Author Topic: KHUM/CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 10/2/06  (Read 5501 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KHUM/CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 10/2/06
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:31:44 AM »
Motown Monday on KHUM.  Smokey's version of "Abraham, Martin, and John" which I hadn't heard before.  Sweet, if a bit hurried.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »
Even tho' I was drifting in-'n'-out  of consciousness, Judge was pretty spectacular this afternoon -- not sure if I dreamed this but I think he played BOTH Ginos (Soccio and Vannelli), I know I heard "I Just Wanna Stop", which was a highlight of the day, along with a couple Gladys K. gems, "Better Than a Good Time" and "Baby Don't Change Your Mind".

This woman who follows Judge (I don't often get to hear her) is very cool too. She just segued from someone bluesily covering John Hiatt's "Little Head" into Peggy Lee's "Tramp" (from Lady and...).  He's a tramp, all right.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:54:46 AM »
The Lost 45s, a Boston-based show I've been touting for years, has done the Deep Tracks thing and created an Internet-only station (the FM station that hosts the show doesn't simulcast on the Web or allow him to repurpose it for his website).  Host Barry Scott is interested in the songs that time forgot though the charts did not, and I'm a mage fan.

Began the current listening with tenderness and macaroons, followed by a drive to San Jose.

http://www.lost45.com/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:41:07 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The Lost 45s, a Boston-based show I've been touting for years, has done the Deep Tracks thing and created an Internet-only station (the FM station that hosts the show doesn't simulcast on the Web or allow him to repurpose it for his website).  Host Barry Scott is interested in the songs that time forgot though the charts did not, and I'm a mage fan.

Began the current listening with tenderness and macaroons, followed by a drive to San Jose.

I've just heard Sailcat's "Motorcycle Mama" for the first time in my life.  Only in the mid-'70s could this song have happened.  Bleccch.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »

I've just heard Sailcat's "Motorcycle Mama" for the first time in my life.  Only in the mid-'70s could this song have happened.  Bleccch.

Yeah, not exactly good cheeze.

So, this is just nonstop "lost hits"? His actual shows aren't being replayed on the stream?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Yeah, not exactly good cheeze.

So, this is just nonstop "lost hits"? His actual shows aren't being replayed on the stream?

No - his actual shows are the property of Oldies 103.3, WODS (tragically pronounced as W-Odious) and they won't let him rebroadcast (I've had this conversation with him).

So we got Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer" followed by Mary McGregor's "Torn Between Two Lovers."  I'd call it "the ridiculous to the sublime" but sometimes I can't tell which is which.

ETA: Followed by "Walkin' in the Rain With the One I Love"!!!  This station is a total cheezefest, redundant for anyone who owns the entire "Have a Nice Day" box set (Mshray, that would be you, no?), but lovely for a slow workday as I catch up on news and other personal biznits.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »
Been enjoying listening to KCDX for a while today, but the last 5 songs deserve special mention.

3:05 pm - The Fabulous Poodles - Mirror Star
3:10 pm - Elton John - Border Song
3:13 pm - Led Zeppelin - In The Light
3:21 pm - Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling
3:24 pm - Bob Dylan - Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 04:19:57 PM »
Check out the last half hour...

3:38 pm - Jayhawks - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
3:43 pm - Ravyns - Raised On The Radio
3:47 pm - Cat Stevens - Miles from Nowhere
3:50 pm - Ian Gomm - Hold On
3:53 pm - Inmates - (I Though I Heard A) Heartbeat
3:57 pm - James Gang - The Bomber
4:04 pm - The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
4:07 pm - Peter Wolf - Come as You Are
4:10 pm - Al Green - Tired Of Being Alone
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Wow, Mark -- the Fab Poos and (IMHO) Peter Wolf's crowning solo achievement! Almost makes me wish I had been at work today.

Almost.

BTW Gaz, I will def check out the Lost45s site next week at work.  Sounds like WLNG without commercials, newscasts, lost dog reports...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
DDT
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
it's been great.  Melanie's "Candles", Floyd's "Crazy Diamond" and now the Airplane's "Lather"

mmmmmm....

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: DDT
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
it's been great.  Melanie's "Candles", Floyd's "Crazy Diamond" and now the Airplane's "Lather"

mmmmmm....

Heard a lot of KPIG today,  and they played one of George Carlin's old "Wonderful WINO" routines. They also made multiple mentions of the fact that today was the 36th anniv of Janis' death.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
KPIG Comedy
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Heard a lot of KPIG today,  and they played one of George Carlin's old "Wonderful WINO" routines.

I really enjoy their comedy programming.  Much of it is really good stuff I've never heard before.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
KHUM Thursday AM
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 07:27:31 AM »
a nice Zydeco/Reggae version  of Knockin' on Heaven's Door

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
KHUM comedy
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »
they're in the middle of playing side 1 of Firesign Theatre's 2nd album!

ETA:  Now they're playing the Nick Danger side!

"Who's he talking to? And how does he make his voice do that?"