Author Topic: 8 July 2016: it's Songs about Weed  (Read 4582 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 July 2016: it's Songs about Weed
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
Pot, dope, reefer, Mary Jane, bud, herb, ganja, sinsemilla, Acupulco gold, hemp.

Had a 9am call that went way long, so I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I expect to later today.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:59:57 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 8 July 2016: it's Songs about Weed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
Wow -- this is a surprise. It's not even 4/20!

Did that pot proposition just officially qualify for the ballot?

ETA: that was indeed the inspiration here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:54:48 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
1. Toyes, I Smoke Two Joints
2. George McCrae, I Get Lifted
3. The Mighty Diamonds, Pass The Kouchie
4. Ray Charles, Let’s Go Get Stoned
5. Peter Tosh, Legalize It
6. Rick James, Mary Jane
7. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Proud Mary
8. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Reefer Man
9. Brewer & Shipley, One Toke Over The Line
10. Toby Keith, Weed with Willie

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »

really?  I was looking at songfacts.com and found this, which reinforces what I've always heard:

Quote from: songfacts
The line, "Pumped a lot of pain down in New Orleans" is actually "Pumped a lot of 'Pane," as in propane. He was pumping gas.

Our band does this song at the hospital a lot, very popular.  When looking up lyrics for lots of songs on the internet, you'll find all kinds of things.  I think we've even sung "humped a lot of plates" too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
really?  I was looking at songfacts.com and found this, which reinforces what I've always heard:

The line, "Pumped a lot of pain down in New Orleans" is actually "Pumped a lot of 'Pane," as in propane. He was pumping gas.
Our band does this song at the hospital a lot, very popular.  When looking up lyrics for lots of songs on the internet, you'll find all kinds of things.  I think we've even sung "humped a lot of plates" too.

I've always heard it as "pumped a lot of 'tane" (as in octane -- gasoline).
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »

In any case, I never considered Proud Mary to be a song about smoking pot, but I assume he chose it for the line "rollin' on the river" as in, rolling joints? Kind of a stretch if you ask me -- did any of you get any marijuana references in this song before yesterday's set?
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »

In any case, I never considered Proud Mary to be a song about smoking pot, but I assume he chose it for the line "rollin' on the river" as in, rolling joints? Kind of a stretch if you ask me -- did any of you get any marijuana references in this song before yesterday's set?

No to your second question; I thought it was chosen because of "Mary" in the title -- as in Mary Jane.  It's a
poor choice, given the plethora of better alternatives.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »

No to your second question; I thought it was chosen because of "Mary" in the title -- as in Mary Jane.  It's a

Well, she does keep on burnin'...

Agreed on the " 'tane " -- that was always my take too.

And I never thought of "I Get Lifted" as a pot song either.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »
Overall not a bad set, points for avoiding some obvious picks (Panama Red, Don't Bogart That Joint to name just two). Negative points for trying to squeeze Proud Mary into a theme it didn't truly fit into though. (I think he knew he was going to get comments on that, as in the backsell he sounds like he's defending that choice, before the set even aired.)

Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »

Well, she does keep on burnin'...

Agreed on the " 'tane " -- that was always my take too.

And I never thought of "I Get Lifted" as a pot song either.
Certainly, Tina Turner pronounced it as "'tane", presumably for the reasons mentioned above. CCR definitely says "pane", though I always interpreted it as "pain", as in it was a lot of work and he was sore after doing it. Who pumps propane, anyway?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »
Certainly, Tina Turner pronounced it as "'tane", presumably for the reasons mentioned above. CCR definitely says "pane", though I always interpreted it as "pain", as in it was a lot of work and he was sore after doing it. Who pumps propane, anyway?

Tina was pumpin' 'tane while Ike was snortin' 'caine.