Author Topic: CG/VIP/LNG/KPOO etc Week of 4/10/06  (Read 13090 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/VIP/LNG/KPOO etc Week of 4/10/06
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
Judge is making being sick almost a pleasure.  He unearthed the Sly live-at-Woodstock medley of "Dance to the Music/Music Lover/Take You Higher", which I haven't heard in decades.

And here's a Curtis Mayfield song I'm not familar with: "something ... something/Sho' is funky/I ain't no junkie". From Superfly?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »
Good Gawd! here are the 4 Tops covering Todd's "We Gotta Get You a Woman" -- never heard this before, looks like it's from Nature Planned it, their last Motown LP.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »
BTW, I got an email from CGSS's Greg Edwards, wondering if we'd "figured out" how to continue hearing CG (and supplying me with a London Postal Code to use just in case!). Which I thought was very sweet.  I told him we "broke the code" and are still very much with him.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:58:44 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
BTW, I got an email from CGSS's Greg Edwards, wondering if we'd "figured out" how to continue hearing CG (and supplying me with a London Postal Code to use just in case!). Which I thought was very sweet.  I told him we "broke the code" and are still very much with him.

I'm glad to hear this.  The Voice is still considering this topic for a future "Sound of the Industry" article -- which, unfortunately, I won't have time to research and write if they assign it to me.

Are you listening to CG this afternoon?  I'm going to have some station playing in the background while I write my Monkees paper, would be nice to have company, so let me know what you're tuned in to.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 11:19:09 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I'm glad to hear this.  The Voice is still considering this topic for a future "Sound of the Industry" article -- which, unfortunately, I won't have time to research and write if they assign it to me.

Are you listening to CG this afternoon?  I'm going to have some station playing in the background while I write my Monkees paper, would be nice to have company, so let me know what you're tuned in to.

Yeah, I'll switch over to CG, now that I've heard Pearl Harbor as Annalisa's bonus track.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:20:34 AM »
and we begin wif Lufah! "Stop to Love".

"one day you'll discov-a
I'm the one you love-a"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:23:29 AM »
and we begin wif Lufah! "Stop to Love".

A guilty pleasure for me.  Guilty, because
* I blame Luther and Narada Michael Walden for killing the organic R&B of Motown, Stax et al.  Their use of programmed drums, synths, and bass gave way too much '80s soul a metallic, inauthentic flavor, from which the genre has never fully recovered IMHO.
* And because the song's message is an awful one if we assume Loofa's singing to a woman: You shouldn't be working, that's my job, so stop that silly stuff and return to the home where you belong.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
if we assume Loofa's singing to a woman...

Er... no comment.  But somebody's GOTTA be writing one helluva tell-all, warts-and-all bio, no?

ETA: after examining the lyrics, I don't see any referecne to the fact that HE works at all.  (He's being kept?)  She's working overtime, leaving him "home alone" -- which would be black-culturally accurate, and the target demo is black women, after all.  

She's a rich girl, and she's gone too far. It's a bitch!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
Hips are movin' now!  Yay for the SDQ!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:32:20 AM »
if we assume Loofa's singing to a woman...

Er... no comment.  But somebody's GOTTA be writing one helluva tell-all, warts-and-all bio, no?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »
OMG! Procol Harum's "Homburg" comin' up.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:46:17 AM »

What a lovely, lovely song.  I have only heard four PH songs -- this, "Pale," "Conquistador," and "A Salty Dog" -- and love them all.  Is the rest of their catalog as elegant?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »
Did this band have to pay royalties to GH for using "Taxman"'s bassline on "What You Give Is What You Get"?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »

What a lovely, lovely song.  I have only heard four PH songs -- this, "Pale," "Conquistador," and "A Salty Dog" -- and love them all.  Is the rest of their catalog as elegant?

I used to have a GH cassette of theirs that came out in '73 -- it included "Homburg", which was my first time hearing the song (though it did actually make the US Top 40).  I remember liking the songs but I've never gone deeper -- They're on Little Steven's list of best groups ever.

and lo -- the Jam!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:57:21 AM »
Did this band have to pay royalties to GH for using "Taxman"'s bassline on "What You Give Is What You Get"?

That was the Jam, "Start". and no, I don't think George got upset (pot calling the kettle a Taxman?)