Author Topic: 13 June 2008: Hits From Hell!!  (Read 15892 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 13 June 2008: Hits From Hell!!
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
A great hellish set. BOS Disco Duck! Never heard Telephone and it was odd. Minnie = good, Loving You = Bad.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
A great hellish set. BOS Disco Duck! Never heard Telephone and it was odd. Minnie = good, Loving You = Bad.

"Telephone man" was a big fave at my college radio station -- we were a bunch of Top 40 geeks. It only got to #18 on the charts, making it the least "hit" of the HFHs today (not counting non-hit Shatner).

Bonus: "Kung Fu Fighting" , revived by Kung Fu Panda.  Here comes the big boss!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »

"Telephone man" was a big fave at my college radio station -- we were a bunch of Top 40 geeks. It only got to #18 on the charts, making it the least "hit" of the HFHs today (not counting non-hit Shatner).

This was a really great set for originality.  Meri Wilson, Minnie Ripperton & Billy Ray 'Montana' were all artist bustouts.  The Shatner tune was a bustout also, but not Bill himself, we got "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" back in '02. 

Actually in the previous 6 HFH sets in the Db*, only one tune is hellish enough to have appeared more than twice.  Any guesses?

*in fact there are 7, but one was specifically a Christmas HFH.  Those 6 sets include 2 HFH VT's & 1 'When Good Artists Go Bad'.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 11:30:58 AM »

This was a really great set for originality.  Meri Wilson, Minnie Ripperton & Billy Ray 'Montana' were all artist bustouts.  The Shatner tune was a bustout also, but not Bill himself, we got "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" back in '02. 

Actually in the previous 6 HFH sets in the Db*, only one tune is hellish enough to have appeared more than twice.  Any guesses?

*in fact there are 7, but one was specifically a Christmas HFH.  Those 6 sets include 2 HFH VT's & 1 'When Good Artists Go Bad'.

without looking, my hunch is "Afternoon Delight" -- if not that, then possibly Mr Dees.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »

without looking, my hunch is "Afternoon Delight" -- if not that, then possibly Mr Dees.
I was gonna say Debbie Boone, but SLVB sound like it too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »
06/13/2008 - FRIDAY the 13th...which means....HITS FROM HELL!!

1.  William Shatner - It Was a Very Good Year   
2.  Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun   
3.  Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart   
4.  Rick Dees - Disco Duck (Part 1)   
5.  Starship - We Built This City   
6.  Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life   
7.  David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us Baby   
8.  Meri Wilson - Telephone Man   
9.  Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight   
10.  Minnie Riperton - Lovin' You   

BONUS TRACK:  Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting

SFGuy

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
as always I protest "We Built This City"'s inclusion -- one of the most unfairly maligned songs, like, ever.

I think it's among the 5 worst songs of all time.

SFGuy

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
worst of the worst -- Debbie Boone. It isn't even well-produced.

Wasn't this song supposed to be retired from HFH?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
email I sent:

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus - 1986
John Denver - Thank God I'm A Country Boy - 1975
Lorne Greene - Ringo - 1964
Melanie - Brand New Key - 1971

These are not hits from hell, imho.  Well, maybe Lorne Greene and Ringo, but one does not mess with Ben Cartwright.

ETA:  OK, definitely Ringo.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7ILiXurQg  However, it will come in handy next time one of you puts together a treasure hunt -- how many songs have the word 'varmit' in the lyrics?

Of those four, only "Ringo" hasn't already been in a HFH set, so I included them.  I don't even think the John Denver is a Turkey, and that's certainly the worst Melanie & Falco are imho.

From what I understand, Dave played "Ringo" early this morning (a buddy who works early told me).  The english AND french versions (Lorne was Canadian).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
From what I understand, Dave played "Ringo" early this morning (a buddy who works early told me).  The english AND french versions (Lorne was Canadian).

OMG! Sorry I missed that (esp the French)!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »
I'll guess "Seasons in the Sun"

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
BOS Disco Duck. Didn't Dees perform this on AMB? I'm off to YouTube.

eta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5d01_riBo
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:19:29 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
Speaking of Minnie Ripperton, please read the remembrance in today's "In Memoriam" section of this forum.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2008, 10:36:06 AM »

Sorry, you all have the wrong doggone guesses!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

Sorry, you all have the wrong doggone guesses!
Ah!  TGIM.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”