Author Topic: 6 Dec 2013: it's... Concert 4 Kidz  (Read 16317 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Dec 2013: it's... Concert 4 Kidz
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
Death Cab For Cutie "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"

I don't dig this. Sounds kind of like a suicide pact to me, though I imagine that's not what he meant.

Agreed. I've always found this song WAY creepy. And I think *he* thiks it's romantic.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
So realistically, as far as KFOG goes, Nelson Mandela could not have died at a worse possible time:  The Thursday before CFK, but after that day's 10@10 was set and apparently after that day's KFOG Connected was set as well. 

And then it's the weekend, so unless Renee can do a dedicated set 4 days late - and explain the delay - nothing really special for Nelson Mandela is going to happen.

Google, btw, is going all out, but which you might not haven noticed at first glance.  Instead of a google-doodle, they've simply listed a memorium below the search bar (WHICH THEY NEVER DO, NOT EVER) and it links to a huge pile of Mandela stuff which seems to be very well done.

Mind you I am not dissing the well established & meaningful charity that CFK has become.  But I might have found a way to do 5 songs for each if I were PM.  There is precedent for that.

Yeah, I can't argue that Mandela's passing would be worthy of some sort of recognition. But they've rarely done the quick turnaround "breaking news" memorial sets in the past, particularly in Dave's tenure. (I seem to recall him saying "10@10 isn't about death." That said, I do recall AL doing a set for Alex Chilton when he died.) But mostly they'd recognize a notable passing by including a song or two in a year-based set within a week or so afterward.

Btw, good to see you drop in, Mark. Been wondering how things were going in your world. Hope your enterprise is going well by now.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
So realistically, as far as KFOG goes, Nelson Mandela could not have died at a worse possible time:  The Thursday before CFK, but after that day's 10@10 was set and apparently after that day's KFOG Connected was set as well. 

And then it's the weekend, so unless Renee can do a dedicated set 4 days late - and explain the delay - nothing really special for Nelson Mandela is going to happen.

Google, btw, is going all out, but which you might not haven noticed at first glance.  Instead of a google-doodle, they've simply listed a memorium below the search bar (WHICH THEY NEVER DO, NOT EVER) and it links to a huge pile of Mandela stuff which seems to be very well done.

Mind you I am not dissing the well established & meaningful charity that CFK has become.  But I might have found a way to do 5 songs for each if I were PM.  There is precedent for that.

Yeah, I can't argue that Mandela's passing would be worthy of some sort of recognition. But they've rarely done the quick turnaround "breaking news" memorial sets in the past, particularly in Dave's tenure. (I seem to recall him saying "10@10 isn't about death." That said, I do recall AL doing a set for Alex Chilton when he died.) But mostly they'd recognize a notable passing by including a song or two in a year-based set within a week or so afterward.

Indeed, AL made a habit of including songs by the recently departed in regular sets. I'm gonna predict a 1984 set early next week that will include Special AKA's "Nelson Mandela"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

Btw, good to see you drop in, Mark. Been wondering how things were going in your world. Hope your enterprise is going well by now.

There was also a tribute to Dick Clark. And I seem to recall a George Harrison set. The difference here is that Chilton, Clark and Harrison were all significant in the music world. RGM is most likely correct - "Nelson Mandela" ought to appear sometime next week.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »
I asked Dave to do a Bo Diddley the day after his passing, and he agreed (not that I was the only one who thought of it).

He played U2 "Desire", Springsteen "She's The One" and others, have to look it up when I get a chance. 
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Maybe the next set will be 1989 and she'll play "Mandela Day" by Simple Minds off of Street Fighting Years.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
Currently listening to the replay - this could be any sample hour of KFOG regular programming. Music is pleasant enough (although I never need to hear David Gray again), but this is in competition with the Outside Lands effort for most useless 10@10 of the year.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Has Renee done a "vertical" format set before? Not many if she has.

Yes, I think this is the first for her.  It's not a format that produces that many noteworthy sets, IMO.
I was never moved to record any of Dave's "vertical tastings" or Annalisa's "chartbusters."
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
I asked Dave to do a Bo Diddley the day after his passing, and he agreed (not that I was the only one who thought of it).

He played U2 "Desire", Springsteen "She's The One" and others, have to look it up when I get a chance.

I remember that program well.  One of the more educational 10@10 sets.  I hadn't realized how
influential he was and how many songs "borrowed" the Bo Diddley beat.

06/06/2008 - FRIDAY! Today it's... "The Beat" (Bo Diddley)!!

1. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
2. Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy
3. Rolling Stones - Not Fade Away
4. David Bowie - Panic in Detroit (BEST OF SET!!)
5. Eric Clapton - Willie & the Hand Jive
6. George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Who Do You Love
7. Bruce Springsteen - She's the One
8. George Michael - Faith
9. Pretenders - Cuban Slide
10.U2 - Desire

BONUS TRACK:  Beck - Black Tamborine

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »
Currently listening to the replay - this could be any sample hour of KFOG regular programming. Music is pleasant enough (although I never need to hear David Gray again), but this is in competition with the Outside Lands effort for most useless 10@10 of the year.

You've articulated my reaction precisely.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
2013-12-06 - Friday! It's a look back at the past 10 years of Concert for Kids today on 10@10.
 1. Barenaked Ladies- Pinch Me (2003)
 2. Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days (2004)
 3. KT Tunstall - I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover) (2005)
 4. Feist - I Feel It All (2006)
 5. David Gray - The One I Love (2007)
 6. The Pretenders - My Baby (2008) (BOS)
 7. Brandi Carlile - Dreams (2009)
 8. The Doobie Brothers - Listen To The Music (2010)
 9. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark (2011)
10. Matt Nathanson - Come On Get Higher (2012)
Tuned to a natural E