Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263945 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
meeting?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2006, 03:47:40 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
So as my visit's in less than two weeks, I wanted to check in and see if there's a night when we can all get together for a drink, maybe a bite to eat, maybe a show.  Urth noted that Supergrass plays the GAMH on Thursday 2/23 and Robyn Hitchcock is joined by the Minus 5 at Slim's on Monday the 2/27.  I'll be occupied from Friday noonish through Sunday night (my other best friend, Victor, was close to Brandon as well and will be flying in for the weekend) so anything would have to be a weeknight.  Let's tawk.
given the above, I'd suggest an after-work margaritas-at-Chevy's (or wherever) thang; a music listening/swapping gathering at somebody's home would end up being a long evening, if experience is any teacher. And most of us can't do that on a "school nite".  maybe Wednesday?
Yeah, Wednesday is probably the only night I could do it given the above as well. It should probably be someplace that's BART- and/or parking-accessible for the East bay/peninsula contingent. Chevy's is fine (Embarcadero Ctr. or 3rd & Howard), or any place we can get food with our bevvies. (I get cranky if I don't get fed--it's a blood-sugar thing.)
I have a class at SFSU, so I couldn't get there on Wed before 7:30 PM.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
i'm asleep at the wheel:
i'll be performing with my band at the argus lounge on sat. 25 feb...

25.Feb.06
The Argus - http://www.arguslounge.com/
3187 Mission @ Valencia
San Francisco, CA
7:00pm
$5

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »
i walked out of my house last night around 7:15pm, and turned the corner onto valencia. i had an early birthday present in my pocket, and if i had been ready, i might have been able to take this shot with it:

only i wasn't prepared. and mario was on the phone. so i just said, "hello," and melvin replied, "hello." and that was that.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 07:41:51 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i walked out of my house last night around 7:15pm, and turned the corner onto valencia. i had an early birthday present in my pocket, and if i had been ready, i might have been able to take this shot with it:

only i wasn't prepared. and mario was on the phone. so i just said, "hello," and melvin replied, "hello." and that was that.

Poor Mario - if only they'd've greenlighted that Marvin Gaye biopic a decade sooner, he'd'a been a shoo-in.  And if I'd walked home from the gym on Valencia as I usually do, rather than taking the bus up Mission to the Lumiere, I woulda seen them too!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New gig
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »
So gang, I'm about to lose my Saturdays for the near-term future.  I just got a part-time job with Time magazine, re-formatting and re-texting their U.S. stories for their international editions: changing measurements to metric, spelling out unfamiliar abbreviations, fixing idioms and other language particulars that may not be relevant or operative in Asia or Australia.  It's one day a week, Saturday from 9am to 2am (not a typo, it's a 17-hour shift).  And if it goes well, it may open other editing and even writing opportunities with the Time Warner family.  Very promising.

Meantime, I've at long last compiled my "Songs for Underdogs" collection.  Had to lose a few desired tracks to fit on one CD; maybe I'll do a Vol. 2 someday.  If anyone wants a copy, let me know.  Here's the track listing:

1. Intro: Donny Hathaway, “Maude”
2. Sly & the Family Stone, “Underdog”
3. Elton John, “Bitter Fingers”
4. Bocephus King, “Wreck of the Century”
5. Aimee Mann, “Goodbye Caroline”
6. Stereophonics, “Handbags & Gladrags”
7. Dandy Warhols, “You Were the Last High”
8. Blur, “This Is a Low”
9. Todd Rundgren, “Just One Victory”
10. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, “Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?”
11. Gram Parsons, “A Song for You”
12. Waterboys, “Fisherman’s Blues”
13. Gerry Rafferty, “Right Down the Line”
14. Jason Mraz, “Plane”
15. Cat Stevens, “Sitting”
16. Steve Winwood, “While You See a Chance”
17. Jefferson Starship, “There Will Be Love.”
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New gig
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
Meantime, I've at long last compiled my "Songs for Underdogs" collection.  Had to lose a few desired tracks to fit on one CD; maybe I'll do a Vol. 2 someday.  If anyone wants a copy, let me know.  Here's the track listing:

8. Blur, “This Is a Low”
14. Jason Mraz, “Plane”

what about the theme from Underdog? "There's no need to fear..."

