Author Topic: 10 March 2006: & the wheel spins to ???? ('72)  (Read 14812 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: the storm
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Alicat"
cool, major hail storm right now. Lots visible on ground.
Went to a movie tonite in West Portal, and as the film started there was a hail/sleet/thunderstorm going on outside.  Afterward, there was slush on the roof of my Jeep -- and in SF proper that happens, like, once a decade.

I'll bet it was pretty loud out your way.  Out here at the beach, really large fluffy hail poured down, and the street was white for a few minutes, tracks of the car tires up and down the street.  I spent some time looking out our back window (eastward, towards West Portal) and saw some intense lightning bolts.  I even saw a huge horizontal bolt.  Pretty rare for these parts.

I was likely watching the same lightning display at about 7pm, looking west from my Inner Sunset window--we turned off all the lights and just watched. Yeah, there were some amazing lightning bolts--a couple of them hit trees or utility poles up the hill in Golden Gate Heights. Quite breathtaking, and pretty damn loud when they hit nearby. We never lost power, but we drove thru that area a couple hours later and there were still blocks that were dark. The hailstorm was pretty fun, but I was glad to be home and not out in it.

Every time we have a lightning storm here (which is pretty rare), I remember one that I spent more than two hours watching in North Carolina about 8 years ago. It just went on and on and on--literally hundreds of lightning strikes all around us. Again, we turned off the lights, opened the curtains in our hotel room and just took it all in. Mother Nature can be one powerful old broad when she wants to be.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2006, 10:03:28 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Went to a movie tonite in West Portal, and as the film started there was a hail/sleet/thunderstorm going on outside.  Afterward, there was slush on the roof of my Jeep -- and in SF proper that happens, like, once a decade.

I'll bet it was pretty loud out your way.  Out here at the beach, really large fluffy hail poured down, and the street was white for a few minutes, tracks of the car tires up and down the street.  I spent some time looking out our back window (eastward, towards West Portal) and saw some intense lightning bolts.  I even saw a huge horizontal bolt.  Pretty rare for these parts.

I was likely watching the same lightning display at about 7pm, looking west from my Inner Sunset window--we turned off all the lights and just watched. Yeah, there were some amazing lightning bolts--a couple of them hit trees or utility poles up the hill in Golden Gate Heights. Quite breathtaking, and pretty damn loud when they hit nearby. We never lost power, but we drove thru that area a couple hours later and there were still blocks that were dark. The hailstorm was pretty fun, but I was glad to be home and not out in it.

Every time we have a lightning storm here (which is pretty rare), I remember one that I spent more than two hours watching in North Carolina about 8 years ago. It just went on and on and on--literally hundreds of lightning strikes all around us. Again, we turned off the lights, opened the curtains in our hotel room and just took it all in. Mother Nature can be one powerful old broad when she wants to be.

Just a repositioning post, really.  Hope I don't get struck by lightning on the golf course tomorrow morning.  7:15 tee time, Tilden Park...  brrrrrr.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "urth"

Just a repositioning post, really.  Hope I don't get struck by lightning on the golf course tomorrow morning.  7:15 tee time, Tilden Park...  brrrrrr.

Pretty funny about these 'repositioning posts!'  So, easy Rod, that hilly course must be pretty wet and slippery with all this rain!  And yes, it will be cold.  I imagine you might get some delays if the greens are frozen too!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!