Author Topic: 17 Jan 2014: it's... 1970  (Read 11698 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 17 Jan 2014: it's... 1970
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
No on-air credit to Pugh today, but clearly he or Rosalie had input -- no way Renee did that on her own.  But kudos to whoever was responsible.

Just finished listening to the set.  Kudos, indeed, to those responsible for putting it together!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:38:47 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »
I always think of this cover art for this period of Quicksilver:

http://musicofourheart.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/front.jpg
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »
This is the creepiest Clapton tune ever.

It certainly is, by today's standards.  I'm trying to view it in the context of the times.  The Women's
Lib movement was just starting.  I think it's a sincere, if clumsy, attempt to be sensitive and
understanding.  It's a little off though, and if it kept going in the same direction it would veer into
parody.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
Bobby Bloom,  a onetime Moreytrina (will we get the Rodgers & Hammerstein coda?)

ETA: nope!

Actually, three spins by DM and two by RR.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »
I suppose this set had four songs which aren't exactly rare, but are welcome, whereas the rest of the set was stellar.

Waiting for dischead's comment on how the bar is set high for 1970 in 3, 2, 1....

My guess is that this one won't disappoint too much.

I'm having a hard time picking a single BOS.  I think I'm going with the TOTHK.  Great kickoff to a great set.

Oh dear.  Have I become so predictable?

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of musical excellence is no vice! And let me
remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of great tunes is no virtue!

Yes, I grade on a curve, so to speak.  But with a year like 1970, a blind, arthritic, dart-throwing
monkey could pick a good set.  So to get a top grade, the show would have to be fantastic.

Let's review the score.  Only Chicago and George Harrison come close to being FFs, and each fall
just short of ten plays.  There are four bust-outs:  Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, The Dead, and
Simon & Garfunkel.  The spins of each of the remaining songs can be counted with the fingers of
one hand.  I'll also note that clip montages from previous hosts were used.

So it's a show with a very low LNQ.  And yes, Candyman was a wonderful surprise.  And
that Simon & Garfunkel song... it can take me places that I would need to write a great novel
to describe.  But there's more to an excellent 10@10 than bust-outs, and it's where you start
getting into aesthetics and the vagaries of taste.  Although there were some inspired choices
today, for me the set as a whole didn't gel.  I found it a little disjointed.  I'm willing to admit that
probably reflects more my personal reaction than to the content of the show.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 17 Jan 2014: it's... ??
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:01 PM »
IIRC, Renee was bitching about not being able to use the terms "Super Bowl", "49ers" or "Seahawks" because of some legal thing by the NFL -- I was paying close enough attention to the chatter beyond that.

She was going to watch some marathon on some other channel when the game is on.
Well, the Super Bowl thing is true -- it's a trademarked  phrase -- but of *course* you're allowed to say the names of teams. Jeebus.

One must be careful of how the phrase is used, and in particular it can't be used to leverage
the visibility of the NFL's trademark for gain without the NFL's permission.  Of course, they don't
care if I tell my friends that I'm having a Superbowl party, but if a business decides to hold a
Superbowl Party, then they're benefitting from recognition of NFL's trademark.  Of course, a
media outlet like KFOG is more visible than Joe's Pizzeria in Podunk, so they have to be more
careful.

One of the many reasons I have come to detest the Olympics is because they are rabid about
this kind of brand protection, demanding that explicit laws be passed by the host city.  In London,
businesses couldn't even use "2012" in their advertising, let alone hint at anything with five rings.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
VHM Tower Records commercial.

Renee mentioned that commercial also got BOS votes and rated a VHM.

1970, and I was on the cusp of switching from 45s to LPs.  The store of choice:  Korvette's.  They
had what I remember as a large record department.  I tried to wait for the good sales:  three LPs
for $10!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
I always think of this cover art for this period of Quicksilver:

http://musicofourheart.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/front.jpg

That is very groovy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
VHM Tower Records commercial.

Renee mentioned that commercial also got BOS votes and rated a VHM.

1970, and I was on the cusp of switching from 45s to LPs.  The store of choice:  Korvette's.  They
had what I remember as a large record department.  I tried to wait for the good sales:  three LPs
for $10!

Yes! I was a cassette guy at that time and Korvettes always had the best sales. Already name-checked several times in my writing. (My characters don't have a lot of money)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round