Author Topic: Thurs, Feb 24, 2005- It's 1987  (Read 18858 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs, Feb 24, 2005- It's 1987
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2005, 10:43:15 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

it wouldn't seem quite so bad if we hadn't had '89, '85 AND '87 in one week, even if '85 was better than average. Tomorrow better be good.

It does seem like the sets have been skewing more towards 80s/90s the last month or so. And when we do get a 70s set, it's more likely 76 or newer. Or am I imagining it?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
BOS Bruce even though I missed it. Would that Dave plays the Mavericks cover of "All That Heaven..." in the next '93 (or was it '94?) set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 10:46:15 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Thanks!  Who's opening?

P.S.  Please remind me which night you and Mrs. Urth are going to see the Jayhawks.  Now that they've announced their disbandment, it's a bit more urgent that I try to go.   :(

Openers are: From Bubblegum to Sky; Knife and Fork; and Toshio Hirano. Can you clue me in on any/all of them? I haven't a clue (like that's a surprise.)

As for the Jayhawks thing: March 3, Bowery Ballroom.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Thanks!  Who's opening?

P.S.  Please remind me which night you and Mrs. Urth are going to see the Jayhawks.  Now that they've announced their disbandment, it's a bit more urgent that I try to go.   :(

Openers are: From Bubblegum to Sky; Knife and Fork; and Toshio Hirano. Can you clue me in on any/all of them? I haven't a clue (like that's a surprise.)

Ooh!  I saw From Bubblegum to Sky at the Noise Pop fest back in 2001.  They did a fun cover of "Science Fiction Double Feature."  But their big shtick was this: they only had two people touring and needed a larger sound -- so they videotaped themselves playing a couple instruments, and then projected that video onto a screen while they played drums and keybs live, effectively duetting with themselves.  I thought it was a cute gimmick.  And the songs, as best as I can recall, were downright catchy.  I think they're Japanese Texans.

No clue on the other two, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks!  Who's opening?

Ooh!  I saw From Bubblegum to Sky at the Noise Pop fest back in 2001.  They did a fun cover of "Science Fiction Double Feature."  But their big shtick was this: they only had two people touring and needed a larger sound -- so they videotaped themselves playing a couple instruments, and then projected that video onto a screen while they played drums and keybs live, effectively duetting with themselves.  I thought it was a cute gimmick.  And the songs, as best as I can recall, were downright catchy.  I think they're Japanese Texans.

No clue on the other two, though.

Thanks for the 411. If they are on right before PS I might catch them, but otherwise probably not. Show starts at 8, and with three openers I'm thinking I could get there at 10 and still see everything I need to see.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
good day to miss the set
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
Yet another WOS candidate: Steve Miller

Better than Abracadabra, but only a little.

I'm kinda relieved I'm not the only one who finds today's set dire.

Was driving to/from Sacto this a.m. seems like a good set to miss overall, I can find nothing redeeming about "Don't Dream It's Over" at this point & would have turned off the radio had I heard it.

I dislike that much worse than Gaz dislikes the Steve Miller (trust me), btw the latter featured an as-then-yet-unkown Kenny G. on the sax solo (which might account for something).

Did nobody comment on the Jesus & Mary Chain track "April Skies"? or was that the one that provoked Gaz's "producers on coke" rejoinder.  I like the song (& band) but it's become predictable & isn't enough to make up for the more drecklich predictable filler from Dave.  At least we were spared FYC & "C'est La Vie".

And since when did y'all become Bodeans haters?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: good day to miss the set
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
And since when did y'all become Bodeans haters?

I think I was the only one hating on them today.  :)  I don't dislike their whole body of work, but they sound a lot worse when surrounded by uninspired drecklich.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the official list, and Steve Miller
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2005, 09:23:33 PM »
well, since you guys won't list the songs, I was curious as to what Steve Miller song merited such derision.  Not as bad as Abracadabra you say (a song I like), hmmm...what song could it be?

