Author Topic: 1969 (YAY!) on Fri 8/26/05  (Read 8505 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1969 (YAY!) on Fri 8/26/05
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2005, 08:46:56 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Oh hell -- 10 way tie!

The Tullsters jazzin' out on "Bouree" (or however it's spelled). Is this song #10? If so we've begun & ended with instrumentals.

Think Bob was lurking? He mentioned at least 3 things in the rundown that we already posted about.

He's not allowed to lurk :wink:  Great minds...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Anonymous

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 09:37:47 AM »
BOS however-many-it-is, Neon Philharmonic, another Gaz WOS (unfathomably, may I add).

If "Morning Girl" had been an instrumental, I'd BOS it in a heartbeat.  But the lyric creeps me out -- not so much for the deflowering, but for the way he says, the morning after, "here's some breakfast, now get the fuck out my house."  That he so casually informs this blushing young thing that her first experience was a one-night stand is sufficiently distasteful to me that I can't enjoy the song as a whole.

But it giggles me to know that the auteur behind that (a) is named Tupper Saucey, or something silly like that; and (b) later went underground as a tax fugitive, never to resurface.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 09:55:45 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
BOS however-many-it-is, Neon Philharmonic, another Gaz WOS (unfathomably, may I add).

If "Morning Girl" had been an instrumental, I'd BOS it in a heartbeat.  But the lyric creeps me out -- not so much for the deflowering, but for the way he says, the morning after, "here's some breakfast, now get the fuck out my house."  That he so casually informs this blushing young thing that her first experience was a one-night stand is sufficiently distasteful to me that I can't enjoy the song as a whole.

I think that's ONE interpretation.

Mornin' girl, how'd ya sleep last night
You're several ages older now
Your eyes have started showin' how
The little girls growin' now

Mornin' girl, was that you last night
Crying on the radio
Beggin' for a way to go
To go back where love wasn't jumbled so

Oh, no, things are different now than they were before
You know love is more than kisses
A whole lot more

Mornin' girl, put your dreams away
And read your box of Cheerios
And powder-puff that pretty nose
And go out and find your man where the wild wind blows
Mornin' girl

I always saw an omniscient narrator, not necessarily the guy who actually spent the night with (and deflowered?) her.  He's saying, "OK, you've experienced physical love -- now go out and build on that by finding someone who will truly love you".  Or as Gary Puckett sang later that year, "this girl is a woman now..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 10:16:56 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

I think that's ONE interpretation.

Mornin' girl, how'd ya sleep last night
You're several ages older now
Your eyes have started showin' how
The little girls growin' now

Mornin' girl, was that you last night
Crying on the radio
Beggin' for a way to go
To go back where love wasn't jumbled so

Oh, no, things are different now than they were before
You know love is more than kisses
A whole lot more

Mornin' girl, put your dreams away
And read your box of Cheerios
And powder-puff that pretty nose
And go out and find your man where the wild wind blows
Mornin' girl

I always saw an omniscient narrator, not necessarily the guy who actually spent the night with (and deflowered?) her.  He's saying, "OK, you've experienced physical love -- now go out and build on that by finding someone who will truly love you".  Or as Gary Puckett sang later that year, "this girl is a woman now..."

FWIW, I don't see how the 2nd verse allows this to be a deflowering reference at all.  If she was crying on the radio last night begging to go back, I have to assume it was back to a time before she got into an abusive relationship.  I agree with Mike that the POV is from an omniscient advice giver.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the list
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »
wow, at least 4 BOS's here:

TEN @ 10 LOG FOR 08.26.05

Booker T & MG's  -  Time is Tight
The Rolling Stones  -  Gimme Shelter
It's a Beautiful Day  -  Hot Summer Day
The Kinks  -  Victoria
Bubble Puppy  -  Hot Smoke and Sasafrass
Simon & Garfunkel  -  The Boxer
Led Zeppelin  -  Thank You
Neon Philharmonic  -  Morning Girl
The Beach Boys  -  I Can Hear Music
Jethro Tull  -  Bouree

Join us Monday on Ten @ 10 for ten great songs from 1979 on 97.1 FM The Drive.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2005, 10:20:54 PM »
The fact that there are at least three people here who have well considered opinions on the meaning of Neon Philharmonic's "Morning Girl" thrills me to no end.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”