Author Topic: 12 Oct 2012: it's... 1966!  (Read 16184 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Oct 2012: it's... 1966!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
uber-LN3 Donovan.

*thbbbbbbt*

sorry, it's one of the most-overplayed oldies ever. I love it, but that doesn't change it's LN-ness.

Ditto the 4 Tops tune.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
uber-BOS4 The fabulous, underrated Troggs -- extra points for not being "Wild Thing"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »
On the other side of the overplayed coin is this b-b-bah-bah-bah song. I have no clue who this is.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
BOS Troggs. My dad used to sing this all the time, albeit with his own effed up lyrics.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
LN5 "Good Vibrations".

again, all the LNs today are great records, but DC clearly wants to err on the side of consultant-approved "hits".

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:05 AM »
uber-BOS4 The fabulous, underrated Troggs -- extra points for not being "Wild Thing"

Agreed!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Good Vibrations is so aurally dynamic, it can't be overplayed in my book (anticipating the RGMike über-LN as I write this).
Slipping into something

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Good Vibrations is so aurally dynamic, it can't be overplayed in my book (anticipating the RGMike über-LN as I write this).

see above.

"that... was a lotta fun" says Renee in her incredibly bored voice.

Still, WAAAAAY better than last week's '68 set. A fairly AL-like balance between the LNs and the nuggets. B+ overall.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

I was thinking something similar -- like, she's really trying to sound exciting, but just not pulling it off. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »

I was thinking something similar -- like, she's really trying to sound exciting, but just not pulling it off.

and I suspect one reason is she's not putting this show together, picking the songs herself... it's being assembled for her. It was easy for DM or AL to be engaging and upbeat -- it was like, "lookit all this cool stuff I found in my record cellar!"  This is not yer father's 10@10, unfortunately.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »

and I suspect one reason is she's not putting this show together, picking the songs herself... it's being assembled for her. It was easy for DM or AL to be engaging and upbeat -- it was like, "lookit all this cool stuff I found in my record cellar!"  This is not yer father's 10@10, unfortunately.

holee crap, I bet you're right.  At the Sunday KFOG 30th anniversary -- the one where AL said bye bye -- DC said 10at10 would be a group effort and he named Renee, Greg Gory, and himself as participants.

Fast forward a few days and we are hearing on the air only Renee's name mentioned in re 10at10.  THEN, when the new shows start in earnest, we hear things bout Icky helping out w production. 

I think they are picking songs by group effort, which means DC's expertise reigns supreme over GG's and Renee's. We do know he knows music -- it's just that many people don't *like* the music he wants the station to air.  I don't have much confidence in Renee's or GG's taste or, I should say, breadth of knowledge.  I think they both will end up picking obvious stuff and I think we've been hearing the results of that.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
1. The Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown
2. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels - CC Rider/Jenny Take a Ride
(News: Three terms black people should learn, including Black Power)
3. Otis Redding - Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song)
4. The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
(TV: The Monkees)
5. The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
6. Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women 12 & 35
(News: acid testing and tasting)
7. Donovan - Sunshine Superman
8. The Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There
9. The Troggs - With A Girl Like You
(Commercial - The Beach Boys thanks KFOG and all groovy radio stations out there)
10. The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »

holee crap, I bet you're right.  At the Sunday KFOG 30th anniversary -- the one where AL said bye bye -- DC said 10at10 would be a group effort and he named Renee, Greg Gory, and himself as participants.

Fast forward a few days and we are hearing on the air only Renee's name mentioned in re 10at10.  THEN, when the new shows start in earnest, we hear things bout Icky helping out w production. 

I think they are picking songs by group effort, which means DC's expertise reigns supreme over GG's and Renee's. We do know he knows music -- it's just that many people don't *like* the music he wants the station to air.  I don't have much confidence in Renee's or GG's taste or, I should say, breadth of knowledge.  I think they both will end up picking obvious stuff and I think we've been hearing the results of that.

So I wonder who is responsible for picking the more obscure tracks, like today's Otis and Troggs tunes? Could it be DC himself?
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
So I wonder who is responsible for picking the more obscure tracks, like today's Otis and Troggs tunes? Could it be DC himself?

Gotta be.
Slipping into something