Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1421042 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2820 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
And still another BOS the Cat Man's "Sitting", one of the many sledgehammery reminders in this set of what was a rough month in my life.

I can imagine.  That song spoke to me at a time of major change a few years ago.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
VHM JT, a lovely forgotten hit of his -- tho' the Isleys' cover is even better.

VHM EJ -- better Croc Rock than Cock Rock, I always say.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:24:40 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: January 08, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
I found "Why Can't We Live Together" haunting the first time I heard it - and now I'm listening to it while reading about Palin's gun-sites poster targeting the assassinated Congresswoman.  Can't help but shudder.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
I didn't actually mondegreen it this way, but I used to wonder if Elton was actually singing "Suzie wore her dress ass-tight."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: January 08, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
Joe Mama don't dance!  "Ken Loggins with Jim Messina" said the label at the time.

WOS2 Donna Fargo's saccharine "Funny Face".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: January 08, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
There was a show around that time in which Casey did a feature on the fact that "Me & Mrs Jones" quotes "Secret Love" during the intro; I'm wondering if this is that show.

OMFG! This *is* that show.  Nicely done, Casey.  I've always remembered that bit; nice to hear it again after 38 years.

Sonofagun: Carly's number one with her apricot yacht gavotte.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:02:38 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
Our Canadian station announced they're adding Donny Osmond's syndicated show to their daily lineup. Cheaper than a live deejay I guess. Sad.

Casey leads off with a couple of real superstars: Eddie Schwartz and Bertie Higgins! Er... huh?  The Schwartz ("All Our Tomorrows") is NTM and yet another McDoobies clone; Mr Higgins does the rather sweet left-field hit "Key Largo". Here's lookin' at you, kid.

I'm tempted to WOS Loverboy (it's tradition!) but "Workin'/Weekend" is the only rocker in this painfully A/C first hour. Alabama... Kenny Rogers... the Commodores... sheesh.

Hate to dump on a OHW, but WOS Sneaker's "More Than Just the Two of Us".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:33:06 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
The A/C-ness remains overwhelming in Hour 2 with the forgotten and forgettable Stevie Woods (who?).  WOS "Steal the Night."

I do kinda like the Sneaker tune, though.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 09, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
I notice that Rick Springfield's "Love Is Alright Tonight" is an Alison.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »

Gets a BOS from me -- a pleasing forgotten rocker of his.

Love the story proving (as if proof were necessary) that Freddie M was a queen among queens. But "Under Pressure" is one for the never-need-to-hear-it-again list, as is -- AAAAAACK!! -- "Don't Stop Believin' "  VHM Kool & the Gang.

WOS2 Journey; WOS3 Air Supply. VHM Miss Ross' game remake of "Why Do Fools...", which seemed an odd choice to some at the time.

WOS4 "Hooked on Classics" -- clap-track claptrap.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:39:24 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #2830 on: January 09, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »

Gets a BOS from me -- a pleasing forgotten rocker of his.

Love the story proving (as if proof were necessary) that Freddie M was a queen among queens. But "Under Pressure" is one for the never-need-to-hear-it-again list, as is -- AAAAAACK!! -- "Don't Stop Believin' "  VHM Kool & the Gang.

WOS2 Journey; WOS3 Air Supply. VHM Miss Ross' game remake of "Why Do Fools...", which seemed an odd choice to some at the time.

I hate Journey. It was so irritating when the Giants bought him to the playoffs and he lip-synced to this awful song and another awful song, Lights. The fans loved it, though.

SFGuy

« Reply #2831 on: January 09, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »

The one that was played on Casey's show (I was going to say Casey played it but I know the songs are added post-production) was the long version. I liked it back then but now...yeesh!

And, Mike, I'm guessing you missed the 4th hour again. I guess you really don't care too much for 80s music like I don't care too much for 70s music.

Also, for you Mike and the majority here (70s music fans), next week is 1/18/1975.   http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-18-75.pdf

80s is 1/18/1986 for the 2 or 3 of us who like 80s music  ;)   http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/01-18-86.pdf
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:56:45 PM by SFGuy »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »

The one that was played on Casey's show (I was going to say Casey played it but I know the songs are added post-production) was the long version. I liked it back then but now...yeesh!

And, Mike, I'm guessing you missed the 4th hour again. I guess you really don't care too much for 80s music like I don't care too much for 70s music.

Oh I love the '80s shows, I'm just out the door between 1 and 1:15 on Sundays, so I rarely  hear the last hour.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 15, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
"My eyes adored you
But my nose abhorred you"

Frankie V gives Kenny Nolan some resids.

VHM Jim Stafford, "Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne" -- "a woman that would get a bulldog drunk/would HAVE to be good to me"

sez Casey: "next up, the highest-debuting record of the week... by a king who's a queen" er... WHAT??  (Oh, it's Carole. I was expecting Elton)

proxy of Gaz, "Katz in the Cradle With a Dreidel"

BOS1 BJ, who's laid all kindsa girls.

Well, I'll be a coo-oo-ool jerk! This is one of those charts with all 4 Beatles in the Top 40. BOS2 George's "Dark Horse". And I never noticed how similar the opening of Cat Steven's "Ready" is to the Harrison tune. VHM the Cat Man.

aba-wa-kawa-pouss-VHM.

and another VHM Barbara Mason, one of the last real "answer records" to make the Top 40. You just gives him money, bitch -- ah gives him sweet sweet LOVIN'!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:49:15 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
Hour 2 begins with Tony O & Dawn, "Look In My Eyes Pretty Woman" -- BOS3 to an underrated single of theirs, the last hit they had on Bell before jumping to Elektra.

Billy Preston recycles his synth noodlings on "Struttin' " and -- TANC of the Month! -- Skynyrd show up with "Freebird". Play it pretty for Big Rick!

Most Obscure Obscurity of the Week: Paul Davis' very John Denver-ish "Ride 'Em Cowboy"

VHMs to the Mses Reddy 'n' Ronstadt.

ran some errands and thankfully missed Disc-O-Texx. My chiffon is dry, thank you.  WOS Grand Funk: some kinda awful.

BOS4 Carol Douglas' "Doctors Orders", as perfect a blend of Brill Building sensibility with disco danceability as ever there was.

I don't wanna WOS Ringo, but "Only You" is one of his weakest. Seriously, whose idea was this?

VHM Ms Gaynor, giving Clifton Davis some dancefloor love.

WOS2 Donny & Marie, whose "Morning Side of the Mountain" makes Paul Anka & Odia Coates' "One Man Woman" sound like Ike & Tina by comparison. VHM whoever's playing gee-tar on the AnkaCoates.

Just in the nick o' time: uber-BOS5 Macca on "Junior's Farm". Still his best 45 evah, IMHO.

Actually, Stevie, I prefer to reggae-on with a boogie woman, rather than the other way around.

I'll never forget Don Imus playing "Laughter in the Rain" and saying "Neil... you sound like a GIRL!"

And they play Joni's live version of "Big Yellow Taxi" as an extra -- gotta be one of the most frustrating chart oddities ever; the original studio take peaked at #67.

Karen and Richard dee-livvah dee lettah (dee soonah dee bettah).

Barry turns Brandy into Mandy -- but he was probably thinking about Andy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:59:05 PM by RGMike »