Main Discussion Area > Stream of Consciousness

Copyedit 101

(1/36) > >>

urth:
Since we have two copy editors in our midst and several other grammar geeks, I thought this thread was warranted.

From the front page of SFGate, in the blurb for their lead (about ramen noodles):

Jeff Yang pays tribute to this food which serves billions of people every year in the wake of its inventor Momofuku Ando's death.

princessofcairo:

--- Quote from: "urth" ---Since we have two copy editors in our midst and several other grammar geeks, I thought this thread was warranted.

From the front page of SFGate, in the blurb for their lead (about ramen noodles):

Jeff Yang pays tribute to this food which serves billions of people every year in the wake of its inventor Momofuku Ando's death.
--- End quote ---

good thing he only died once!

Alicat:
I'm still driven crazy when I get email or anything in writing from an adult who misuses hear/here, there/they're/their.  Happens more frequesntly than it should. It really lowers my estimation of the intelligence of the writer.

RGMike:
I didn't know where else to put this, but it is language-related, so...

Is "gi-normous" now officially a real word?  I've heard it used in 3 different commercials lately, and just now an astronomer, no less, used it on "Countdown" (Keith Olbermann was asking him about that big supernova that's in the news).

urth:

--- Quote from: "RGMike" ---I didn't know where else to put this, but it is language-related, so...

Is "gi-normous" now officially a real word?  I've heard it used in 3 different commercials lately, and just now an astronomer, no less, used it on "Countdown" (Keith Olbermann was asking him about that big supernova that's in the news).
--- End quote ---

Sad to say, but I think it is. I found it listed on the Oxford dictionary site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version