Author Topic: Wednesday April 6--it's...aw crap, it's 1990  (Read 21634 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wednesday April 6--it's...aw crap, it's 1990
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2005, 11:12:18 AM »
well, i wish you good years for the rest of the week. i am off to paris. oh, blessed international flight sleep...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "urth"

Any idea what any of them are up to now? Jason Falkner played guitar with Air a couple years ago and puts out the occasional solo record, but no clue what Sturmer and the Manning brothers are doing.

absolutely nothing. i've heard tons of stories about how they will never regroup (they were local cats, dig?), but i don't know why. i say andy's name credited somewhere as producer. and the mannings are working, but just not together...

Yeah, I knew they were from hereabouts--a couple friends of mine worked with one of the Mannings at a Record Factory in Dublin.

Also, there's a folkie, name of Roger Manning too, based in NY I think. Not the same guy, no relation.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2005, 11:16:27 AM »
Bon Voyage, POC!

Well, I've used up all my French....
nakes? On my plane?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2005, 02:56:59 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
Bon Voyage, POC!

Well, I've used up all my French....

Moi aussi!  Cherchez la femme!

(now I've used up all of my French).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2005, 03:04:55 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
At long last, a worthy BOS: The King is Half Undressed.

I second that emotion.

I was out driving between customer locations & heard most of the set.  This got my BOS too, & when I called in to tell Dave I also complimented him on the great segues, but none of you guys commented on them.  Sure it was a Katrina laden set, but both the "Giants are moving to Santa Clara" into the "You Dirty Bird" clip AND the Gulf War clip into "The King Is Half Underessed" were truly inspired.  I'd almost tape the set just for those moments tonight.

Anyway I told Dave that he was really on top of his game with the segues, and he said "thanks very much for noticing" in a really sincere & genuine way that showed he'd put some effort into them.

He still needs a whole new set list, but give credit where it is due.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Davefish"
At long last, a worthy BOS: The King is Half Undressed.

I second that emotion.

I was out driving between customer locations & heard most of the set.  This got my BOS too, & when I called in to tell Dave I also complimented him on the great segues, but none of you guys commented on them.  Sure it was a Katrina laden set, but both the "Giants are moving to Santa Clara" into the "You Dirty Bird" clip AND the Gulf War clip into "The King Is Half Underessed" were truly inspired.  I'd almost tape the set just for those moments tonight.

Anyway I told Dave that he was really on top of his game with the segues, and he said "thanks very much for noticing" in a really sincere & genuine way that showed he'd put some effort into them.

He still needs a whole new set list, but give credit where it is due.

You're right -- those are clever. I didn't even notice the "Dirty Bird" seg, and in our defense, I think we have such low expectations for '90s sets that all it takes is one or two Katrinas to put us on autopilot. Sad, but there you are.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round