Congrats on the Time gig. An ex of mine worked on their website some ten years ago.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 03:34:07 PM »
So gang, I'm about to lose my Saturdays for the near-term future.  I just got a part-time job with Time magazine, re-formatting and re-texting their U.S. stories for their international editions: changing measurements to metric, spelling out unfamiliar abbreviations, fixing idioms and other language particulars that may not be relevant or operative in Asia or Australia.  It's one day a week, Saturday from 9am to 2am (not a typo, it's a 17-hour shift).  And if it goes well, it may open other editing and even writing opportunities with the Time Warner family.  Very promising.

8. Blur, “This Is a Low”
14. Jason Mraz, “Plane”

Congrats on getting an in at Time. Hope that shift is fairly lucrative and that you don't have to work it for too long--those hours sound just brutal. I've worked some 12-hour days before, and I can't imagine getting to that point and knowing you've still got five hours to go. On the other hand, you'll work a big chunk of the average workweek in one day, and then have six more days to work other gigs, write, or whatever. So there's a positive side there too.

And the comp sounds really cool--I'd love a copy.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2006, 03:04:55 PM »
Hey gang,

At about 4:00 pm today please aim all your positive vibes down towards Santa Clara.  I will be interviewing for a job at Cisco that sounds both exciting and it would be a big step forward.  I have been recommended by a mutual friend to the hiring manager, and there is another acquaintance of mine already on the team, so the stars are lined up about as favorably as I could hope for.  But I still have to go in and make it happen.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2006, 03:08:22 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey gang,

At about 4:00 pm today please aim all your positive vibes down towards Santa Clara.  I will be interviewing for a job at Cisco that sounds both exciting and it would be a big step forward.  I have been recommended by a mutual friend to the hiring manager, and there is another acquaintance of mine already on the team, so the stars are lined up about as favorably as I could hope for.  But I still have to go in and make it happen.

Consider vibes aimed. Go knock 'em dead, bro.

May be needing similar vibes at some point in the as-yet-undetermined future. Time is coming to start shopping my resume around--things are turning south at the internet farm. Sucks, but that's working at a big company for you.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Hey gang,

Consider vibes aimed. Go knock 'em dead, bro.

May be needing similar vibes at some point in the as-yet-undetermined future. Time is coming to start shopping my resume around--things are turning south at the internet farm. Sucks, but that's working at a big company for you.

Thanks!

I have enlisted an executive search firm to help me (& met with them at 11:00 for some interview coaching) & I have learned A LOT of useful & helpful stuff that I can share.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:26 PM »
Hey gang,

Bon chance! Do yo' dance!  (Both o' youz.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 06:07:51 PM »
Hey gang,

send me names, if you have them. i still have a lot of cisco contacts, and may be able to help....

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 06:12:28 PM »

8. Blur, “This Is a Low”
14. Jason Mraz, “Plane”

is it too late to sign up for this copy? email me, and i'll send you my latest snail mail addy. lady godiva was a jetsetter if you really looked in her cookbook. speaking of jetsetting...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 06:59:06 PM »

8. Blur, “This Is a Low”
14. Jason Mraz, “Plane”

is it too late to sign up for this copy? email me, and i'll send you my latest snail mail addy. lady godiva was a jetsetter if you really looked in her cookbook. speaking of jetsetting...

You got it!  The Lavarte gig looks right on!!  *applause*

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 09:10:12 PM »
lady godiva was a jetsetter if you really looked in her cookbook.

Lady Godiva was a freedom rider. But Joan of Arc -- there was a sister who really cooked!

And then there's Maude.