Author Topic: 12 Jan 2012: It's... 1986  (Read 11405 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Jan 2012: It's... 1986
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »

I'm reading the book about SNL called "Live From New York"
  I learned that Billy Crystal was scheduled to be on that first show ever, but Lorne Michaels needed to cut some time, and told Billy he could do shortened version of his act.  Billy's managers told him to walk and not do the show.  oops.

Billy Crystal: One of two people to host SNL, and later be a cast member. Who was the other?

I haven't picked up on that from the book yet, but I'll guess Michael McKean.

Correct. McKean might have the title of most ignored cast member ever.

If you like the show, the book is a great read.   But I also wonder about the editing.  For instance, I recently read The Chris Farley Show, and in that book Bob Odenkirk says Live From New York quoted him all wrong when it came to Farley.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

I learned that Billy Crystal was scheduled to be on that first show ever, but Lorne Michaels needed to cut some time, and told Billy he could do shortened version of his act.  Billy's managers told him to walk and not do the show.  oops.

Billy Crystal: One of two people to host SNL, and later be a cast member. Who was the other?

If you like the show, the book is a great read.   But I also wonder about the editing.  For instance, I recently read The Chris Farley Show, and in that book Bob Odenkirk says Live From New York quoted him all wrong when it came to Farley.

I loved this book so much that I gifted it to several friends of mine who were interested in breaking into the business. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:05:16 PM by sundaygal »

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Walk Like a Katrina. (yeah, obvious, but so is most of this set)

The FB chatter was just as boring as the set.  In fact, the only good lines were you pointing out how repetitive the selections were.

I also whined on Annalisa's page after the show about her not getting to my request though she said she would after the previous '86 visit. I'm a big boy, so I should know that her "We'll have to get to that one next time" is the equivalent of an old friend's "We'll have to get together soon;" it's just something that people say to fill up space.  Still, though, it was annoying.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
Walk Like a Katrina. (yeah, obvious, but so is most of this set)

The FB chatter was just as boring as the set.  In fact, the only good lines were you pointing out how repetitive the selections were.

I also whined on Annalisa's page after the show about her not getting to my request though she said she would after the previous '86 visit. I'm a big boy, so I should know that her "We'll have to get to that one next time" is the equivalent of an old friend's "We'll have to get together soon;" it's just something that people say to fill up space.  Still, though, it was annoying.

Indeed, I've been promised Tinita Tikaram on the "next" 1989 set (which should be next week, probably). We'll see how that works out.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »

I actually do have the book and home (and have read it). Generally ok, although like pretty much every other piece of media related to that show, they've glossed over the non-Lorne Michaels era (1980-1985). Just saw those episodes streaming on Netflix, and they weren't half as bad as I'd expected.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »
Ain't nothing going on but the rent in '86.  I have some crappy mandatory meeting regarding social media (!), so I won't be able to post on FB, etc, etc. 

We are in dire need of a haaaayy moment, so I've requested "Nasty" and "Get Fresh for the Weekend".  Nevah say nevah!   ;)

a "social media" meeting prevents you from using Social Media! paging Alanis -- THIS is ironic, honey.

OMG, I was biting my tongue when they were discussing "netiquitte" in forums! 

1/12/12 - Thursday! Hitting the West End in...1986!

1. Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
 2. Robert Palmer - I Didn't Mean to Turn You On
(Movie: Pretty In Pink)
 3. Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
(Movie: Sid & Nancy-meet for the 1st time:says Johnny, "Boring, Sidney")
 4. The Smiths - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (B.O.S!)
(Movie: Sid & Nancy)
 5. The Call - I Still Believe (Great Design)
 6. R.E.M - Cuyahoga
(News: Ted Koppel/ Ferdinand Marcos - on Imelda: "3,000 pairs of shoes?!")
 7. Paul Simon - Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes
 8. Love and Rockets - All In Your Mind
(Movie: Aliens)
 9. The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian
(Ad: Casio stereo keyboard/drum machine)
10. Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

P.S. This set could've used a deeper Queen is Dead cut and/or Janet Miss Jackson, if you're nasty.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:23:19 PM by sundaygal »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
A lot of repeats...but they were the right repeats.  I could never get sick of the PSBs, P. Furs, Call, or Falco songs.  The Smiths sounded in place.  Good Love and Rockets song which was NTM.  Even REM wasn't bad.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
Even REM wasn't bad.
:o
Slightly better than the "Thong Song"?  ;)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
Even REM wasn't bad.
:o
Slightly better than the "Thong Song"?  ;)

LOL no. But close. ;)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Slipping into something
And out of something else