Author Topic: 25 Jan 2012: it's... 2001  (Read 12446 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Jan 2012: it's... 2001
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
FYI, 3 of the songs we heard today were in the first 2001 set on 8/1/11: Yorn, Cake, and Byrne.  From the 2nd 2001 visit (11/8/11) only Mr Kravitz's "Dig In"was repeated.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »
I'd love to see the numbers and see if all this generic s**t has really increased ratings, like in Austin. Corporate radio guys probably want to put their b-school degrees to use by preaching about the importance of "brand" identification. Let's hope they're wrong, at least in this market.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
I'd love to see the numbers and see if all this generic s**t has really increased ratings, like in Austin. Corporate radio guys probably want to put their b-school degrees to use by preaching about the importance of "brand" identification. Let's hope they're wrong, at least in this market.

per the recent SF ratings, KFOG's cume is actually down a bit over the last 3 months.

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

Tho' I'm sure their demographics are younger than they were 6 months ago.  (The Bone is down too and Alice is up slightly, FWIW)

It seems (to my ears) that Triple-A, which started out 20 years ago as a more-eclectic, less-hard-edged variant of AOR -- basically album rock for older folks who wanted to feel "hip" by being exposed to non-threatening new music and who didn't want to hear "Stairway to Heaven" endlessly -- has morphed into a rock-leaning version of Hot A/C.  There was a time when Triple-As would have "no-repeat workdays"; now we get the hot hits played every 3-1/2 hours. I realize that the people-meter ratings technology has not been kind to Triple-A, and therefore (theoretically) playing "Rolling in the Deep" 6 times a day is supposed to induce "average" listeners who are jumping around the dial to stay put for 5 minutes. But lawd it's hell on the rest of us.

also worth noting: KGO plummeted from a 4.4 to a 2.8 after their format change.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:03:36 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

day-um! that's huge.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »

per the recent SF ratings, KFOG's cume is actually down a bit over the last 3 months.

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

Tho' I'm sure their demographics are younger than they were 6 months ago.  (The Bone is down too and Alice is up slightly, FWIW)

But the KFOG changeover started happening months before that. (around July, IIRC.)  It had a 3.1 by November; I think that's the first time in years it's been above 3.0, though I could be wrong.

What would be useful is if we could get our hands on the ratings for the 10:00 hours.

Also, the most recent ratings listed are for Holiday 2011.  The stations that went all Christmas got a huge bump up(namely KOIT - 5.9 to 8.2, and to a lesser extent the SJ station KBAY which went 1.7 to 2.2 in the SF market and 6.3 to 7.6 in the SJ market) at the *slight* expense of just about everyone else (except for the Mexican stations) -- Alice, as you mentioned, looking like one of the few exceptions.

It seems (to my ears) that Triple-A, which started out 20 years ago as a more-eclectic, less-hard-edged variant of AOR -- basically album rock for older folks who wanted to feel "hip" by being exposed to non-threatening new music and who didn't want to hear "Stairway to Heaven" endlessly -- has morphed into a rock-leaning version of Hot A/C.  There was a time when Triple-As would have "no-repeat workdays"; now we get the hot hits played every 3-1/2 hours. I realize that the people-meter ratings technology has not been kind to Triple-A, and therefore (theoretically) playing "Rolling in the Deep" 6 times a day is supposed to induce "average" listeners who are jumping around the dial to stay put for 5 minutes. But lawd it's hell on the rest of us.

CHR Pop has become CHR Rhythmic, Hot AC has become CHR/Pop, AC has become Hot AC, Triple A has also become Hot AC, Smooth Jazz has become AC...etc etc.  There even was a time when CHR/Pop had "no repeat workdays."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:51:31 PM by radical347 »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »
01/25/12 - Wednesday! Digging into ...2001!

(Intro: Steve Jobs introduces the iPod)
 1. Lenny Kravitz - Dig In
 2. Afro Celt Sound System w/ Peter Gabriel - When You're Falling
(TV: SNL - Hollywood Report - Jimmy "Gossip" Fallon makes kissy-face w/ Gwenyth Paltrow)
 3. Coldplay - Yellow
 4. The Shins - New Slang
(Move: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Voldemort wants the stone from Harry)
 5. Depeche Mode - Dream On
 6. Pete Yorn - Life on a Chain (B.O.S!)
 7. Incubus - Drive
(News: It's New Year's Eve 2001 across the U.S.)
 8. Pink - Get the Party Started
(Move: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Hagrid brings Harry a cake for his 11th birthday)
 9. Cake - Short Skirt/Long Jacket
(TV: SNL: Drunk Girl   Wha-a-a-t?! )
10. David Byrne - Like Humans Do
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 07:42:21 PM »

day-um! that's huge.
I guess we'll have to wait until the new ratings come in to see if Glenn Beck brings in more listeners to 960-AM
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!