Author Topic: 31 Jan 2013: it's... 1971!  (Read 9803 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2013: it's... 1971!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
Wow -- George Harrison sings the plight of Bangla Desh
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Anyone else think Renee will play Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy"?

Yup, I called it!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:38:34 AM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
This quadruple shot came a little too easy.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
I'm sorry but I effing hate this song (Imagine). It's ten times worse than Hey Jude or Let It Be.

I'd put "Imagine" between the two others, but yeah, I get what you're saying. Uber-LN

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
Renee sez Janis Joplin is BOS with John Lennon getting VHM.
Tuned to a natural E

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
I'm sorry but I effing hate this song (Imagine). It's ten times worse than Hey Jude or Let It Be.

I'd put "Imagine" between the two others, but yeah, I get what you're saying. Uber-LN
As someone who has played this song in public (church, hospital, parties) I have to politely disagree as strongly as I can.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
Funny: I had a Dr's appt at 9, and when I got in the car at 10:45 10@10 was already over. I assumed it was a super-short 1966 set or something. This looks like it was pretty LN-heavy except for "Bangla Desh".  At least the Janis wasn't "Bobby McGee"...

1. Janis Joplin - Move Over
2. Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate
3. James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
4. Carole King - It's Too Late
(Movie: Willy Wonka)
5. Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
6. Three Dog Night - An Old Fashioned Love Song
(News: Nixon/Viet Nam)
7. John Lennon - Imagine
8. Paul McCarthey - Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
(News: Bangladesh)
9. George Harrison - Bangladesh
10. Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »

As someone who has played this song in public (church, hospital, parties) I have to politely disagree as strongly as I can.

I think it is a great song, but also a song that I rarely leave on when it comes on the car radio -- I'll click around the presets in hope of something not so familiar and slow.  Really slow.  And preachy.  But if I am in the mood, it is perfectly fine.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »

I think it is a great song, but also a song that I rarely leave on when it comes on the car radio -- I'll click around the presets in hope of something not so familiar and slow.  Really slow.  And preachy.  But if I am in the mood, it is perfectly fine.

Agreed. And 80% of today's set was songs that I really don't need to hear more than once or twice a year. And they play "Imagine" when the ball drops on New Year's Eve, so I'm good until December. ;)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
The last time AL visited 1971 (back in June 2012), she did a block of solo Beatles, but she delved into deeper cuts from the Imagine and Ram albums.  "It Don't Come Easy" was also played -- wish the flip side would get played ("Early 1970").
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »

Agreed. And 80% of today's set was songs that I really don't need to hear more than once or twice a year. And they play "Imagine" when the ball drops on New Year's Eve, so I'm good until December. ;)

So, what would be the anti-"Imagine"? A song that we can generally agree is terrible, but can also agree that it would spice up a 10@10.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

So, what would be the anti-"Imagine"? A song that we can generally agree is terrible, but can also agree that it would spice up a 10@10.

"Rico Suave".  Ha ha ha.   :o
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »

If we ever do 2004, then "Hollaback Girl".

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

If we ever do 2004, then "Hollaback Girl".

I think "Imagine" is genuinely a bad song, not just overplayed. Its lowest common denominator sentimentality is way, way beneath John's often breathtaking originality, and I suppose I resent that it's regarded as his signature song.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
I think "Imagine" is genuinely a bad song, not just overplayed. Its lowest common denominator sentimentality is way, way beneath John's often breathtaking originality, and I suppose I resent that it's regarded as his signature song.

I think maybe the piano/melody makes it seem more sentimental than it is. The utopian lyric (particularly "imagine no religion") was pretty controversial at the time.