpson a mere child of 18 or 20 at the time (depending on whose version of her birth year you believe).

"another song forever changed by the Dead"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
I appreciated Gaz's proxy vote for me on the Climax Blues Band last week, but I guess I never made it clear how much I like "Rubberband Man", so no one proxied for me today.  

So belated BOS to the Spinners!

I'll be back later today, gotta drive up to the city now for lunch & a 1:30 meeting.  Having the GM of the whole company in town is a real good news/bad news situation.  Bad news = lots of tedious meetings going over stuff that I already know but he doesn't & very little time to waste posting/surfing.  Good news = lots of expense account meals at better than average restaurants.  

Gaz, we're going to Popolo today!  I'll give Ladan & Farhad your best.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
I Don't Need No Doctor
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:18 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

my limited Googling shows it was written for Ray around '66, which would make Ms Simpson a mere child of 18 or 20 at the time (depending on whose version of her birth year you believe).

"another song forever changed by the Dead"?
I wouldn't give NRPS that much credit.  It was cute and fun, but no classic.  Mickey Hart had a phrase, "Grateful Dead-ized" to describe a song they had taken over.  Some of the most famous examples are "Morning Dew," "Not Fade Away," and "I Know You Rider" to name a few.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed = 1976
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2005, 10:12:18 PM »
"Down at the Lido, they welcome you with sausage and beer ... "  This was one of the songs my brother put on a Steely Dan mixtape for me before my sophomore year of college in an attempt to turn me on to them (I'd thought them dull as dishwater while in high school).  I fell deeply in love with it, and it comprises, along with Erasure's "Blue Savannah," Lennon's "#9 Dream" and the Beatles' "Hey Bulldog," the essense of the soundtrack for that profounding affecting year for me.