Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263927 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #465 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Thought I'd be here at 10am. First day off...went back to bed at 8am and just got up at 12:40. I have been running on 5-6 hours sleep a day for almost a year. Sleepy.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Thought I'd be here at 10am. First day off...went back to bed at 8am and just got up at 12:40. I have been running on 5-6 hours sleep a day for almost a year. Sleepy.

Good week to decompress. Do you a world of good.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 01, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
my mother died on Friday.  she had emphysema, COPD , a bunch of things that finally wore her down.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be there at the very end, I was still on the red-eye flying out.   At one point,  I opened my eyes and was able to see just a small part of the outside world through a window a few rows ahead of me.  My field of vision to the outside wasn't large at all, as I was sitting on an aisle and there were several heads in the way, but I could see a really beautiful bright orange moon near the horizon.  It was striking and strange.  I didn't know my mother had died at that point -- I wouldn't know until I landed a bit later at JFK -- so that moon means something to me now.

another weird and wonderful thing: I was with my brother later in the day -- he is taking it hard, as he has been our mom's primary caretaker and friend since she got sick, and he's my hero -- we looked out his window and sitting on his fence was a Mourning Dove. My brother said he hadn't seen a bird there all winter.  It sat there for 30 minutes, looking and blinking at us.  it was cold and windy enough to ruffle its feathers and make it teeter every now and then, but it was just stayed there. 

and this: my girlfriend told me my clock radio lost power that night: she looked over and saw the numbers blinking and showing the approximate time that my mother passed away.   

I've been a skeptic for a long time, and "I don't believe in those things," but if this keeps up, I don't know...  Mom had a great sense of humor and maybe she's just messing with me.  I will always miss her.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #468 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
my mother died on Friday.  she had emphysema, COPD , a bunch of things that finally wore her down.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be there at the very end, I was still on the red-eye flying out.   At one point,  I opened my eyes and was able to see just a small part of the outside world through a window a few rows ahead of me.  My field of vision to the outside wasn't large at all, as I was sitting on an aisle and there were several heads in the way, but I could see a really beautiful bright orange moon near the horizon.  It was striking and strange.  I didn't know my mother had died at that point -- I wouldn't know until I landed a bit later at JFK -- so that moon means something to me now.

another weird and wonderful thing: I was with my brother later in the day -- he is taking it hard, as he has been our mom's primary caretaker and friend since she got sick, and he's my hero -- we looked out his window and sitting on his fence was a Mourning Dove. My brother said he hadn't seen a bird there all winter.  It sat there for 30 minutes, looking and blinking at us.  it was cold and windy enough to ruffle its feathers and make it teeter every now and then, but it was just stayed there. 

and this: my girlfriend told me my clock radio lost power that night: she looked over and saw the numbers blinking and showing the approximate time that my mother passed away.   

I've been a skeptic for a long time, and "I don't believe in those things," but if this keeps up, I don't know...  Mom had a great sense of humor and maybe she's just messing with me.  I will always miss her.
very powerful stuff.  If you caught a good view of the moon, it was the closest to Earth all year.   My mom also has some form of COPD, but many other problems as well.  She wishes it was all over, but I think she's got a few more miles on her.

Take care, and take the time you need to process all this.  Big stuff.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
Wow, John - I'm sorry for your loss.  But I'm glad that you observed something poetic and beautiful in the midst of the painful situation.  Thanks for sharing this with us.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I'd noticed earlier today you hadn't posted much for awhile, and wondered if something was up. My condolences go out to you and your bro, and the rest of the family.

And don't discount the significance of those little things like the dove or your alarm clock. I used to be a little skeptical of such things too, but they keep happening and you have to wonder. Could be your mom sending a shoutout from the other side, just saying, "I'm OK" and sending her love.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
John, I'm so sorry. I'm also a skeptic (to say the least) but take comfort from those things. Glad you felt comfortable sharing that with all of us. We're thinking of you.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
I'll add my condolences as well, TC.  I don't know if there is significance in the events you describe, or the circumstances created the significance, but keep them in you heart and remember your mother and how you felt at the time through them.  Take care...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »
My thoughts are with you. I'm not able to articulate adequately the the condolences and best wishes I send your way but echo everything all others have shared. Take care.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
Hey John, a little slow checking the boards the past 24 hrs, and there's not much I can say that hasn't already been nicely put by the others here, but add my heartfelt condolences.  Keep your mourning & grief as centered on the love for your family as you can (and sounds like you are), and you'll all pull through.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 02, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
thanks for the kind words, you guys.  I really do appreciate that we're able to come here and share things with each other. 
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
I'd like to add my condolences as well, John.  I can relate to your story.  When my dad died in 2001, during my flight to/from Phoenix I too saw the clouds, sun, moon in a different way.  And, this is true, when I was awakened by that middle-of-the-night call with the news, I found myself flipped around in the bed, my head was at the foot-end!  That's the only time that's happened to me and I'd like to think it was my dad's sense of humor as his spirit passed on.  My mom is now 83 and will hopefully remain in relatively good health and independent for several years to come.  Take care all!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 06, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
Boobs always make me feel better.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 06, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »

Ha! I have a date with the Mirren on Monday nite -- her Oscar-nommed The Last Station (she plays Tolstoy's wife) opened in SF this week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 08, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

Ha! I have a date with the Mirren on Monday nite -- her Oscar-nommed The Last Station (she plays Tolstoy's wife) opened in SF this week.

BTW, here's a quote from Roger Ebert's review:

"Some women are simply sexy forever. Helen Mirren is a woman like that. She's 64. As she enters her 70s, we'll begin to develop a fondness for sexy septuagenarians".

and speaking of cougars: here's Kathryn Bigelow who's 58 and seriously HAWT:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:35:57 AM by urth »