Author Topic: 4 Aug 2011: it's 1994  (Read 9176 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 4 Aug 2011: it's 1994
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
perusing the FB comments -- another wildly divisive '90s set. Some just looooove DMB , others want to slit their wrists.
Yeah, Sonic Youth was like nails on a blackboard to me, while I'm sure others were saying: "cool!  this is really great!"

I thought it was a nice palate cleanser after Hootie.

so what Geoff is saying is that their guitars don't sound so sweet or clear?   ;D

I agree w Darryl, nice palate cleanser.. er, scrubber.
"get off my lawn!" dig duly accepted with humor.  Let me add that it's not so much a palate cleanser as a vomiting agent to purge the Hootie!  And no, I like plenty of loud distorted guitar licks.  I think the tones in the song were designed to irritate old people like me!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »
AL posted that Mazzy Star won BOS and Richard Sands (former Live 105 PD) said "as played originally on Live 105!"  LOL!

So I replied "@Richard: it has been noted here a number of times that many of the great songs we hear in '90s-centric 10@10s were 'Live 105 only' tracks. You guys really kicked butt back then. Thanks for the memories!"

8/4/11- Thursday! Welcome to...1994!!

1.  Green Day- Welcome to Paradise
 2.  The Pretenders- Night In My Veins
(NEWS:OJ Simpson/Susan Smith/Lorena Bobbitt)
 3.  The Eagles- Get Over It
 4.  Eric Clapton- I'm Tore Down
(MOVIE: Pulp Fiction)
 5.  Urge Overkill- Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon
 6.  Mazzy Star- Fade Into You (BOS!)
 7.  Hootie & The Blowfish- Time
(NEWS: Jackie O has died)
 8.  Sonic Youth- Supertstar
(TV: The Simpsons)
 9.  Dave Matthews Band- Ants Marching
10.  Elastica- Connection

Talk about a mixed bag -- the Sonic Youth was the only bustout, afaik, and (especially now) the DMB was painfully unnecessary.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:52:44 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
Gah, Hootie? Nooooo!

I'm kinda surprised they haven't been showing up in the regular rotation -- I'd think that'd hit the soccer-mom sweet-spot.  ;)

Noooooooo....NOBODY likes Hootie anymore.  Not even the soccer moms.  There's a reason why they haven't been played anywhere for the past 17 years. ;)  (Which is, consequently, the only thing that prevents me from WOS'ing it.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »
Not spectacular but could have been much worse. 
BOS Sonic Youth.
Sadly, Elastica and Urge Overkill have become Katrinas. 
I'm also sadly going to have to deem Mazzy Star most unnecessary.  Other than it sounding different I'm not terribly thrilled with much about it, & I hear it too much on Live and Alice and probably KFOG now too.  (It's one of the songs that alt./AAA stations specifically play just so they can say they're 'different.'  Just like the rest of the stations.) 
DMB was good back then; can't get too worked up over "Ants Marching."  IMO they didn't officially start to suck until "Stand Up."  ("Everyday" wasn't great, though.) 
Hootie > Sonic Youth > DMB does indeed sound like KFOG these days.
I'm glad we got "Welcome to Paradise" instead of "When I Come Around" & "Night in My Veins" instead of "I'll Stand by You."
I won't complain about not hearing "Return to Innocence" by Enigma because we're getting that in regular programming now. :) (Along with "Sadeness Pt. I!")
I will, however, still complain about not hearing Real McCoy.  Maybe in 3 weeks.