Author Topic: 14 Nov 2013: it's... 1969!  (Read 15553 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Nov 2013: it's... 1969!
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
"Guess you could say she was a sac to be milked"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
The Beatles "Sun King"/"Mean Mr. Mustard"/"Polythene Pam"/"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"

Abbey Road was mostly a McCartney production, was it not? Much of this medley does not sound too McCartney-esque, though, especially Polythene Pam.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
The Beatles "Sun King"/"Mean Mr. Mustard"/"Polythene Pam"/"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"

Abbey Road was mostly a McCartney production, was it not? Much of this medley does not sound too McCartney-esque, though, especially Polythene Pam.

Yes, but "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" were half-finished Lennon compositions.
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

Yes, but "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" were half-finished Lennon compositions.

not to mention "Come Together" and "I want You" being pretty John-centric.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »

Thought we were talking about the medley side.  :)

If not, don't forget the beautiful "Because".
Tuned to a natural E

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »

Thanks for the knowledge, gents. I Want You is what I remember as being the big John moment. Plus, Something and Here Comes the Sun are George's biggest Beatles moments, are they not?
Slipping into something

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »

My understanding is that Abbey Road was the last Beatles album that they all four worked together and collaborated on, although they still came with their own songs as usual...
Now I'm eight bits...

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »

My understanding is that Abbey Road was the last Beatles album that they all four worked together and collaborated on, although they still came with their own songs as usual...

Dang, it is a fairly varied album. It just goes out with a McCartney bang with Golden Slumbers, et alia.
Slipping into something

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
Renee: BOS The Fab Four
Tuned to a natural E

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
Apollo 11 launch into Thunderclap Newman "Something In The Air"
:-[
I had to turn off the radio at this point.  Being observed by vice principal.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
OK, I've been nice so far: LN John Mayall, an FF since the Morey days.
BOS -- definitely a FF for me...

While it might be LN, a song with only three appearances in 10@10 sets and none since 2010
doesn't qualify as a FF.  And while LN has a strong negative connotation, I find the FF designation
be more neutral.  And is a katrina one of these two, or something different?  Maybe we need a
little more rigor for these terms, or better proto-examples.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

While it might be LN, a song with only three appearances in 10@10 sets and none since 2010
doesn't qualify as a FF.  And while LN has a strong negative connotation, I find the FF designation
be more neutral.  And is a katrina one of these two, or something different?  Maybe we need a

Katrina was the original term, when this board first began 14+ years ago, and it meant a song that was played too often on 10@10 by Dave in the year-of-the-spin -- named after Katrina & the Waves, obviously.  LN is of more recent vintage, and connotes a song one is sick of generally from overall radio exposure, esp if it's a KFOG airplay staple.  So (for example) if you don't listen to Oldies 103.5/K-FOX/The Bone/98.1 Kiss all that much, my LN may not be your LN.  An FF is similar, and I think it was first used on the Annalisa and G'snipes FB pages because most folks there wouldn't know what a Katrina was.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

Katrina was the original term, when this board first began 14+ years ago, and it meant a song that was played too often on 10@10 by Dave in the year-of-the-spin -- named after Katrina & the Waves, obviously.  LN is of more recent vintage, and connotes a song one is sick of generally from overall radio exposure, esp if it's a KFOG airplay staple.  So (for example) if you don't listen to Oldies 103.5/K-FOX/The Bone/98.1 Kiss all that much, my LN may not be your LN.  An FF is similar, and I think it was first used on the Annalisa and G'snipes FB pages because most folks there wouldn't know what a Katrina was.

Yep, Dave played "Walking On Sunshine" three times in a fairly short period in 2001 (can you imagine the Gsnipe reaction if Renee were to do something like that?)

I would define FF as something I'm used to hearing on 10@10 without it quite reaching Katrina status.

Whereas an LN would be something that one can regularly hear on corporate radio. Recent examples include Green Day's "Time Of Your Life" and any 10@10 which plays "Lola". Qualifiers for LN vary widely by poster.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:47 PM »
Apollo 11 launch into Thunderclap Newman "Something In The Air"
I've always liked this one, though I've probably heard brief clips from '60's compilation album commercials a lot more than I've heard the whole song. It seems to have found its way onto a LOT of those compilations.
Yeah me too, one of those songs that captures the times...

Indeed it did, and does...  I have their Hollywood Dream album, and the rest of it is fairly middling,
musically speaking.  Something In the Air is the one standout piece.  Apparently Pete
Townshend was involved and played bass on the record.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »
Yep, Dave played "Walking On Sunshine" three times in a fairly short period in 2001 (can you imagine the Gsnipe reaction if Renee were to do something like that?)

Dave seemed to play some songs every other time their year came up, and then drop them
when he thought the audience was tired of them.

I would define FF as something I'm used to hearing on 10@10 without it quite reaching Katrina status.

Whereas an LN would be something that one can regularly hear on corporate radio. Recent examples include Green Day's "Time Of Your Life" and any 10@10 which plays "Lola". Qualifiers for LN vary widely by poster.

I like the idea of having a distinction between, say, LN -- "something that one can regularly hear
on corporate radio," and a FF which is measured within the context of KFOG's 10@10.