Author Topic: Happy 80 Leonard Nimoy  (Read 2199 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Happy 80 Leonard Nimoy
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
Nimoy turns 80 today, just four days after Wm Shatner's 80th:
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/03/happy-80th-birthday-leonard-nimoy/
'Fascinating' facts you may not know about Nimoy's achievements:
- He served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army in the 1950s, alongside actor Ken Berry and famed architect Frank Gehry.
- Nimoy went on to play an Army sergeant in the 1954 classic sci-fi film Them!
- He has been married twice and is father to two children. His current wife, actress Susan Bay, is a cousin to movie director Michael Bay.
- He worked as a singer following the success of Star Trek, releasing five albums.
- He stepped behind the camera in 1985 to direct The Bangles "Going Down To Liverpool" music video which also features a brief appearance from the actor, whose son Adam went to college with singer Susanna Hoffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWC2-MFwWr8&fmt=6
- He has written two autobiographies - I Am Not Spock (1977) and I Am Spock (1995), both in reference to his famous Star Trek character.
- He is a keen poet and has published many of his works, including a collection called A Lifetime of Love: Poems on the Passages of Life in 2002.
- He has remained close friends with William Shatner since their Star Trek days and was best man at Shatner's third wedding in 1997.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 80 Leonard Nimoy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
He also directed the 3rd & 4th Trek movies -- the 4th (... the Voyage Home) is generally agreed to be the best -- and also directed 3 Men & a Baby, one of the biggest-grossing comedies of the '80s. He could've had a long successful directing career, but for some reason, just wasn't interested.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
LLAP, Spock.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
He also directed the 3rd & 4th Trek movies -- the 4th (... the Voyage Home) is generally agreed to be the best -- and also directed 3 Men & a Baby, one of the biggest-grossing comedies of the '80s. He could've had a long successful directing career, but for some reason, just wasn't interested.

and of course he was sampled saying "pure energy" on Info Society's "What's On Your Mind", which was played on one of the out-of-town 10@10s today.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
indeed!

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »
well, now they'll REALLY want to see his birth certificate...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
and of course he was sampled saying "pure energy" on Info Society's "What's On Your Mind", which was played on one of the out-of-town 10@10s today.

I never knew that!