Author Topic: KTKE - Truckeetahoeradio.com  (Read 4949 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
KTKE - Truckeetahoeradio.com
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
So we were up in Tahoe this weekend and I tuned into KTKE, a local station that I've always enjoyed when we were up there in the winter.

They didn't disappoint. On the way back to the hotel after seeing Michael Franti, they played a new song off of the Paul Simon album that *wasn't* the same one KFOG has been playing to death. Nice. Then they played a version of Van Morrison "Crazy Love" that I still haven't been able to i.d. (Their playlist only goes back about 3 hours. Time to write another script...)

So yesterday I got the fine folks at Receiva to add them to their database, and now my Livio Internet Radio can tune them in. Tuned in tonight and heard "Under Pressure"... ok. A little later heard a Red Hot Chili Peppers song that I hadn't heard in a while, "By The Way", and then they played Train's new song, then Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are" (a little dorky, but I love that song), then The Sam Roberts Band "The Last Crusade" (?), then ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man", then Shawn Mullins "Beautiful Wreck" then Jimi's "Purple Haze"?

Yeah, kind of all over the place. But I like it. I think it's something KFOG could aspire to, in terms of mix.

Check it out -- streaming via Silverlight (sorry):   http://truckeetahoeradio.com/

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KTKE - Truckeetahoeradio.com
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
So we were up in Tahoe this weekend and I tuned into KTKE, a local station that I've always enjoyed when we were up there in the winter.

They didn't disappoint. On the way back to the hotel after seeing Michael Franti, they played a new song off of the Paul Simon album that *wasn't* the same one KFOG has been playing to death. Nice. Then they played a version of Van Morrison "Crazy Love" that I still haven't been able to i.d. (Their playlist only goes back about 3 hours. Time to write another script...)

So yesterday I got the fine folks at Receiva to add them to their database, and now my Livio Internet Radio can tune them in. Tuned in tonight and heard "Under Pressure"... ok. A little later heard a Red Hot Chili Peppers song that I hadn't heard in a while, "By The Way", and then they played Train's new song, then Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are" (a little dorky, but I love that song), then The Sam Roberts Band "The Last Crusade" (?), then ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man", then Shawn Mullins "Beautiful Wreck" then Jimi's "Purple Haze"?

Yeah, kind of all over the place. But I like it. I think it's something KFOG could aspire to, in terms of mix.

Check it out -- streaming via Silverlight (sorry):   http://truckeetahoeradio.com/

Will def check 'em out later today; there are lots of these smallish, less-corporate Triple-As around the country. Sadly, KFOG will never sound like that -- they're still consultant-approved and computer-generated, it's just the computer program that's been tweaked. They've essentially swapped out "Rocket man" and "Sweet Home Alabummer" 17 times a week in favor of "7 nation Army" and "Closing Time" 17 times a week.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:29:21 PM »
So I tuned in a while ago: Pink Floyd "Time" followed by the current Coldplay, with U2 and Bell-X-1 coming up.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
1:48AM is a bad time to get a fair sampling, but right now they're playing Galactic's "Heart of Steel" w/ Irma Thomas on vocs. Sweet.

Next up:  Pete Yorn "Strange Condition"

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »
Nicole Atkins - "Cry Cry Cry"
Indigenous - "C'mon Suzy"
Ziggy Marley - "Forward To Love"

Except for Ziggy, the other two were NTM. Thank god for Shazam and Soundhound, since my Livio apparently can't parse their playlist data (or their WMA stream doesn't contain it). Their playlist online seems about 2-3 songs behind. I'm guessing manually updated. Ugh. I'm now capturing a copy of it every 3 hours, because I'm weird like that.

Just played, Steve Forbert's "Romeo's Tune", which is vaguely familiar.
But oof, now they're playing Fastball's "The Way", which Alice (and KFOG?) killed for me, in the late 90s.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:10:24 AM by darryl »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
Aaaand, there's Coldplay's new one. *Off*

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
a new song off of the Paul Simon album that *wasn't* the same one KFOG has been playing to death.

What's KFOG playing - the "fill out a form, and you stand in a line" song?  I'm really digging that.  As an aside, my roommate has a program on his Mac laptop that recites text on any page in a synthesized semi-monotone; he ran the lyrics of that song through it and it became 5x better.

Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are" (a little dorky, but I love that song)

Me too!  You let me CHANGE lanes!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
a new song off of the Paul Simon album that *wasn't* the same one KFOG has been playing to death.

What's KFOG playing - the "fill out a form, and you stand in a line" song?  I'm really digging that.  As an aside, my roommate has a program on his Mac laptop that recites text on any page in a synthesized semi-monotone; he ran the lyrics of that song through it and it became 5x better.

afaik, KFOG is playing the "Afterlife" song you describe and more recently is playing the title track.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »

What's KFOG playing - the "fill out a form, and you stand in a line" song?  I'm really digging that.  As an aside, my roommate has a program on his Mac laptop that recites text on any page in a synthesized semi-monotone; he ran the lyrics of that song through it and it became 5x better.

afaik, KFOG is playing the "Afterlife" song you describe and more recently is playing the title track.

KFOG has been *heavily* playing "Afterlife" since April. I too liked it -- the first 100 times I heard it.

But nope, the song KTKE has in rotation is "Love and Blessings".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP1CCH7DEQM

Interesting tidbit from Wikipedia: "Love and Blessings" contains excerpts from "Golden Gate Gospel Train", recorded by The Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet in 1938.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Beautiful_or_So_What

Gotta love a station that *doesn't* play the official single from a new album. Well, I love 'em.