Author Topic: 30 July 2013: it's... 1972  (Read 9330 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 30 July 2013: it's... 1972
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
was Big Star a regional thing?  I don't get it.

OMG you just blew my mind  -- they are considered one of the most-influential power-pop bands evah.

by who?
and, were they regional?

Google them, Geoff.

they were sort of "rediscovered" in the nineties, I think.  Their first two records were reissued on one disc.  A guy I worked with brought it in and said "you should listen to this."  That was 98 or 99.
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
"Starman": nice, but a bit LN.

BOS4 the Feats.

Agreed.  Someday she might play "Star", and under-represented track from Ziggy, imo.

Also, as much as I like "30 Days in the Hole", it's not the only song Humble Pie ever recorded.  Lot's of great tracks on Smokin', including "Hot 'n' Nasty", "You're So Good for Me", "C'mon Everybody", and "(I'm a) Roadrunner".
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

OMG you just blew my mind  -- they are considered one of the most-influential power-pop bands evah.

by who?
and, were they regional?

Google them, Geoff.

they were sort of "rediscovered" in the nineties, I think.  Their first two records were reissued on one disc.  A guy I worked with brought it in and said "you should listen to this."  That was 98 or 99.

They must have been barely regional.  It seems as if it was a major fuckup with the record label, and they got almost no distribution.  They probably had some fans live at the time.  Maybe someday I'll hear something that sounds good; today's cut was meh to the max.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »

by who?
and, were they regional?

Google them, Geoff.

They must have been barely regional.  It seems as if it was a major fuckup with the record label, and they got almost no distribution.  They probably had some fans live at the time.  Maybe someday I'll hear something that sounds good; today's cut was meh to the max.

you should see the new documentary, which has been discussed here and on g-snipes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFAGUbJPXOI
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 1972     (AUDIO COMING SOON)

1. 30 Days in the Hole - Humble Pie
2. Johnny's Garden - Steve Stills
3. Back Stabbers - O'Jays
4. I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
5. In the Street - Big Star
6. Chug All Night - The Eagles
7. One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band
8. Immigration Man - Crosby and Nash
9. Starman - Bowie
10. Easy to Slip - Little Feat
Tuned to a natural E

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »
The Allman Brothers Band "One Way Out"
Yes, this was burning up the radio when it was released in 1972; Eat a Peach is one of the all-time best albums.  But it's also kind of ironic, as it's a live track from the Fillmore East sessions in 1971.  Basically an outtake from the '71 Fillmore East live album.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
TV theme medley into Big Star "In The Street"

I had no idea this wasn't the theme written for That '70s Show.

I can hear the power pop influences in Big Star, but I don't know which way they go.  I never
heard of them until  AL started playing them on 10@10 (apparently Dave didn't).  So I share some
of ggould's confusion regarding the extent of their popularity.  I can't recall ever hearing them on
the radio out of NYC at the time.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
That was an abrupt end...

Quadraphonic sound into David Bowie "Starman"

That was Chase's "Open Up Wide" from their 1971 debut album in the Quadraphonic commerical.

I also note that although the Quadraphonic system had limited success, today the 5.1 surround
sound five-speaker system is now commonly used in home theater setups.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
TV theme medley into Big Star "In The Street"

I had no idea this wasn't the theme written for That '70s Show.

I can hear the power pop influences in Big Star, but I don't know which way they go.  I never
heard of them until  AL started playing them on 10@10 (apparently Dave didn't).  So I share some
of ggould's confusion regarding the extent of their popularity.  I can't recall ever hearing them on
the radio out of NYC at the time.

indeed, they were criminally ignored on NY radio -- astounding, really, considering that WNEW-FM jocks like Fornatale and Elsas were power-pop geeks who creamed their jeans over the Raspberries that year.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »

by who?
and, were they regional?

Google them, Geoff.

They are probably second to the Velvet Underground as a '60's-'70's band not commercially successfully during its existence but later canonized as proto-punk geniuses by '80's and '90's college/indie rockers. As such, Big Star has more fans among people in their 30's and 40's who also like bands such as The Replacements, Pavement, and early REM than among their contemporaries -- the band members are or would be (3 of 4 original members are dead) in their early 60's.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
They are probably second to the Velvet Underground as a '60's-'70's band not commercially successfully during its existence but later canonized as proto-punk geniuses by '80's and '90's college/indie rockers. As such, Big Star has more fans among people in their 30's and 40's who also like bands such as The Replacements, Pavement, and early REM than among their contemporaries -- the band members are or would be (3 of 4 original members are dead) in their early 60's.
Well, they used to play Velvet Underground a lot on the radio around here at least.