Author Topic: 25 Oct 2011: It's.... 2000!  (Read 15352 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Oct 2011: It's.... 2000!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
Did I miss the White Stripes?
Melissa, the song clocked in at 1:50, so it's very possible to have missed it.

I honestly didn't realize it was them.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Going by what Mike wrote @ 10:09:

"Pretty Good Lookin'"?  not ringing a bell.

This does seem match the title of the WS song, which yes lists @ 10:07.  I wouldn't put it past AL to play an obscure WS song...nor would I put it past the WS to have a few non-WS sounding WS songs.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
Excellent investigative work, Det. radical347!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
I fail to understand the popularity of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Recycled Seinfeld + 4-letter-words.

Having watched an episode of Seinfeld last night, I don't know how I could ever stand a laugh track. Totally obnoxious.

Curb takes a few viewings to get into, but the last couple of seasons have been gold.

totally love Curb, but it took a few episodes to get into it.  seriously, I never laughed as hard as when I watched the episode Krazee Eyez Killa in Season 3.  I can see where it can irk people, just like George on Seinfeld.  

My favorite episode this season was "Palestinian Chicken".

"But Larry, they're anti-Semitic". "Yep, but that's the best fucking chicken I've ever tasted".

"Come on Larry, fuck me like you fucked our country"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
I fail to understand the popularity of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Recycled Seinfeld + 4-letter-words.

Having watched an episode of Seinfeld last night, I don't know how I could ever stand a laugh track. Totally obnoxious.

Curb takes a few viewings to get into, but the last couple of seasons have been gold.

totally love Curb, but it took a few episodes to get into it.  seriously, I never laughed as hard as when I watched the episode Krazee Eyez Killa in Season 3.  I can see where it can irk people, just like George on Seinfeld.  

I think the ep of Curb that won me over was the one where Larry and Ted Danson opened that restaurant w the chef who had Tourette's syndrome.

I don't like swearing, but I like Curb.  Talk about contradictions.

Swearing has its place if used in a clever way, and when it’s not done for swearing’s sake.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »

I think the ep of Curb that won me over was the one where Larry and Ted Danson opened that restaurant w the chef who had Tourette's syndrome.

I don't like swearing, but I like Curb.  Talk about contradictions.

Swearing has its place if used in a clever way, and when it’s not done for swearing’s sake.

right.  I agree, it has its place:
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/wellness/WTF.html

when I hear it in pop songs I usually end up shaking my head and get all indignant:  tsk tsk, Little Lion Man, you really did f*** it up this time!
~CPL593H~

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
I couldn't decide which Stream of Consciousness thread this belongs under, so I'm posting here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/u2-voted-greatest-act-of-the-last-25-years-at-music-magazine-award-ceremony-in-london/2011/10/24/gIQAVTVzCM_story.html
I thought the British were supposed to have taste . . .
Slipping into something

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
10/24/11 - Tuesday! Gotta Get Back to 2000 !

1. Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me
(Movie: Almost Famous - "One day you'll be cool")
 2. The White Stripes -You're Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)
(News: Tim Russert reporting - Election projection - Gore takes Florida)
 3. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
 4. Shelby Lynne - Gotta Get Back
 5. David Gray - Sail Away
(Movie:High Fidelity )
 6. Sade - By Your Side (B.O.S!)
(Movie: Meet The Parents - The polygraph test)
 7. Matchbox Twenty - Bent
(TV: Conan O'Brian - The presidential election isn't over yet...)
 8. B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With the King
 9. Uncle Kracker - Follow Me
(TV: Curb Your Enthusiasm- "I hope you stay lost!")
10. The Jayhawks - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
I couldn't decide which Stream of Consciousness thread this belongs under, so I'm posting here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/u2-voted-greatest-act-of-the-last-25-years-at-music-magazine-award-ceremony-in-london/2011/10/24/gIQAVTVzCM_story.html

I would've put this under the List Thread...
It could've been worse.  It could've been Oasis!

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »

This is a particularly vomit-worthy passage:
"Coldplay was voted Best Act in the World Today, although lead singer Chris Martin disagreed with the accolade.
'U2 are the best band in the world at the moment. We are about seventh,' he said."
I do like the Noel Gallagher quote in the article, though.
And thanks for the posting tip!
Slipping into something

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »

"Coldplay was voted Best Act in the World Today, although lead singer Chris Martin disagreed with the accolade.
'U2 are the best band in the world at the moment. We are about seventh,' he said."

heh, it's sort of funny, but if you don't like Coldplay (or if you hate them, which seems to be rather common), I could see some vomitus in your future.

RGMike recenly posted a link to Sasha-Frere Jones New Yorker blog WHY DON’T I LIKE COLDPLAY? AN INVESTIGATION, and Chris Martin's false modesty was one reason.  He does seem like a nice guy, but maybe that super-nice-guy act wears thin with some.  The day before she posted her blog, KFOG aired a morning show taped phone-in interview with Colplay. Martin said "we might tour (to support this new album); we'll have to see if the record gets a good reception."

Irish Greg said "Well, that just sounds like false modesty."

Chris Martin said "well... fuck you!"  (they bleeped it, natch).

...everyone laughed and laughed, and Greg said something like, "That's fair, I've got no problem with that."
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »

heh, it's sort of funny, but if you don't like Coldplay (or if you hate them, which seems to be rather common), I could see some vomitus in your future.

RGMike recenly posted a link to Sasha-Frere Jones New Yorker blog WHY DON’T I LIKE COLDPLAY? AN INVESTIGATION, and Chris Martin's false modesty was one reason.  He does seem like a nice guy, but maybe that super-nice-guy act wears thin with some.  The day before she posted her blog, KFOG aired a morning show taped phone-in interview with Colplay. Martin said "we might tour (to support this new album); we'll have to see if the record gets a good reception."

Irish Greg said "Well, that just sounds like false modesty."

Chris Martin said "well... fuck you!"  (they bleeped it, natch).

...everyone laughed and laughed, and Greg said something like, "That's fair, I've got no problem with that."
Domo arigato, Mylo Xyloto.  DOMO!

Don't care for Coldplay or the singer, but don't feel the need to clog up AL's FB page about it either.  Oh, and I just read this today:
http://www.celebitchy.com/188111/chris_martin_hangs_up_on_interview_after_too_many_questions_about_wife_gwyneth_paltrow_/

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »

Domo arigato, Mylo Xyloto.  DOMO!

So glad I'm not the only one who had thought that the first time I read that title. :D

Just curious: did any of the songs to which AL posted links last night get played in today's set?
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
Excellent investigative work, Det. radical347!

Thanks Josh! :D

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:07 PM »
Good ratings:
A
David Gray
Matchbox Twenty
Sade

B
Vertical Horizon
White Stripes
Barenaked Ladies

C
Shelby Lynne
Jayhawks
Eric Clapton

F
Uncle Kracker

Necessary ratings:
A
Sade (Did this ever chart on AAA?  If not, it should have)
Vertical Horizon (The poster child for AAA, it did crossed over to become the #1 pop hit of 2000 after all)

B
Shelby Lynne
Barenaked Ladies
White Stripes
Eric Clapton
Jayhawks
David Gray (Something more upbeat from him would have been better...like Please Forgive Me, which would have been perfect for 10@10.  But yeah, at least it wasn't Babylon.)

C
Matchbox Twenty

F
Uncle Kracker (Not particularly good & added nothing to the set)

Overall...great set.  Sounded like 2000 for sure & something for everyone.