Author Topic: 20 June 2013: it's.... 1980  (Read 10240 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 20 June 2013: it's.... 1980
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »
I'm in the minority, probably. but I've always hated "People Who Died". So WOS.  But overall, a perfectly fine set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
I'm in the minority, probably. but I've always hated "People Who Died". So WOS.  But overall, a perfectly fine set.
It's pretty awful, but unusual. Would be better if it didn't repeat two verses. Nothing wrong with this song being 1:50.

ETA: Three verses...
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
It's pretty awful, but unusual. Would be better if it didn't repeat two verses. Nothing wrong with this song being 1:50.

ETA: Three verses...

My thought too -- we don't need to hear the litany of the dead a second time; we got it the first time around.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
I'm fascinated by how animated RR has become. Was working for DC really that depressing? (I'd've thought, since he made her Music Director and gave her the midday gig that she'd thought he was pretty swell.)  Is the new guy holding a gun to her head and saying "Sound HAPPY, dammit!" ?

oh that "cash call.. ch-ching" commercial is godawful.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
Renee says The Pretenders get BOS (she wanted Dire Straits to win).
Tuned to a natural E

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
The Jim Carroll Band "People Who Died"

This was on Hits 106's playlist ~1995.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
I'm fascinated by how animated RR has become. Was working for DC really that depressing? (I'd've thought, since he made her Music Director and gave her the midday gig that she'd thought he was pretty swell.)  Is the new guy holding a gun to her head and saying "Sound HAPPY, dammit!" ?

Probably the latter.  I have a feeling DC pretty much let her get away with whatever.  Although I have to admit that 10@10s have improved even if they are very Moreyesque.  Also the years have started to skew way older.  I remember when sets were rarely allowed to go before 1985...now look at this week.  Nothing after 1985.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

Probably the latter. 

well, Tim & Greg seem a lot more jovial and talkative too. But RR's jolliness doesn't seem forced to me.

Also, this week's big "add" on New Releases is that John Mayer "Paper Doll" song.  A far cry from Capital Cities and Linkin Park.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
Thursday -- 1980

1. Donnie Iris - Ah! Leah!
2. Elvis Costello - Girls Talk
(Movie: Airplane!)
3. The English Beat - Tears Of A Clown
4. The Kings - The Beat Goes on / Switching To Glide
(Commercial - Pretenders/Tower Records)
5. Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
6. The Rolling Stones - She's So Cold
(News: Pesident Carter rescue mission in Iran)
7. XTC - Generals and Majors
8. Bruce Springsteen - Cadillac Ranch
9. Dire Straits - Skateaway
10. Jim Carroll - People Who Died

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

Probably the latter.  I have a feeling DC pretty much let her get away with whatever.  Although I have to admit that 10@10s have improved even if they are very Moreyesque.  Also the years have started to skew way older.  I remember when sets were rarely allowed to go before 1985...now look at this week.  Nothing after 1985.

Agreed on all counts. They really are backpedalling big-time, back to the pre-DC days. I wonder if they would bring back AL and the Webster/Renee/Irish Greg morning show if they could?

Oh, and several of you are FB friends with Mr. Constantine, are you not? Has he given any hints as to his next move? I kind of feel for the guy, just buying a new house and getting the boot a month or two later.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:39:45 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »

Probably the latter.  I have a feeling DC pretty much let her get away with whatever.

Funny, isn't this the opposite of what LCR had been screaming at us?

Also, the years have started to skew way older.  I remember when sets were rarely allowed to go before 1985...now look at this week.  Nothing after 1985.

Very much true. We're almost to the point where a journey to 1998 sounds desirable (ducks).

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

Probably the latter.

I disagree.  I think she has more control now, has more ownership, and so feels more enthusiatic about her own work.  But that's my impression.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »
Rolling Stones "She's So Cold"
This song has always struck me as a throw-away, which I also felt about "Start Me Up". I could never account for the success of either of 'em.

I agree about She's So Cold -- the whole Emotional Rescue album, really.  Start Me Up I liked at the time with its big guitar riff, but it hasn't worn well.  There are several far better cuts on Tattoo You.

I much prefer "She' So Cold", which really worked for me at the time, to "Start Me Up", which was only okay for me at any time, and is now and instant station changer. 

"I'm a bleedin' vol-caaay-no!"
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
Oh, and several of you are FB friends with Mr. Constantine, are you not? Has he given any hints as to his next move? I kind of feel for the guy, just buying a new house and getting the boot a month or two later.

Haven't noticed any hints, but he's really been updating his page a lot more than before, with daily "Top 10 of ____" lists, pictures, and soundclouds.  My guess is he's trying to get himself noticed and/or make himself look presentable to radio execs that are viewing his FB.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »
Renee says The Pretenders get BOS (she wanted Dire Straits to win).
I strangely agreed with Renee this time!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!