Author Topic: RIP Allan Melvin  (Read 1841 times)

SFGuy

RIP Allan Melvin
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »
This was never mentioned here but a RIP to actor Allan Melvin who died 11 days ago of cancer.

Melvin is probably best known for his role as Sam the Butcher on the Brady Bunch and the voice actor for Magilla Gorilla. He also appeared on All in the Family as Barney Hefner. Melvin was 85.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Allan Melvin
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »
This was never mentioned here but a RIP to actor Allan Melvin who died 11 days ago of cancer.

Melvin is probably best known for his role as Sam the Butcher on the Brady Bunch and the voice actor for Magilla Gorilla. He also appeared on All in the Family as Barney Hefner. Melvin was 85.

He went back as far as Sgt Bilko , and he was on Gomer Pyle USMC too, iirc.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:44:01 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »

We went back as far as Sgt Bilko , and he was on Gomer Pyle USMC too, iirc.

Yeah, he was all over TV in the 60's. The Andy Griffith Show (i remember one episode vividly where he's and escaped con and Barney keeps bungling the manhunt), The Dick Van Dyke Show as Sol Pomerantz, Rob's army buddy, a couple of Lost in Space eps...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0578510/

RIP.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »

We went back as far as Sgt Bilko , and he was on Gomer Pyle USMC too, iirc.

Yeah, he was all over TV in the 60's. The Andy Griffith Show (i remember one episode vividly where he's and escaped con and Barney keeps bungling the manhunt), The Dick Van Dyke Show as Sol Pomerantz, Rob's army buddy, a couple of Lost in Space eps...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0578510/

RIP.

I remember him most as Al the Plumber in the commercials for Liquid Plumr.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010