Author Topic: 21 July 2006: it's... 1978  (Read 20307 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
21 July 2006: it's... 1978
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
"and that's all he wanted from us, was that stuff".

Funny, most of us have asked for less and gotten zilch.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2006, 10:40:29 AM »
Shoot!  I missed Ronny Montrose.  BSIM.

Pretty fine 78 set, IMO.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: what an album
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2006, 10:41:59 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
I remember seeing Zevon play as the second band (Les Dudek opened, if anyone remembers him) at one of those Mountain Aire festivals up in the sierras that summer--great band--Warren on keys, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, Stanley Sheldon (see Frampton Comes Too Fast) on bass, can't recall who the drummer was. All of them looked incredibly hung over--they went on around noon and it was about 90 degrees out. I can still smell the essence of Hawaiian Tropic in the air from that day...

Did Jackson Browne play that day too?  If so, I was there too.  I think Les was in the Dudek, Finnegan & Krueger Band.  For anyone who saw Boz Scaggs live when Les was in his band, he is hard to forget.  Also don't forget what brought him to fame: played on Ramblin' Man w/Dickey Betts (unless I have it mixed up with another track!)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2006, 10:42:02 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
BOS2 to Walter Egan, Magnet and Steel. Just noticed the toy piano behind the chorus in this song--beautiful!

Seconded.  Was he in some other band?  Seems like he just appeared out of nowhere.

He backed-up/co-wrote with Emmylou, Jackson Browne, Gram Parsons, and other once hit the LA scene, but maybe you're conflating him with Joe Egan, the other half of Stealers Wheel with Gerry Rafferty.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
beautiful analogy!
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2006, 10:44:18 AM »
The KFrOG webcast sound totally sucks.  I can't believe they're still doing 32K.  I get 192K on RadioParadise which sounds fantastic.  KFrOG sounds like everybody is in a cave playing through a phaser.

yeah, that swishy sound!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
BOS2 to Walter Egan, Magnet and Steel. Just noticed the toy piano behind the chorus in this song--beautiful!

Seconded.  Was he in some other band?  Seems like he just appeared out of nowhere.

He backed-up/co-wrote with Emmylou, Jackson Browne, Gram Parsons, and other once hit the LA scene, but maybe you're conflating him with Joe Egan, the other half of Stealers Wheel with Gerry Rafferty.

Ya know, I think you're right.  Stealer's Wheel did come to mind.  I also think of John Stewart's "Gold" in the same mold and timeframe as "Magnet and Steel" (both metal songs?), and we know he had a long history before his pop hit.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I remember seeing Zevon play as the second band (Les Dudek opened, if anyone remembers him) at one of those Mountain Aire festivals up in the sierras that summer--great band--Warren on keys, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, Stanley Sheldon (see Frampton Comes Too Fast) on bass, can't recall who the drummer was. All of them looked incredibly hung over--they went on around noon and it was about 90 degrees out. I can still smell the essence of Hawaiian Tropic in the air from that day...

Did Jackson Browne play that day too?  If so, I was there too.  I think Les was in the Dudek, Finnegan & Krueger Band.  For anyone who saw Boz Scaggs live when Les was in his band, he is hard to forget.  Also don't forget what brought him to fame: played on Ramblin' Man w/Dickey Betts (unless I have it mixed up with another track!)

I actually first heard of him from his solo work that got played a bit on KSHE in St. Louis, such as "Old Judge Jones".  Didn't know he was half so well-connected as this until just now.  This is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about in our discussion of Nick Drake last hour.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »

Ya know, I think you're right.  Stealer's Wheel did come to mind.  I also think of John Stewart's "Gold" in the same mold and timeframe as "Magnet and Steel" (both metal songs?), and we know he had a long history before his pop hit.

Reason I know all that is that up until about a year ago I had convinced myself that Walter Egan was in Stealers Wheel, but when I got a Stealers Wheel hits disc & read the liner notes I began to suspect I'd been wrong all these years.  Subsequent research on AMG confirmed it & re-educated me.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:42 AM »
So are people headed elsewhere for Friday afternoon listening?  It's been so long since I had a day to tune in and hang out with y'all, I don't know what's happening.  CGSS?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2006, 10:50:48 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
So are people headed elsewhere for Friday afternoon listening?  It's been so long since I had a day to tune in and hang out with y'all, I don't know what's happening.  CGSS?

I recommend the KRSH Soul Patrol from Noon to One, that's where I'm headed.  A lot fewer commercials in the hour than CGSS.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »

I recommend the KRSH Soul Patrol from Noon to One, that's where I'm headed.  A lot fewer commercials in the hour than CGSS.

Do they play an entire hour of soul?  I thought it was just 3 songs, but if it's an hour I'll check it out.

CGSS until then, tho'.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:09 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Yep, exactly. JB headlined, Jimmy Buffet was second (with a broken leg), and I can't recall if anyone was between him and Zevon or not. I was living in Sutter Creek at the time so it was almost in my back yard--only about 20 miles away.

Mike Finnegan went on to play with a lot of other folks--Dave Mason, and for some reason Stephen Stills is coming to mind too.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
Bonus: T.Heads, "Artists Only".

SFGuy

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2006, 02:19:06 AM »
"We Are the Champions" sounds *completely* different to me without "We Will Rock You"'s lead-in.

I usually would listen to the 10PM version of 10 at 10 but I forgot to tune it tonight because, coming home from the Giants game, I was listening to details and stuff about the trade. It did look strange to read the set list and not see We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions - Queen as one song.