Author Topic: 31 Jan 2012: it's... 1997  (Read 10967 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2012: it's... 1997
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
"this is what you get" when Fogheads make requests...

is that what this Radiohead song is called?   not a bad request then...

Karma Police.  I disagree with it not being a bad request  :-X

I was late to the Radiohead party, and generally whenever I hear them I like them.  This might be an obvious (or bad) choice to a more knowledgeable fan, but to me it was like a breath of fresh air, esp w that Edwin McCain song molesting my ears. 

So what RH song would you have preferred?  I'm curious b/c you seem to have both a breadth of knowledge about them and other stuff during this time (whereas I have large gaps in my 90s appreciation) as well as good taste in general.

Can I take the easy way out and say 'none'?  :o  J/k.  Actually I've just never been able to get into them, though I've tried many times.  (agreed that it wasn't worse than the Edwin McCain song, though.)  Some of their newer stuff I don't mind, perhaps because it's less screechy (i.e. Jigsaw Falling into Place, Lotus Flower), but from that era I think the most tolerable one to my ears is "Fake Plastic Trees."

heh,  'none' works. :) 

I like that sentence "I've tried many times." 

I'm envisioning you setting up a serious music listening session, possibly with a mentor who does like the band carefully playing select songs to ease you into the RH mode.  And at some point you shake your head and say 'Nope, it's just not taking.. I'm really sorry."

And the RH mentor is crestfallen, but resigned, b/c fate cannot be changed.

we've all been there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:21:11 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

I was late to the Radiohead party, and generally whenever I hear them I like them.  This might be an obvious (or bad) choice to a more knowledgeable fan, but to me it was like a breath of fresh air, esp w that Edwin McCain song molesting my ears. 

So what RH song would you have preferred?  I'm curious b/c you seem to have both a breadth of knowledge about them and other stuff during this time (whereas I have large gaps in my 90s appreciation) as well as good taste in general.

I often think of Radiohead in the same vein as Arcade Fire… critical favorites without a lot of obvious hit singles, for whom I’ve made gradual steps in appreciating.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
And let me pile on some more about “I’ll Be”… you combine the sound of a Darius Rucker-wannabe suffering from constipation with downright insipid lyrics and the fact that the song just would not freaking die on the charts, and you have my nominee for worst hit of the 1990’s. I might even go as far as saying this is my least 10@10 entry ever.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »

I think OK Computer is the best rock album made since the Golden Age of Rock. I would put every song except for Electioneering and Fitter, Happier (which is an interesting experiment) above Karma Police, by far the most-played song from the album. All other songs are phenomenal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Computer#Track_listing
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

I often think of Radiohead in the same vein as Arcade Fire… critical favorites without a lot of obvious hit singles, for whom I’ve made gradual steps in appreciating.

Arcade Fire's Funeral is probably in the top ten albums since the Golden Age (if I'm being too rock snob with those two bands, remember my moniker is taken from a Poison song and I voted Swingtown BOS last week).
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »

I think OK Computer is the best rock album made since the Golden Age of Rock. I would put every song except for Electioneering and Fitter, Happier (which is an interesting experiment) above Karma Police, by far the most-played song from the album. All other songs are phenomenal.

Radiohead covering Oasis (pretty funny, if snarky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N5G6-UiCns&feature=related
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »

Radiohead covering Oasis (pretty funny, if snarky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N5G6-UiCns&feature=related

There is a crazy cast of characters covering Wonderwall on the related videos link (I'm going to stop quoting myself now).
Slipping into something

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
And let me pile on some more about “I’ll Be”… you combine the sound of a Darius Rucker-wannabe suffering from constipation with downright insipid lyrics and the fact that the song just would not freaking die on the charts, and you have my nominee for worst hit of the 1990’s. I might even go as far as saying this is my least 10@10 entry ever.

What made things even worse is that it looked like it was about to sputter out around the mid-20s, but instead, it hangs around in the 20s for a few more months.  And then it suddenly jumps up into the Top Ten. 

@ 45 weeks, it's the third longest charting song ever on the CHR/Pop chart.  A no-name such as Edwin McCain with a song that should have died, but didn't, does not deserve that. 

Annalisa KFOG still has yet to play the #1 longest charting song of all time, a song that lasted an entire year, a song that I request every single time we hit 1994/95 to no avail.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
Annalisa KFOG still has yet to play the #1 longest charting song of all time, a song that lasted an entire year, a song that I request every single time we hit 1994/95 to no avail.

Here comes the hot stepper, murderer
I'm the lyrical gangster, murderer
Slipping into something

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »

The other 94/95 song.  (Ini Kamoze only lasted 18 weeks!  :'( )

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

Another night, another dream, but always you,
It's like a vision of love that seems to be true
Slipping into something

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »

Another night, another dream, but always you,
It's like a vision of love that seems to be true

Ding ding ding  ;D

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
01/31/12 - Tuesday! Semi-Charmed Times in...1997!!

1. Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life
(TV: Seinfeld - Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller) attempts to control his blood pressure - "Serenity now!")
 2. Wilco - Outtasite (Outta Mind) (B.O.S!)
(Movie: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Oh, be-hayve! Yeah, baby!")
 3. Blur - Song 2
(Movie: Austin Powers: IMoM - Austin (Mike Myers) fills out a form: "Name? Austin "Danger" Powers...Sex? Yes, please!")
 4. Semisonic - F.N.T. (Fascinating New Thing)
(News: Mass suicide - The Heaven's Gate cult members)
 5. Loreena McKennitt - The Mummers' Dance
 6. Radiohead - Karma Police
(Movie: As Good as It Gets - Melvin (Jack Nicholson) to Carol (Helen Hunt) - "You make me want to be a better man")
 7. Edwin McCain - I'll Be (W.O.L.N!)
(Movie: Austin Powers: IMoM - Vanessa (Elizabeth Hurley) is having nothing to do with Austin)
 8. Portishead - All Mine
 9. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
(Movie: Austin Powers: IMoM - Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) and son Scott (Seth Green) try group therapy)
10. Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell

& while we're at it, the Radical rantings, 1997 style:

Good:
A: Sneaker Pimps, Loreena McKennitt, Semisonic
B: Wilco, Portishead, 3EB, Blur
C: n/a
D: n/a
F: Squirrel Nut Zippers, Radiohead, Edwin McCain
^^^hmm...interesting spread.

Necessary:
A: n/a  :'(
B: Wilco, Loreena McKennitt (they're B's because it's one grade off for one appearance each.  Though if there weren't so many F-for-necessary's this time then I might have been nice enough to give these A's)
C: Semisonic (quickly becoming an AL 10@10 fave.  But we can still be forever thankful it's not "Closing Time"), Portishead (see previous, except unlike the previous one, this song is not better than the single)
D: n/a
F: Radiohead, SNZ, Sneaker Pimps, Edwin McCain (an uWB if I ever heard one; next time it gets the minus), Blur (F-), 3EB (F-)
^^^less interesting (& more annoying ) spread
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:15:20 AM by radical347 »