Author Topic: 14 June 2013: Father's Day 10@10 after all  (Read 17820 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 14 June 2013: Father's Day 10@10 after all
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »

Bobby Goldsboro "Watching Scotty Grow"

ha! speaking of sap -- a song I absolutely hated when I was 15 and now think is quite sweet.

Keeping with the sappiness, I had one more song in mind:

Clint Holmes "Playground In My Mind"

but I'm not sure it fits the Father's Day theme (or does it)?  ;D
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

Bobby Goldsboro "Watching Scotty Grow"

ha! speaking of sap -- a song I absolutely hated when I was 15 and now think is quite sweet.

Keeping with the sappiness, I had one more song in mind:

Clint Holmes "Playground In My Mind"

but I'm not sure it fits the Father's Day theme (or does it)?  ;D

My name is Michael. I've got a nickel that says... tenuous at best.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
2013-06-14 - FRIDAY!! Happy Father's Day!
 1. Eric Clapton - My Father's Eyes
 2. Cat Stevens - Father And Son
 3. Bruce Springsteen - My Hometown
 4. Buffalo Springfield - I Am A Child
 5. Marc Cohn - Silver Thunderbird
(TV: The Cosby Show)
 6. John Hiatt - Your Dad Did
 7. John Lennon - Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
 8. Adrian Belew - Oh Daddy (BOS)
 9. John Mayer - Daughters
10. Loudon Wainwright III - Daughter
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 14 June 2013: It's not your Father's 10@10
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
While the Fathers Day theme set that AL did back in 2011 didn't do much for me, it is clear that the vast majority of Fogheads, including members of this club and GSers, were very enthusiastic about it. Why RR and company don't take advantage of such low-hanging fruit will forever be a mystery.
the phone calls from actual Fogheads talking abouit their dads, plus a bunch of songs/artists not normally heard on KFOG (Sinatra, etc) really made that one special IMHO.  RR doesn't need to be nearly that elaborate, but I'm guessing they think that Rosalie will have Father's Day covered on Sunday.

UPDATE: Tim just said it *is* a Father's Day set today!

Given the obvious lack of effort we've seen in the current 10@10 era, it seems unlikely that
a tribute set with Foghead comments would be done.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
John Mayer "Daughters"

BOS from me.  A sweet and lovely song.  I find the sentiment to be sincere, and not at all
creepy.

BOS also for "I Am A Child," VHM for "Silver Thunderbird."

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »
WOS this creepy John Mayer song.
Boyfriends be good to your girlfriends -- start with the man in the mirror, JM.

I suspect that if we listened only to the music of those without any moral failings, or who had
no vices of which we disapproved, it would be a very quiet world indeed.

I am generally not a "fan" of musicians, in the sense that I don't care a bit about what they
eat for breakfast or which brand of toothpaste they use.  Such things don't interest me.
Someone would have to be quite a heinous monster before I would refuse to listen to their
music for that reason, as opposed to simply not liking it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
No appropriate songs for Father's Day spring to mind, but how about a quote?

"For one brief moment I saw all the bolts silhouetted against the lights of the traffic...
and then they were gone!  'Ohhh... fudge.'  Only I didn't say 'fudge' -- I said the word.
Now I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man.  My father worked
in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay.  It was his true medium -- a master."
-- Jean Shepherd, "A Christmas Story"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

I suspect that if we listened only to the music of those without any moral failings, or who had

I am generally not a "fan" of musicians, in the sense that I don't care a bit about what they
eat for breakfast or which brand of toothpaste they use.  Such things don't interest me.
Someone would have to be quite a heinous monster before I would refuse to listen to their
I remember taking (not finishing!) a course on literary criticism at UC back in 71-72 (whenever "American Pie" was on the radio.)  It's always a question of how to interpret art.  Does it matter what the artist meant?  Does it matter what the social implications are? Do we use knowledge of the artist to judge the art?  Ultimately, to what extent does (or can) the art stand by itself?

These are not the only guidelines, nor do I believe the issues are settled, but yes, I do think we react to music with more than a musical point-of-view.  Not a newsflash, just felt like saying that.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »

I remember taking (not finishing!) a course on literary criticism at UC back in 71-72 (whenever "American Pie" was on the radio.)  It's always a question of how to interpret art.  Does it matter what the artist meant?  Does it matter what the social implications are? Do we use knowledge of the artist to judge the art?  Ultimately, to what extent does (or can) the art stand by itself?

These are not the only guidelines, nor do I believe the issues are settled, but yes, I do think we react to music with more than a musical point-of-view.  Not a newsflash, just felt like saying that.

Apparently a certain amount of ink has been spent detailing that Mr. Mayer has, at times, been
something of a jerk towards the women he has dated.  Despite not having seen any of it, even
that simple fact has penetrated my cloak of indifference.  I strongly suspect that, regardless of
whether the coverage has been equivalent, some of these women occasionally have been
bitches towards Mr. Mayer.  I think most of us have been there at one time or another.  What
I have trouble imagining is what it would be like to have to learn my lessons in life with an
audience of literally tens of millions of people, complete with photographers and self-appointed
scribes.  That doesn't necessarily excuse his behavior, however I am willing to grant considerably
more leeway, particularly since the Greek chorus has a vested interest in there being something
attention-grabbing to sing about.  Uneventful lives make for dull copy and don't sell as many
magazines.

I think it is possible for artists to transmit a lesson even if they don't exemplify it, understand it,
or even intend it.  I believe that art is primarily about its impact on those who experience it --
does it touch them or move them, and if so, how?  In particular, I tend to take music at face
value, judging it on how it makes me feel or what it makes me think about when I listen to it.
Maybe that's what the artist intended, or maybe not.  A lot of times when I read about the
creation of a song and what the musician was attempting to accomplish (if anything), I find it
strikingly different from what I got out of their work.  Learning about their process is often
interesting, but it rarely adds to my appreciation.