Author Topic: The Drive, 10/6/06 - it's 1971  (Read 1923 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Drive, 10/6/06 - it's 1971
« on: October 06, 2006, 08:39:19 AM »
A nice set, but very much like the regular program WDRV playlist methinks.

BOS vote for "I'd Love to Change the World" featuring the best Eric Clapton solo not actually by Eric Clapton.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Drive, 10/6/06 - it's 1971
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

BOS vote for "I'd Love to Change the World" featuring the best Eric Clapton solo not actually by Eric Clapton.

As someone who saw 10 Years After twice at the Fillmore West, I don't see Alvin Lee as a Clapton imitator.  Albert King on meth perhaps!, but not necessarily Clapton.  The first album is totally killer, and I  hope Rod has it!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:53:51 AM »

What's the group consensus on the "dykes and fairies" line?  It's always rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't know if it's most fairly interpreted as
(a) anti-gay commentary;
(b) look-how-complicated-and-diverse-this-world-is bewilderment; or
(c) observation sung in character that shouldn't be taken personally

... ?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

What's the group consensus on the "dykes and fairies" line?  It's always rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't know if it's most fairly interpreted as
(a) anti-gay commentary;

... ?

I've settled on B but wonder about A often enough.  I don't think the song works if he is singing 'in character';  this is one of those really earnest songs that nobody makes anymore.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:56:28 AM »

(a) anti-gay commentary;

... ?

I've settled on B but wonder about A often enough.  I don't think the song works if he is singing 'in character';  this is one of those really earnest songs that nobody makes anymore.

I think we've discussed this song before and I still say that it is certainly not an idealistic/lefty song. "Tax the rich/feed the poor/till there are/ no rich no more" is a "libertarian" sentiment at best (in other words, "what happens when there are no more rich people to tax? then who feeds the poor, smartass?").  Of COURSE that dykes/fairies comment is anti-gay -- this was barely 3 years after Stonewall, gay rights as an issue had barely registered at that point.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 11:08:35 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

(a) anti-gay commentary;

... ?

I think we've discussed this song before and I still say that it is certainly not an idealistic/lefty song. "Tax the rich/feed the poor/till there are/ no rich no more" is a "libertarian" sentiment at best (in other words, "what happens when there are no more rich people to tax? then who feeds the poor, smartass?").  Of COURSE that dykes/fairies comment is anti-gay -- this was barely 3 years after Stonewall, gay rights as an issue had barely registered at that point.

Well, I ask because I find myself comparing/contrasting it with GNR's "One in a Million," in which Axl sings, "Immigrants and faggots, they make no sense to me."  He tried, unsuccessfully, to explain that he wasn't making anti-foreigner or anti-gay judgments, but rather expressing the overwhelmed perspective of someone from a tiny Indiana town who hasn't encountered large segments of the human spectrum.  I never knew whether to believe Axl or not, just as so many people (including myself, frequently) struggle with apprehending Eminem.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

(a) anti-gay commentary;

... ?

ha! i always heard it (and sang it) as "tax the rich, feed the poor, don't make ronald rich no more." but it amounts to to same meaning. i've always "wondered" about the dykes and fairies line, too. mostly because i love singing along to the song. and i don't love being a hater.
HOWEVER...

i posit we interpret it as a, b, and c, seeing as how each verse seems to be sung from a different perspective. let's observe:

Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

Id love to change the world
But I dont know what to do
So Ill leave it up to you

Population keeps on breeding
Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy
Life is funny, skies are sunny
Bees make honey, who needs money, monopoly

World pollution, theres no solution
Institution, electrocution
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war

the first verse - the ultra-con verse - is in stark contrast with the third verse. i don't think super rich ultra-cons are joining hands with super-impoverished black schoolchildren to stop the war.

and the second verse, with it's stoner (or just blissfully ignorant) "sunny skies" and "bees" contrasts with both the "sanity" sought in the first verse, and with the worry of "no solution" in the third verse.

i could go on, but i'm going to listen to that killer guitar solo now...

eta: conclusion: so, see, each group wants to change the world, but they don't know how, so they leave it up to the other groups. which is pretty accurate.

oh, and the guitar solo rocks.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 03:54:15 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
the first verse - the ultra-con verse - is in stark contrast with the third verse. i don't think super rich ultra-cons are joining hands with super-impoverished black schoolchildren to stop the war.

and the second verse, with it's stoner (or just blissfully ignorant) "sunny skies" and "bees" contrasts with both the "sanity" sought in the first verse, and with the worry of "no solution" in the third verse.

i could go on, but i'm going to listen to that killer guitar solo now...

eta: conclusion: so, see, each group wants to change the world, but they don't know how, so they leave it up to the other groups. which is pretty accurate.

oh, and the guitar solo rocks.

Well said!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Everywhere is freaks and hairies
How come nobody cares about what the freaks and hairies think?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!