Author Topic: 10 April 2013: it's... 1985  (Read 11412 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 10 April 2013: it's... 1985
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
Has Sun City gotten much 10@10 airplay? I was half-expecting it out of the South Africa clip. It received quite a bit of publicity and MTV airtime in its day.

Not in the DM era encompassed by the Shraytabase. Did AL ever play it? I was regrettably not able to tune in as regularly during her tenure.
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
Renee sez Bryan Ferry gets BOS, VHM to Thompson Twins and John Fogerty.
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
041013 - Wednesday 1985

1. The Cure - Close to Me
2. Bryan Ferry - Don't Stop To Dance
3. Level 42 - Something About You
(Commercial - The great new taste of Coca-Cola. Not!)
4. The Eurythmics - Would I Lie To You?
5. John Fogerty - Centerfield
(News: Reagan)
6. John Cougar Mellencamp - R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.
7. Sting - Russians
8. Thompson Twins - Lay Your Hands On Me
(News: South Africa)
9. INXS - Kiss The Dirt
10. Hooters - And We Danced
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:30:51 PM by RGMike »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
041013 - Wednesday 1985

7. Sting - Russians
9. INXS - Kiss The Dirt

What, no Live Aid reference? Did I miss it?  That was the very first thing I ever used a credit card for -- a donation to Live Aid.  I even got a t-shirt for donating $25.  (....Wonder where that shirt went...)

I liked it, esp the first three and last three.  BOS to Bryan Ferry!!  and VHM to Thompson Twins.   

I was just not in the mood for Sting and his Russians, though. I skipped through that on the soundcloud file.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
041013 - Wednesday 1985

7. Sting - Russians
9. INXS - Kiss The Dirt

What, no Live Aid reference? Did I miss it?  That was the very first thing I ever used a credit card for -- a donation to Live Aid.  I even got a t-shirt for donating $25.  (....Wonder where that shirt went...)

I liked it, esp the first three and last three.  BOS to Bryan Ferry!!  and VHM to Thompson Twins.   

I was just not in the mood for Sting and his Russians, though. I skipped through that on the soundcloud file.

I'm starting to think that may be a more efficient use of my listening time, that way I can skip the BS if it is something I really don't care to hear for the umpteenth time. Sort of the audio equivalent of a DVR.

Y'know, we're all pissing and moaning about how crappy the sets have gotten, but we still listen. I wonder: if we all found something else to listen to, if DC et al would notice. Or would they feel like the won the war?
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Has Sun City gotten much 10@10 airplay? I was half-expecting it out of the South Africa clip. It received quite a bit of publicity and MTV airtime in its day.

it's never made an appearance here (Rob has played it on the Peak, iirc) and it was on my wish list in the AL request days but she never got to it.

They ain't gonna play "Sun City."
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
DC favorite year.

instant uber-LN: the Cure.

Sure seems like it - 5th visit in the RR/DC era

Regardless of who's been the host, it seems that after 1985 there's been a substantial dropoff in terms of quality.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
BOS Level 42, tho' (surprise!) "Something About You" charted in '86.

(yet) another case of where this is just flat out wrong (not you Mike, rather the idea of playing a song in its year of release, somewhere, as opposed to the year most people associate the tune with).

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »
Y'know, we're all pissing and moaning about how crappy the sets have gotten, but we still listen. I wonder: if we all found something else to listen to, if DC et al would notice.

No. Well, not if only members of this club stopped listening. I think Renee would royally have to fuck up for something to happen, and by that I mean something beyond playing a 1977 song in 1987. As much as we rag on her, she's no Twitch.

And, as weird as it may seem, it does appear that some suggestions, however slowly, do get implemented (she finally got the message that the teaser could be something about the price of gas).  I do really wish she'd open up to suggestions - if she did that, I do think 10@10/GS appreciation of her would increase tremendously.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
I skipped through that on the soundcloud file.

I'm starting to think that may be a more efficient use of my listening time, that way I can skip the BS if it is something I really don't care to hear for the umpteenth time. Sort of the audio equivalent of a DVR.

Y'know, we're all pissing and moaning about how crappy the sets have gotten, but we still listen. I wonder: if we all found something else to listen to, if DC et al would notice. Or would they feel like the won the war?

often I'm in transit when he real set is playing, so I can't listen in real time anyway.  If that's the case, I will wait an hour or so before checking http://soundcloud.com/kfog to see if they posted their set.  Often it takes longer than that, today I think it was up around 2 PM. 

In the meantime, I try to avoid looking here or on facebook to see what the songs were.  Despite the often predictable nature of the current KFOG 10at10s, I still want to be "surprised."  I don't mind knowing the year, though, especially since a year like 1985 might also mean 1884 or 1986.  You just never know!  It's a zany wacky grab bag!   (For the record, I can never off the top of my head know if a song is in the wrong year.  My knowledge of music is not that fine, so if it's close enough, I'm good.)

yeah, sigh.. we still do listen... One reason I listen is the community that is built around it, whether here or on FB.  It definitely makes ir more fun that if I were listening alone, like back in the olden times... I may spend less time here discussing the songs and making snarky remarks, but I still do check in and at least see what's going on with everyone else.
~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
Not in the DM era encompassed by the Shraytabase. Did AL ever play it? I was regrettably not able to tune in as regularly during her tenure.

I'm not familiar with the song, but it's not in my files, so I would say no.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »
BOS Level 42, tho' (surprise!) "Something About You" charted in '86.

Boy does this song just scream "'80s teen movie soundtrack" to me... probably during the
uplifting montage footage where the former rivals bond/team comes together during practice/couple
from opposite sides of the tracks discover their mutual attraction.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
[insert generic comment here about a set from an above average year that had the potential
to be pretty good but instead was just average because of too many overplayed "hits"]

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:13 AM »
[insert generic comment here about a set from an above average year that had the potential
to be pretty good but instead was just average because of too many overplayed "hits"]

LOL, I'm almost thinking it's time to do a generic RR-era thread.