Author Topic: 15 Sept 2009: it's... 1975  (Read 18838 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Sept 2009: it's... 1975
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
9/15/09 - Tuesday!  Time in...1975!!!

1.  Bob Seger - Katmandu
   2.  AWB - Pick Up the Pieces
(News:  Vietnam)
   3.  The Who - Slip Kid
   4.  War - Why Can't We Be Friends
(TV:  Bob Newhart Show)
   5.  James Taylor - How Sweet it is
   6.  Elton John - Someone Saved My Life Tonight
(News - NY is broke)
   7.  Steely Dan - Daddy Don't Live in that NYC No More
   8.  Roxy Music - Both Ends Burning
   9.  Dwight Twilley - I'm On Fire
(Ad:  Ricardo Montalban for Cordoba)
 10.  Foghat - Slow Ride

BONUS TRACK:  Eagles - Lyin' Eyes

...no BOS indicated on the website
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »

8.  Roxy Music - Both Ends Burning

...no BOS indicated on the website

it was Roxy Music, I believe... 

btw, the SF Bay Guardian collected some writings on Roxy Music for one of their "Noise" issues a while back -- not sure if any of you Roxy fans saw it -- but you can read it on http://www.manzanera.com/RoxyArchive/RoxyMusicTour2001/interviews22.htm

excerpt:

.... A staple of Detroit's mid-'70s FM radio, Siren was so popular in the Motor City that one of the most requested songs was one never released as a single, "Both Ends Burning." It's the sexiest of all Roxy tunes ("Who can sleep / In this heat / This night?").

Maybe you have to be immersed in Motown to appreciate "Both Ends Burning" 's danceable, rocksteady lunge and flow, but it made people feel romantic while staying conscious of their randiest impulses. Lust with swirling strings spoke the common language of palpable desire. That's a pop victory. ....

some good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:57:56 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »
it made people feel romantic while staying conscious of their randiest impulses. Lust with swirling strings spoke the common language of palpable desire

In 1991 & 1992, my discussion group classes at UCSB for the History of American Pop Culture agreed by an overwhelming majority, male & female students alike, that this was exactly why you played the Avalon album if you wanted to get laid.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:10:56 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »
I never liked bob seeger... dunno why

I feel the same way about War.

Isn't that the definition of a Guilty Displeasure?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
it made people feel romantic while staying conscious of their randiest impulses. Lust with swirling strings spoke the common language of palpable desire

In 1991 & 1992, my discussion group classes at UCSB for the History of American Pop Culture agreed by an overwhelming majority, male & female students alike, that this was exactly why you played the Avalon album if you wanted to get laid.

This is absolutely true. I've had similar discussions with friends back when we were single, and the consensus was that if you were hanging out with a member of the opposite sex but not sure which way things were going, if you could get Avalon on the turntable (later, CD player), you were in like Flynn. A guy's secret weapon--women are powerless to resist it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:10:46 PM by mshray »
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2009, 05:30:55 AM »
I never liked bob seeger... dunno why

I feel the same way about War.

Isn't that the definition of a Guilty Displeasure?

Hmm. Except I don't feel guilty about it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

In 1991 & 1992, my discussion group classes at UCSB for the History of American Pop Culture agreed by an overwhelming majority, male & female students alike, that this was exactly why you played the Avalon album if you wanated to get laid.

This is absolutely true. I've had similar discussions with friends back when we were single, and the consensus was that if you were hanging out with a member of the opposite sex but not sure which way things were going, if you could get Avalon on the turntable (later, CD player), you were in like Flynn. A guy's secret weapon--women are powerless to resist it.

It's that sexy voice. Again.