Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/20/07  (Read 9969 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/20/07
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 02:18:55 PM »
a little Rapper's DeeeeLite from Sugarhill.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I surely have heard "moonlight feels right" a zillion times, and it only now occurs to me that it's a song about getting a BJ in a car.  He "finally made a tricky French (!)) connection", and a "wet kiss"  makes "the tide rise again"? Damn, why didn't I think of this before?  They shoulda done a flute solo indstead of going with the xylophone :wink:

OK then. What station are you on?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:08 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I surely have heard "moonlight feels right" a zillion times, and it only now occurs to me that it's a song about getting a BJ in a car.  He "finally made a tricky French (!)) connection", and a "wet kiss"  makes "the tide rise again"? Damn, why didn't I think of this before?  They shoulda done a flute solo indstead of going with the xylophone :wink:

OK then. What station are you on?

WLNG.com
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 12:31:23 PM »
If anyone's online tonight, Barry Scott's weekly Lost 45s show, an obscurities-fest I've touted much in years past, is once again online, as Oldies 103.3 in Boston has resumed simulcasting on the Web. http://www.oldies1033.com/ Sunday 7-10pm. You'll be glad you did

I just tried out the Oldies 103.3 player, in advance of maybe listening to Barry Scott later, and they're playing Billy Joel's "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" -- if you asked me to name a non-single that an oldies station might have in rotation, that would not be a song that would come to mind. Impressive.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »
If anyone's online tonight, Barry Scott's weekly Lost 45s show, an obscurities-fest I've touted much in years past, is once again online, as Oldies 103.3 in Boston has resumed simulcasting on the Web. http://www.oldies1033.com/ Sunday 7-10pm. You'll be glad you did

I just tried out the Oldies 103.3 player, in advance of maybe listening to Barry Scott later, and they're playing Billy Joel's "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" -- if you asked me to name a non-single that an oldies station might have in rotation, that would not be a song that would come to mind. Impressive.

Good on them.  I'll be tuning in for Barry Scott in a few minutes.  For now, catching some all-over-the-placers on LuxuriaMusic: a cover of "Liar Liar" by the Iberos (?) and a grand tune from Don ("Indian Reservation") Fardon: "I'm Alive."  BTW, Mike, your Esquivel-bach-pad description was one of the great lines about anything, ever.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
Mike, I hope you tuned in in time for another dose of Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days."  I have to admit, the chorus's rhyming of "day" with "days" really anoys me, and the song's really a verse/chorus too long, but there's something in my quarter-Russian, quarter-Gypsy heritage that compels me toward that Eastern European melody.

Barry's been on a roll otherwise.  We got Livvie's "Deeper Than the Night" and Donna's "The Wand-uh-uh" back to back.  But alas, these are all songs that *didn't* make his Top 100 countdown (next week's show).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »
Added bonus: The "just played" feature runs a song ahead of the stream, so you can cheat and look ahead if you want.

Alicat alert: "The Love I Lost" was a sweet song, indeed.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »
OMGWTF: Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, "Tell It All, Brother"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Mike, I hope you tuned in in time for another dose of Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days."  I have to admit, the chorus's rhyming of "day" with "days" really anoys me, and the song's really a verse/chorus too long, but there's something in my quarter-Russian, quarter-Gypsy heritage that compels me toward that Eastern European melody.

Barry's been on a roll otherwise.  We got Livvie's "Deeper Than the Night" and Donna's "The Wand-uh-uh" back to back.  But alas, these are all songs that *didn't* make his Top 100 countdown (next week's show).

Oh Gaz! This is beyond heavenly. I tuned in just in time for this 1970 Yearbook thingy.  "Candida" and "Out in the Country" are among my fave Dawn and 3DN songs, but -- hoo lawd! -- Candi Staten Island's "Stand By Your Man" was a treat and a half. It actually reached #24 Pop, but NOBODY in NYC and environs played it, and since Casey Kasem didn't get picked up in NY until the following Spring, it was lost to me.

TANC: news clip of Jackson State -- followed by Kenny Rogers, "Tell It All, Brother"!!!  

I'll have to tune away for the Big Love season finale in 45 mins, but this will be a regular Sunday nite feature in my house from now on!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18:43 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
OMGWTF: Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, "Tell It All, Brother"

is that an amazing lyric, or what?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
proxy of cairo: Tom Jones, "I Who Have Nothing" OMFG this is some seriously amazing shit.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
I know you like this one, Mike, but I really can't listen to "Playground in My Mind."  Didn't know that was a Paul Vance production.

And I'm stunned that during this wartime "Bring the Boys Home" didn't make the Top 100.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »
Another OMGWTF: Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Look in My Eyes Pretty Woman," momentarily taking them out of vaudeville and into Jay & the Americans territory.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
"And that's called ... " MAWKISH.  I am floored by the Shangri-Las' "I Can Never Go Home Anymore."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »
One in my all-time Top 5: Grass Roots, "I'd Wait a Million Years."