Author Topic: RIP Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H, Dragnet, 96  (Read 3012 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H, Dragnet, 96
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »
Besides playing Col. Potter on M*A*S*H, the Emmy-winning actor starred in 9 other series, was in 50 films.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/07/national/a100027S73.DTL&tsp=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Harry Morgan of M*A*S*H, Dragnet, 96
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
wow, he was on my "I thought he was already dead" list. But RIP, he was a great.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
I didn't think he was still kickin' either.  Terrific character actor, though, I suppose, he almost always played a variation of the same character.  Great sidekick, whether in The Ox-Bow Incident or Dragnet, and probably a number of other roles that are escaping me right now.  Thanks for the memories, Harry, and RIP.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »
RIP Harry Morgan

I remember seeing the pilot episode/movie of Dragnet at the Roxie.  There's a scene where Jack WEbb and Harry Morgan get into an elevator and the door closes.  The elevator starts to move, and Jack and Harry portrayed this action by doing a little lurch.   The elevator stopped and they did the same thing.  We all busted up.

I caught an ep of M*A*S*H the other night on MeTV and Harry Morgan's character Colonel Potter was drunk off his arse.  Three sheets to the wind blotto.  It was "funny," of course, but in later seasons I don't think you would have seen his character played like that.

Same thing w Hot Lipps:  Loretta Swit made sure the character evolved into a real person instead of just Frank Burns' idiot and bitchy mistress.    (I miss Frank... "I can go in, I can go out, I can go in, I can go out.")
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I remember watching Pete and Gladys reruns when I was home sick from school in my early elementary years; couldn't even guess how many shows I've seen him in since.  A great character actor. His portrayal of Col. Potter turned what could have been a disaster for M*A*S*H into a positive addition; his role was easily as charismatic as McLean Stevenson's Henry Blake.  (And he died 15 years ago.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
I caught an ep of M*A*S*H the other night on MeTV ...

were you watching over-the-air on the KOFY subchannel? What's the reception like where you are?  Still waiting for them to come to an "agreement" to put KOFY 20.2 on Comcast.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
I caught an ep of M*A*S*H the other night on MeTV ...

were you watching over-the-air on the KOFY subchannel? What's the reception like where you are?  Still waiting for them to come to an "agreement" to put KOFY 20.2 on Comcast.

yes, broadcast over the air (digital signal, of course).  Looks fine.

I'm falling in love with the Odd Couple all over again.
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »
wow, he was on my "I thought he was already dead" list. But RIP, he was a great.
Ditto. Really liked him.
Sharks bleed teal.