2/24/05 - Thursday!  A visit to...1987!!!
Fabulous Thunderbirds - Stand Back
Jesus & Mary Chain - April Skies
Pink Floyd - One Slip
Rock & Hyde - Dirty Water
Bruce - All That Heaven Will Allow
Lone Justice - Shelter (BEST OF SET!!!)
Bodeans - Dreams
Steve Miller Band - I Want to Make the World Turn Around
Crowded House - Don't Dream it's Over
Psychedelic Furs - Heartbreak Beat

Jeez!  One of my favorite Steve Miller songs!  A great song for Earth Day, great bluesy riff, it's official.  I'm out of touch.  At school, I'm getting hammered for not believing the ideal of the Melting Pot is evil.  It seems as though one of the most important jobs schools have is helping students establish their primary ethnic identity.  What business the schools have getting involved in the studen's ethnicity is beyond me.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 07:46:44 AM »
That's a sad state indeed.  Especially when so many people don't even *have* a "primary" ethnic identity!  If I were a student at your school, would I be expected to cultivate Irish pride (50%)?  Russian pride (25%)?  Gypsy pride (25%)?  Or just White Pride?  I still like to believe in the Melting Pot -- you're not alone there.

Doesn't help me enjoy that Steve Miller song, though.  ;)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Steve Miller
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2005, 08:03:07 AM »
That's a sad state indeed.  Especially when so many people don't even *have* a "primary" ethnic identity!  If I were a student at your school, would I be expected to cultivate Irish pride (50%)?  Russian pride (25%)?  Gypsy pride (25%)?  Or just White Pride?  I still like to believe in the Melting Pot -- you're not alone there.

Doesn't help me enjoy that Steve Miller song, though.  ;)
I'm not naive enough to think that would have happened! :lol:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2005, 08:06:52 AM »
I completely agree with Geoff, cranky old white guy that I am. But by way of explanation, the reason that the Melting Pot has fallen into disfavor is that it's about "assimilation", about making everybody more or less the same, and the PC crowd gets queasy about that because (they say) it implies that ethnic characteristics are bad.

Former NYC Mayor Dinkins used the term "Gorgeous Mosaic" and that sorta caught on for a while.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
melting pot, mosaic, salad bowl
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I completely agree with Geoff, cranky old white guy that I am. But by way of explanation, the reason that the Melting Pot has fallen into disfavor is that it's about "assimilation", about making everybody more or less the same, and the PC crowd gets queasy about that because (they say) it implies that ethnic characteristics are bad.

Former NYC Mayor Dinkins used the term "Gorgeous Mosaic" and that sorta caught on for a while.
arguing about the analogies is a little silly.  But I think ultimately there's a racist undercurrent to all this ethnic pride stuff.  I think some people are happier if people just stay inside their own little enclaves, and don't mix with the rest of us.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: good day to miss the set
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2005, 08:13:33 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Did nobody comment on the Jesus & Mary Chain track "April Skies"? or was that the one that provoked Gaz's "producers on coke" rejoinder.  

i voted it an early bos. i think gaz' coke song was the pink floyd tune.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: melting pot, mosaic, salad bowl
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2005, 08:19:02 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I think some people are happier if people just stay inside their own little enclaves, and don't mix with the rest of us.

oh. geesh. so much to say about this...i agree with you guys, of course. but then i have that whole white man in black woman's body thing going on. i wonder where you stop with the primary identity? i mean, i believe in reincarnation - things could get messy.

i think the melting pot idea has noble purpose. just because people misconstrue doesn't mean we should do away entirely with that idea.
but it's funny to observe how much american culture everyone adopts even when they're trying hard to stay within their private ethnic enclave. those nikes match your burka! sweet!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: melting pot, mosaic, salad bowl
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2005, 09:00:28 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
it's funny to observe how much american culture everyone adopts even when they're trying hard to stay within their private ethnic enclave. those nikes match your burka! sweet!

Exactly!

but re: Geoff's comment, I don't think white racists invented the ethnic identity thing -- that came from way-left academics -- but they have seized on it as something that plays right into their plans.