Author Topic: The Food Thread  (Read 58608 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
Hartlaub examines the Sloppy Joe:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?entry_id=81449

best reader comment: "I thought a manwich was something entirely different, although maybe just as messy"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
per sfGate, Mollie Stones will be taking over the vacated Delano's Market in the castro and the new Brit-owned Fresh'N'Easy chain may be moving into the Delanos on South Van Ness in the Mission. I was hoping for a Trader Joe's there but I'll settle for anything at this point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
Forget about that Charles Chocolates in the Westfield Center -- or anywhere else:

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2011/03/07/charles-chocolates-owner-chuck-siegel-explains-the-sudden-end/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
of special interest to urth: Chesse makers under attack!

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2011/03/clean_cheese_ginger_ale_and_th.php#

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
of special interest to urth: Chesse makers under attack!

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2011/03/clean_cheese_ginger_ale_and_th.php#

I haven't posted anything about this here, but yes, this is a big concern to all artisan cheesemakers. Two small creameries in Washington and one in California have been shut down in the last 6 months (as well as several in other parts of the country) for having cheese that tested positive for either listeria or a strain of e coli. The FDA seems to be bent on making raw milk cheese their next cause celebre, even though it's more of a cleanliness issue than one of milk-borne pathogens. Still, we've put any plans to make a raw cheese on hold (we're currently doing only fresh pasteurized chevre anyway), with the hopes that this will be resolved, or at least that the feds will find another issue to chase. Both these pathogens are serious, but with regular testing and stringent sanitation practices, they should never have become the issue that they currently are.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
Damn!  AG Ferrari, Baghdad Cafe and Fuzio all closing?

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2011/04/no_more_hooking_up_at_baghdad.php#

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

I may have stopped at AG Ferrari once or twice, but Badfood Cafe hasn't been decent for a long time -- not that have been a regular patron of that place in a while, but I used to live closeby and went there quite a bit.     Back in the early 90s it was cool, it used to have cute tchotchkes, like thriftstore salt and pepper shakers, and it was always crowded at night when the bars dumped their patrons out.  Last time I went there, I forget when, but it was kinda a sad, overpriced  shell of its former self.   

Fuzio, went there once, decided it was not a good value.  Of course, the only 'good value' I remember on that section of market was the old Swedish smorgasborg place, which disappeared in probably 94.  and I think Fuzio moved into that place, didn't it?

When was the last time you were at any of these places and what did you think of them?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »

I may have stopped at AG Ferrari once or twice, but Badfood Cafe hasn't been decent for a long time -- not that have been a regular patron of that place in a while, but I used to live closeby and went there quite a bit.     Back in the early 90s it was cool, it used to have cute tchotchkes, like thriftstore salt and pepper shakers, and it was always crowded at night when the bars dumped their patrons out.  Last time I went there, I forget when, but it was kinda a sad, overpriced  shell of its former self.   

Fuzio, went there once, decided it was not a good value.  Of course, the only 'good value' I remember on that section of market was the old Swedish smorgasborg place, which disappeared in probably 94.  and I think Fuzio moved into that place, didn't it?

When was the last time you were at any of these places and what did you think of them?

Baghdad -- probably not since the '90s.

Ferrari -- I used to like browsing there and not buying.

But Fuzio -- I have always been a huge fan; one of the few places that serves their pasta al dente rather than overcooked. I eat there whenever I see a flick at the Castro (and often at the one in Embarcadero). It's a fave when I feel like going meatless, as their angel hair with fresh tomatoes is always good and the Sukiyaki Noodles (sadly no longer on the menu) was a fave of mine. Love the teeny tiny baby crabcakes appetizer. And their industrial-strength Tiramsu cake is maybe my favorite dessert in SF. Apparently they're doing repairs, so I hope that means they're re-opening at some point; they're always crowded so i can't imagine that the closure is permanent. There was a time when opening a decent restaurant in the Castro was a license to print money.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

I used to make a point of stopping by the Bagdad for their key lime pie.  Never had an actual meal there.  But I echo Mike on Fuzio: I loved the place, totally in agreement on the noodles, and the variety was such that I didn't need to know what I was in the mood for before arriving.  And I thought the prices were quite reasonable.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

I used to make a point of stopping by the Bagdad for their key lime pie.  Never had an actual meal there.  But I echo Mike on Fuzio: I loved the place, totally in agreement on the noodles, and the variety was such that I didn't need to know what I was in the mood for before arriving.  And I thought the prices were quite reasonable.

And apparently the Castro location really is closed -- it was confirmed on one of the food blogs that they didn't renew the lease. That place was a goldmine at one time; their only location left is the Embarcadero one.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:47:49 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »

And apparently the Castro location really is closed -- it was confirmed on one of the food blogs that they didn't renew the lease. That place was a goldmine at one time; their only location left is the Embarcadero one.

It's weird how a formerly thriving chain can fall from favor, or totally change the area they focus on. The one I think of that used to be all over the place in SF is Pasta Pomodoro (fair-to-middling, not particularly adventurous food; Fuzio was better, imo). I just looked at their website and they have two places left in SF: Noe Valley and Laurel Village. But in the 'burbs (east bay, north bay, san jose/sunnyvale) they're all over the place, and have a number of SoCal locations as well. Guess they figured that was more their demographic.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
It's weird how a formerly thriving chain can fall from favor, or totally change the area they focus on. The one I think of that used to be all over the place in SF is Pasta Pomodoro (fair-to-middling, not particularly adventurous food; Fuzio was better, imo). I just looked at their website and they have two places left in SF: Noe Valley and Laurel Village. But in the 'burbs (east bay, north bay, san jose/sunnyvale) they're all over the place, and have a number of SoCal locations as well. Guess they figured that was more their demographic.

Apparently there are 3 Fuzios left: 2 in SF and one in Reno; they were once in 8 or 9 states, including a location in Wash DC.

Meanwhile, after being in disarray for what seems forever, Metreon now says its new improved food court (a dozen choices, they claim) will open in November:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2011/04/metreon_remodel_shrinks_isolat.php#

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »

Apparently there are 3 Fuzios left: 2 in SF and one in Reno; they were once in 8 or 9 states, including a location in Wash DC.

Meanwhile, after being in disarray for what seems forever, Metreon now says its new improved food court (a dozen choices, they claim) will open in November:

inside scoop posted a blueprint of the new plans back in Jan:

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/paololucchesi/files/2011/01/floorplan.jpg

La Boulangerie so close is dangerous~!

I love their bread pudding.  I love their everything, really.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

Oh man.  I love their everything too!  Macarons, chocolate croissants, sandwiches...you name it. 

I work near the former Virgin Megastore space.  Rumors were flying about Trader Joe's or Best Buy taking over.  Alas, it's going to be yet another Forever 21 clothing store.  (Why???)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »

Oh man.  I love their everything too!  Macarons, chocolate croissants, sandwiches...you name it. 

I work near the former Virgin Megastore space.  Rumors were flying about Trader Joe's or Best Buy taking over.  Alas, it's going to be yet another Forever 21 clothing store.  (Why???)

I give occasional tours of Coit Tower's murals (tours are offered every Saturday at 11 am, they're free, part of the City Guides tours: http://sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=13) and there's a mural in the stairwell called Power Street.   (The stairwell is normally closed to the public, so the tour is really the only way to see the murals there and up on the first level...  it's worth it.)

Every time we get there, I'll point out the B of A building and say it's now a Forever 21 store.  People either go Ha! or Tsk-Tsk.  well, at least the building still stands...

~CPL593H~